CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Seneca & Sage went on to play multiple seasons in the NFL. No one will ever break Troy’s records. Seneca was the only reason we were competitive in 2002. If you saw him play in person, you knew he was one of the most athletically talented people to ever wear cardinal and gold. Imagine what those guys could have done on an Alabama roster.

It’s still too early to crown Purdy, but yes- he will be one of the greats for sure.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is a case of recentism but it's intriguing.
Nothing against Jack Whitver, Lane Danielson and Hiawatha Rutland... but we will never know what Seneca would do with David Montgomery, Breece Hall, Hakeem Butler and Charlie Kolar. Not to mention Coach Heacock's defense.
Seneca had more interceptions than touchdown passes at Iowa State.

He only completed 55% of his passes as a senior and had 18 INTs to 15 TDs

This isn't recentism. Brock is like way better than Seneca was and it's really not even close

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames

This isn't recentism. Brock is like way better than Seneca was and it's really not even close

If we are talking stats then yes, Brock is way better and will blow them all away once he's done. He has so many better players around him to make plays.

If you put them on the same field with the same players? I'm not sure I can say 'Brock is quite a bit better than Seneca lol'. It's fun to imagine though.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Brock would have struggled with that offensive line and lack of running game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If we are talking stats then yes, Brock is way better and will blow them all away once he's done. He has so many better players around him to make plays.

If you put them on the same field with the same players? I'm not sure I can say 'Brock is quite a bit better than Seneca lol'. It's fun to imagine though.
Hard to disagree. Seneca turned the ball over a lot though. That translates IMO

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I won't argue for or against Brock at this stage in his career, but. . .

ISU QB records are/were absolute trash.

I agree that ISUs records were trash, but don't just compare what Purdy has done with our records. Went to through this with some iowa fans in the past, his single season passing yard record is top 5 at most schools and #1 at a lot as well. I probably looked up 50 schools when I was debating the Squawk. My point was to prove that he isn't just good by ISU standards.

I don't know if he is the best player, but he is the best QB in my opinion.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There may have been more athletic players, or better arms, or better stories, but pound-for-pound, looking at the body of work, #15 is the greatest to ever don the cardinal and gold. It was true before today and now it has been affirmed.
Nope

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Seneca was considered the best back up QB in the pros for a long time. If Brock brings home the B12 title we can talk.
I love Seneca. Have his jersey. Autographed football in a case. Trust me this isn't shade on Seneca. Brock is a better college QB though

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Brock is best QB we’ve had...and it’s not close really. Like others have said..Troy Davis(who I watched numerous times) was heisman finalist..twice. Him losing to Danny W is still biggest he is man joke in history..

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
That's like saying if Kirk Cousins played for the 2010 Saints he'd be a better QB. You only have what you have and your actions are shaped by those on your team. Any variable may change the way you approach preparation or execution.
Kirk Cousins? that's about as random as it gets.
I'm afraid I don't believe college football (or high school) compares to the NFL so I can't agree with this analogy.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
Somebody said because Seneca was a good backup for a decade in the NFL that makes him a better quarterback while he was at Iowa State. thank you for confirming the NFL has nothing to do with college football production.
Don't get caught up purely on the college stat sheet though. Do you think Todd Bandhauer or Bret Meyer were better college football players than Seneca Wallace?

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's like saying if Kirk Cousins played for the 2010 Saints he'd be a better QB. You only have what you have and your actions are shaped by those on your team. Any variable may change the way you approach preparation or execution.
True, but being around this team, including a really good defense vs what past QBs had is more than just a minor variable.

I do think Purdy is the best QB in ISU history, but it’s really hard to compare, especially vs a guy like Wallace. The game was on Wallace’s shoulders, and anything less than magic and ISU lost. There was never the luxury to “not try to do too much.” If he didn’t do too much ISU lost.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
True, but being around this team, including a really good defense vs what past QBs had is more than just a minor variable.

I do think Purdy is the best QB in ISU history, but it’s really hard to compare, especially vs a guy like Wallace. The game was on Wallace’s shoulders, and anything less than magic and ISU lost. There was never the luxury to “not try to do too much.” If he didn’t do too much ISU lost.

I'd have to go Brock, George, Seneca as 1-2-3 for Cyclone QBs.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hard to disagree. Seneca turned the ball over a lot though. That translates IMO
I agree Brock is better, but it’s apples to oranges when you are handing off to Hiawatha Rutland and throwing to walk-ons from Dike and Grinnell.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron