• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
One of the best but I am never a fan of deciding the best player. Some of his predecessors were great too and they had different challenges than Purdy.
Seneca and Sage were great for us and were able to find some success in the NFL. I would like know what Seneca could have been if he spent four seasons with us and if we had a good RB like Ennis Haywood to complement him in his second season.
Let’s hope he continues to have success for the rest of this season, next year and after college

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Troy Davis was a Heisman Trophy finalist 2 years in a row.

Brock might be the best player during the best era of Iowa State football, but it’s hard to argue against a player that was among the top 5 players in college football 2 years in a row. Runner up one year.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Troy Davis was a Heisman Trophy finalist 2 years in a row.

Brock might be the best player during the best era of Iowa State football, but it’s hard to argue against a player that was amount the top 5 players in college football 2 years in a row. Runner up one year.

this is good football, but the best era? Need to see more. The teams under Earle Bruce were the best I’ve ever seen.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I will have to say Troy Davis as best player. Breece could change that if he sticks until he is a senior. But Brock is definitely the best winner and was critical for this period of success

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Objectively, yes, this is the best era.

Earle Bruce was 26-27 at this point in his Iowa State career with no bowl games, and 5-14 vs Top 25 teams.

Matt Campbell is 33-27 with three bowl games, and 8-12 vs Top 25 teams.
One of these days, I will read one of your posts instead of staring at your avatar.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
I will have to say Troy Davis as best player. Breece could change that if he sticks until he is a senior. But Brock is definitely the best winner and was critical for this period of success

i think you make the key differentiation between 'winner' and 'player.'

it is entirely possible that ISU never again has anyone as singularly special as TD. the truth is, a big part of what made him special was the adversity. neither Brock nor Breece will have to face quite the same pressures as Troy (different pressures, to be sure).

• Agree
Reactions: scratch