Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
GOAT arguments are so subjective.

As a Peyton Manning fan, I've been arguing for years that Drew Brees and Manning are both better QBs than Brady. Brady's stats are great, but not as good as those two. I finally quit trying to make that argument because Tom Brady leads stats where it matters, winning. I'd certainly like to think Manning and Brees could have won just as much with Brady's defenses and running games, but I guess we will never know. Brady is the undisputed NFL GOAT.

With Brock Purdy, he is the best QB in ISU history by BOTH the statistical category and the winning category. I'd like to think that earns him the GOAT status QB wise. Love this kid and will enjoy watching the rest of his career at ISU. Love Seneca too, but by the two best metrics we have to really show who was best Purdy leads in both.

I find a harder argument saying he is the GOAT player over Troy Davis. Davis was a statistical machine and invited to the Heisman twice getting runner up once. He may not have won as much, but his accomplishments are hard to argue with.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I hate doing these comparisons. I love having Brock Purdy as our QB, he's great no doubt.... I just think our offense would go to an entirely different level with Seneca as QB.

Honestly, best player to ever wear an ISU uniform just might be Kelechi Osemele IMO. Or maybe Keith Sims? Marcus Robertson? Tim Dobbins?

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
GOAT arguments are so subjective.

As a Peyton Manning fan, I've been arguing for years that Drew Brees and Manning are both better QBs than Brady. Brady's stats are great, but not as good as those two. I finally quit trying to make that argument because Tom Brady leads stats where it matters, winning. I'd certainly like to think Manning and Brees could have won just as much with Brady's defenses and running games, but I guess we will never know. Brady is the undisputed NFL GOAT.

With Brock Purdy, he is the best QB in ISU history by BOTH the statistical category and the winning category. I'd like to think that earns him the GOAT status QB wise. Love this kid and will enjoy watching the rest of his career at ISU. Love Seneca too, but by the two best metrics we have to really show who was best Purdy leads in both.

I find a harder argument saying he is the GOAT player over Troy Davis. Davis was a statistical machine and invited to the Heisman twice getting runner up once. He may not have won as much, but his accomplishments are hard to argue with.
Both Purdy and Davis are "statistical machines" for their position. Purdy was breaking career passing records as a sophomore. When you account for the "winning category", Purdy is the clear winner here. It's clear that Davis was special but he won 5 total games in his career. Davis didn't change the direction of the program or lead us to a major bowl game. It's hard for me to say he is the GOAT.

Purdy's resume in 2 1/2 years is far more impressive than what Davis achieved individually.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Wallace has more career ints than touchdowns. He was more dangerous on the move but overall QB, it's Brock and it's not even close.

This is a problem when the only way you judge a player is by looking at their stats. Aside from his highlight reels, you did not see him play.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I hate doing these comparisons. I love having Brock Purdy as our QB, he's great no doubt.... I just think our offense would go to an entirely different level with Seneca as QB.

I agree with you that Seneca would elevate this offense.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
This is a problem when the only way you judge a player is by looking at their stats. Aside from his highlight reels, you did not see him play.
Stats help paint a picture. While I didn't see him play, it's clear he wasn't as accurate as some people remembered.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree. I saw Seneca in person singlehandedly beat Iowa at Kinnick the year that was Iowa's only loss of the entire year.
When you were at a game that Seneca was playing in, he stood out as probably the best athlete on the field.... and it usually wasn't that close honestly. But on top of that, he could complete every throw too.... even on a dead run.

I might have to stick with Kelechi Osemele though as the best player to ever wear an ISU uniform.

Reactions: clone2003

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I don't really understand this. You can judge a player based on statistics or winning. I literally say in the OP there have been faster and stronger players and I am not judging on those merits. You're basically saying take away statistics and winning and Seneca had more athleticism?

• Agree
Reactions: Busch__Latte

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Both Purdy and Davis are "statistical machines" for their position. Purdy was breaking career passing records as a sophomore. When you account for the "winning category", Purdy is the clear winner here. It's clear that Davis was special but he won 5 total games in his career. Davis didn't change the direction of the program or lead us to a major bowl game. It's hard for me to say he is the GOAT.

Purdy's resume in 2 1/2 years is far more impressive than what Davis achieved individually.

Easier to judge a QB by wins and losses than a RB.

Davis wasn't just an ISU statistical machine dude is a national statistical machine. Still has the 8th most yards all-time for a single season in 1996 and is still 32nd in 1995.

I don't believe Purdy is on any all-time lists for QBs.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Easier to judge a QB by wins and losses than a RB.

Davis wasn't just an ISU statistical machine dude is a national statistical machine. Still has the 8th most yards all-time for a single season in 1996 and is still 32nd in 1995.

I don't believe Purdy is on any all-time lists for QBs.
Well, we ran the ball twice as many times as we passed it. You won't find many if any teams that still play like that. Davis played in the perfect system with awful players around him.

Reactions: Scruff

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't really understand this. You can judge a player based on statistics or winning. I literally say in the OP there have been faster and stronger players and I am not judging on those merits. You're basically saying take away statistics and winning and Seneca had more athleticism?

Do you not understand sports that there are great players on bad teams? You can also judge players on supporting cast and coaching. Brock has way better of both. Seneca doesn't have the stats or winning that Brock does, but I can still think he was a better quarterback.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nobody in the country is talking about Purdy like they were about Seneca when he played.... period. Just watch this video from back then.....

• Useful
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyBobby and CyTwins

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's clonedude but this is an all-timer

Do you really want me to go back through all the game threads on this site where everyone is screaming about how Purdy can't hit the broad side of a barn.... and how he's just not himself this year, etc, etc, etc. There's TONS of them.

But yeah.... funny how everyone forgets all that now that we're headed for the Big 12 championship game.

I've said I love Brock Purdy and I'm so glad we have him as our QB..... I just don't believe at this moment that he's the best ISU player ever. Sorry if that offends people..... geez.

It would be like me saying that all of you people that think Purdy is the best ever must hate Seneca Wallace and didn't think he was any good. I don't believe you think that at all.... I'm sure you loved Seneca too.