Brock Purdy is the most clutch player in the state of Iowa's history

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
He was rolling out of the pocket when he threw it. He leads receivers a lot. He has a great arm he's completing 71.4% of his passes this year

Completion percentage is important but at the same time over-rated. Yards per attempt is the one I think for when looking at a quarterback.

WITHOUT A DOUBT COMPLETING PASSES IS KEY.

Just wanted to caps that to make sure everyone knows I'm not discrediting that.... but if a quarterback has a high completion percentage at 5 yards an attempt... is that really a great thing? Its certainly better than not completing 4 or 5 yard passes, yes. 1 million percent. A completed pass is always better than an incomplete one. Impossible to argue that.

But for me - its the quarterbacks who have a higher completion further down the field that stand out of part of judging a quarterback's arm strength.

Again, yes, other factors go into that. Weather, a receiver's ability to separate... but's also a by product of a quarterback's ability to throw into tight spaces and complete passes further down the field.

This isn't meant as hating on Brock. He's a fine college quarterback, a great leader, a great teammate and a great Cyclone and undeniably as play a large role in some of the best years in the history of Iowa State football and will be missed on and off the field...

its just my own observation that while I would say he's arm is good enough - I'd not call it great. most quarterbacks arms are not great. so that's not really a knock. its average, above average, whatever you want to call it. for me, the quarterbacks with great arm talent are generally the ones drafted very, very early on in the NFL.

we're certainly a better team and program because of Brock Purdy. Thats an indisputable fact. You can both acknowledge that while also acknowledging that he's not blessed with amazing incredible arm strength I believe

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Completion percentage is important but at the same time over-rated. Yards per attempt is the one I think for when looking at a quarterback.

WITHOUT A DOUBT COMPLETING PASSES IS KEY.

Just wanted to caps that to make sure everyone knows I'm not discrediting that.... but if a quarterback has a high completion percentage at 5 yards an attempt... is that really a great thing? Its certainly better than not completing 4 or 5 yard passes, yes. 1 million percent. A completed pass is always better than an incomplete one. Impossible to argue that.

But for me - its the quarterbacks who have a higher completion further down the field that stand out of part of judging a quarterback's arm strength.

Again, yes, other factors go into that. Weather, a receiver's ability to separate... but's also a by product of a quarterback's ability to throw into tight spaces and complete passes further down the field.

This isn't meant as hating on Brock. He's a fine college quarterback, a great leader, a great teammate and a great Cyclone and undeniably as play a large role in some of the best years in the history of Iowa State football and will be missed on and off the field...

its just my own observation that while I would say he's arm is good enough - I'd not call it great. most quarterbacks arms are not great. so that's not really a knock. its average, above average, whatever you want to call it. for me, the quarterbacks with great arm talent are generally the ones drafted very, very early on in the NFL.

we're certainly a better team and program because of Brock Purdy. Thats an indisputable fact. You can both acknowledge that while also acknowledging that he's not blessed with amazing incredible arm strength I believe
He's at 8.1 yards per attempt

I never said he has incredible arm strength. I said he has an incredible arm because it's true

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Nice job Brock! You are indeed the best QB ISU has had, debatable but I think true.

Hope he continues to do his thing the rest of the year. After that we can see what happens in the Pros, or not. It would not surprise me if he went Pro and did very well as a well paid back-up?

Reactions: CloneIce