ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
This team is a lot worse with Seneca. We rely on RPO and our pass catchers rely on timing routes. Brock is elite at both

You can't do that though. They built this offense to highlight Purdy's strengths - not Seneca's, clearly. Imagine Breece Hall running a stretch play off tackle and Seneca Wallace running bootleg action off of that with these tight ends (good luck stopping that). Listen, winners win and Brock is the winnignest QB ever at Iowa State. I agree he is the best to ever do it here but just reminding some of the younger generation Seneca was pretty damn good in his own right. Would have loved to have seen him surrounded by more talent.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
this is good football, but the best era? Need to see more. The teams under Earle Bruce were the best I’ve ever seen.

I was at ISU in that era. Bruce’s teams were fun to watch, but Heacock’s defense is light years better. The current team is far more well rounded.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Purdy will get drafted so not sure what you're getting at
He is a mid rounder in my opinion, but yeah he will be drafted for sure.

I think he could be a 2nd rounder if he fixes a few things - throwing off his back foot, throwing into double and triple coverage etc. There are some games where he looks great and other games where I'm yelling "what the hell are you doing?!?!" at my TV.

Still, Brock is a winner and will probably be a good backup NFL quarterback for a long time, similar to Colt McCoy.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If you're under the age of 35, please don't bloviate w/ the "Brock is better than Seneca" claim

It's like the "Lebron > MJ" debate.

You have no idea WTF you're talking about

Seneca in 2002> starts 6-1. ranked in the top-10 despite a horrible O-Coordinator.
Oklahoma drill us the next game--and ISU goes 1-6 to finish season w/ loss to Boise St

The last 7 games? The opponent knew EXACTLY our entire offense, every play.

Some of Seneca's WR's in 2002?

Ryan Baum
Todd Miller
Jack Whitver

(not exactly Lazard, Butler, or even Akers)

Seneca would be 9-0 with this team today

period
You're right, it is just like the Lebron vs MJ debate. People refuse to believe anyone could ever be better than their childhood/young adulthood heroes. I don't know how it's much of a debate at this point that Purdy is better. I'll take Sage's opinion over literally anyone on this board

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If Purdy gets more snaps in the NFL than Seneca.... I'll admit you win this argument.

I just wonder.... let's say Purdy doesn't get drafted.... why do you think that would be? His size? Well Seneca was smaller. What else would it be?

I can tell you why Tebow sucked in the NFL.... he had a really slow release and basically stared down his first option and if that wasn't open he was usually screwed. So yes, at Florida he got by with those weaknesses as a QB, but they were still weaknesses as a QB. If someone doesn't have those weaknesses, they are a better QB than he is.
Was Montgomery a better running back at ISU than Troy Davis?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I don't know, I was a heavy regular in the bar scene during the '80s. I saw some big time playas in there. I was never one, but not for lack of trying.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
We've come a long way this year with Purdy.

First few games: He has regressed throughout his career. He's lucky he's not picked off more with the throws he attempts to make.
Middle few games: Dekkers looked great and throws a better ball. He should see some action. Bench him! (Baylor first half)
Last couple games: Greatest. Quarterback. Ever.

This board is hilarious.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

First few games: He has regressed throughout his career. He's lucky he's not picked off more with the throws he attempts to make.
Middle few games: Dekkers looked great and throws a better ball. He should see some action. Bench him! (Baylor first half)

This board is hilarious.

You mean BiPolar

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

This board is hilarious.

And WV has a pretty aggressive defense I think so we'll see which way the narrative is swinging after Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This board is hilarious.

Yep. The majority of this board wanted Purdy benched midway through the year. I admit I was one that thought Purdy needed to sit for a series or two after his 3 INTs in the 1st half of that one game.

Purdy did have a pretty rough start to the year though. Missing guys, throwing into double and triple coverage, always throwing late and often off his back foot, etc. But the last half of the year he has been great..... no doubt about that.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
You're right, it is just like the Lebron vs MJ debate. People refuse to believe anyone could ever be better than their childhood/young adulthood heroes. I don't know how it's much of a debate at this point that Purdy is better. I'll take Sage's opinion over literally anyone on this board
Brock is the more 'successful' QB thus far, or sure.

Better than Wallace? Seneca had 1-AA talent around him, sans 2-3 teammates who made it to the NFL

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
PFF graded Brock Purdy as the highest rated player on either team in the Fiesta Bowl.

Kene was our 2nd highest rated offensive player.

Zach Petersen (only 10 snaps) was our highest rated defensive player followed by Mike Rose.