Bridget Carleton Named To Canada’s Junior National Team

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If anyone does watch it, feel free to post timestamps of nice plays by Carleton so anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole thing can see highlights. :)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Not a good first quarter for Bridget or Canada. U.S. is out to a 28 to 5 lead. U.S. is just much more athletic, physical, and play a pretty much in-your-face defense. Bridget is 0-3, including 0-1 from 3 point range. Has one steal. Started, played a little under 7 minutes of the 10 minute quarter.

2nd quarter......pretty much more of the same. 55-17 U.S. at halftime. Bridget came back in with about 7 minutes left in quarter. Bridget is now 1-7. She hit 1 of her 4 3 pointers, and hit 1 of 2 free throws. Shoots free throws with confidence though. Coach took her out shortly after she hit 3 point shot, right before quarter ended. Canada has 14 turnovers in first half....Bridget has none. Canada has no ability to get it inside against taller U.S. team, and also does not have enough speed to keep up with U.S. guards in transition defense.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not a good first quarter for Bridget or Canada. U.S. is out to a 28 to 5 lead. U.S. is just much more athletic, physical, and play a pretty much in-your-face defense. Bridget is 0-3, including 0-1 from 3 point range. Has one steal. Started, played a little under 7 minutes of the 10 minute quarter.

I watched some of the play last year in the class one year younger and was not very impressed with the international play and of the Canadian team in general. Will be interesting to see how she adapts to some of the basketbrawl in the NCAA.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well that 1st half was unbelievably ugly. :eek:

TT's Hopkins HS team could have given this USA all-star team a better game.

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I watched some of the play last year in the class one year younger and was not very impressed with the international play and of the Canadian team in general. Will be interesting to see how she adapts to some of the basketbrawl in the NCAA.

Agreed......Canada can't do anything inside at all, and their point guard play seems to be pretty poor in general. Bridget does not seem to mind physical play though. With the switches on defense, she has gotten matched up against what would be considered some 4's I guess, and hasn't backed down at all. So that is encouraging.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
3rd quarter.....rinse, repeat.......more of the same. U.S. 74 Canada 27. Bridget did miss one more shot, so now 1-8. She did add a couple of rebounds and another steal though. Not sure what the Canada coach's strategy is/was but he played most of the 3rd quarter with at least 3 starters on the bench. Bridget played about 4 minutes in the quarter.

4th quarter. Really don't understand this coach's rotation plan. Bridget started the 4th, but then was taken out after a little over 2 minutes of play. I mean, from what I could see, it's not like he had better options to put in for her or that she was doing something bad out there. Maybe he is trying to get other players more experience for next year's U20 team?

Final........U.S. 93 Canada 45. Bridget finished 1/9 from the field....1/4 from 3 point range.

Final stats....if interested...
http://www.fiba.com/ls/#8051&11722-40-A

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Canada had 22 fouls and 32 turnovers, yet Carleton (who played over half the game) was 0 and 0 in those categories. She also had half of her team's 6 steals.

Her 1/9 was bad, but the team shot under 25% overall. USA is just stacked.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I started watching today's game early in the 4th quarter, the first game I've watched. She's good at creating her own shot. I look forward to seeing her play Div I basketball -- what I saw from the u19 game was pretty sloppy from everyone involved (including the refs).

Anyway, she had another tough shooting game -- 4-17 from the field (2-7 on threes). She takes a fair number of mid-range jumpers. She led the team with 20 points (10-10 FT) and had 6 rebounds as Belgium beat Canada 70-64. Canada was down the whole time I watched, but had a chance at the end. With Canada down 6, Carleton made a 2-pointer at 0:17 to cut it to 4. Then Canada got a steal on the inbounds and Carleton got an open 3 attempt at 0:12 (which would have cut the lead to 1) but it was off the mark.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron