CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
PFF graded Brock Purdy as the highest rated player on either team in the Fiesta Bowl.

Kene was our 2nd highest rated offensive player.

Zach Petersen (only 10 snaps) was our highest rated defensive player followed by Mike Rose.
Purdy plays his best when the lights are the brightest

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
All Sage did was lead us to first 9 win season in forever and our very first bowl win. Not saying Sage is the GOAT, but a winner just like Purdy, Breece and Rose, and deserves much more love. Sage led us to our only other 9 win season in modern era.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just bumping this because Matt Campbell says Purdy will leave the best football player ever at Iowa State. For those of you who disagreed with the OP, are you saying Matt Campbell is wrong?

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Just bumping this because Matt Campbell says Purdy will leave the best football player ever at Iowa State. For those of you who disagreed with the OP, are you saying Matt Campbell is wrong?

Meh, OP has paper hands.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Coolerifyoudid is reluctant to engage people that talk about themselves in the third person.

Reactions: algonacy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

OK, tell why Brock Purdy is better than Troy Davis.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
OK, tell why Brock Purdy is better than Troy Davis.

While Troy was a singular force that is probably unmatched in production, specifically, Brock has great overall stats, the wins, and the culture change to hang his hat on. I believe Purdy, among others, is the foundation for what Campbell is trying to do here. Add on top that he is a wonderful ambassador for Iowa State and I think it stands to reason he might go down as the best to ever do it here.

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
While Troy was a singular force that is probably unmatched in production, specifically, Brock has great overall stats, the wins, and the culture change to hang his hat on. I believe Purdy, among others, is the foundation for what Campbell is trying to do here. Add on top that he is a wonderful ambassador for Iowa State and I think it stands to reason he might go down as the best to ever do it here.
I completely agree with what you are saying. But watching history being made when Troy was playing. I don't think anything compares to that. I guess all I can say is I wish Troy was on the current team. Maybe 3000 yards back to back seasons. Not taking anything away from Breece Hall or Brock Purdy. They are very good. The game has changed since Troy was playing to now. So let's not turn this into an argument about what player was better or what team was better. let's be thankful for what we have now. GO CYCLONES !!!!!

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was thinking today about how there will be many records broken by our team in the coming years, etc...and that's good...doesn't take away from past great players, but we are getting to the next level. Ultimately any "best" discussion will have variables people use to meet their narrative. Agree....Troy was great and certainly THE ONLY bright spot for that era so resonates with so many. Same with Seneca....certainly was the brightest spot in a resurgence of ISU football....but didn't win the big games, etc...and that's ok!
"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yep. The majority of this board wanted Purdy benched midway through the year. I admit I was one that thought Purdy needed to sit for a series or two after his 3 INTs in the 1st half of that one game.

Purdy did have a pretty rough start to the year though. Missing guys, throwing into double and triple coverage, always throwing late and often off his back foot, etc. But the last half of the year he has been great..... no doubt about that.
I disagreed with this because the majority of the board did not want Purdy benched. There were a vocal few shouting for it, but the majority were levelheaded enough to know that that was a stupid, knee jerk reaction to a few tough games from Purdy.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I must have missed people wanting Purdy benched, but nothing here surprises me lol. A loud few doesn’t equal “the majority”

I however do remember a lot of people wanting a new OC and to hire a ST’s coach.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I disagreed with this because the majority of the board did not want Purdy benched. There were a vocal few shouting for it, but the majority were levelheaded enough to know that that was a stupid, knee jerk reaction to a few tough games from Purdy.

I remember posting about putting Dekkers in after the 3rdish pick in the Baylor game but I think I was thinking more of giving him a break for a series or two and let him settle down, not as a benching forever or even as a punishment.

Luckily CMC knows Purdy better than any of us and let him work his own way out of it.

I'd wonder if there was some sort of real 'grounded' discussion at half time there because after that Purdy seemed to let the short game take care of everything else. But that may have also been a change with the whole offensive unit.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Statistically sure he's the best. Athletically, I disagree. Overall I have no problem giving him the crown.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I must have missed people wanting Purdy benched, but nothing here surprises me lol. A loud few doesn’t equal “the majority”

I however do remember a lot of people wanting a new OC and to hire a ST’s coach.

I didn't want Purdy "benched", but I wanted Campbell to get him out of the Baylor game for a bit to get his head back on straight. Like taking a pitcher out who's getting shellacked. I had confidence that Purdy was still our #1 QB, but I didn't think he would come back in that game the way he did.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and madguy30

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron