Brian Joens needs to be dealt with

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopssae

Aug 22, 2015
Having it happen at CHA didn't change anything.
Having him gone would have made the game much more enjoyable instead it was miserable. And it had nothing to winning or losing. If they’d been winning he’d still have been a massive distraction because that’s what he was there to do. It’s a shame and makes me not want to go back.

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not here to pile on. I hope folks will be sensitive to the entire Joens family when they post comments in this thread.

Only one member is being discussed in this thread. But if we want to talk about them all, I would say Ashley is the model of what you want in a student athlete and an Iowa Stater. I would assume Aubrey is the same way. It's a shame a middle aged man can't conduct himself like an adult and this will continue to be discussed ad nauseum on this board until he changes this behavior (let's face it - not going to happen) or the sisters are gone which obviously will be many years from now.

If we want to keep it really real, I am enjoying the heck out of this team. My kids have interacted with Morgan Kane and I am super proud of her. I watched the WBB game instead of the MBB game when we were playing a competitive game at KU.

But with WBB drawing smaller crowds and this guy's behavior, I won't be attending a game until he's gone one way or another.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Like any other profession, does the benefit still outweigh the baggage? Apparently Fennelly and Pollard say yes.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Frank was annoying, loud, but he didn't do this stuff. Frank is a moron, we can all agree on that. However, this is way over the line what is being described in this thread.
Actually Frank isn't a moron. He swindled millions upon millions away from people. An FBI agent couldn't even locate him when he went on the run before becoming a felon.

Now back to Brian Joens being a maniac...

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Having him gone would have made the game much more enjoyable instead it was miserable. And it had nothing to winning or losing. If they’d been winning he’d still have been a massive distraction because that’s what he was there to do. It’s a shame and makes me not want to go back.

From experience, he is just as bad when we are winning as when we are losing. No difference really.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I composed a post including some thoughts about the subject ... and deleted it. I will just say that the girls deserve high praise for being the young ladies they are. I officiated several of their games in HS. They could not be nicer people.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I've gone to their restaurant in Iowa City. Mom and dad were really nice. Enjoyed talking to them about their family and basketball.

Their lives are filled with stress. First, they have a bunch of kids to raise. Second, they live and work in Iowa City. Third, they have to keep a restaurant going these days. Fourth, when not working, they have to watch refs not call fouls in crucial moments as their daughters get hacked. Not an excuse, but they have a high score on the stress-o-meter.
I've got 3 under 4 and a lot of other life stressors, do I get a free pass to be a ****?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I composed a post including some thoughts about the subject ... and deleted it. I will just say that the girls deserve high praise for being the young ladies they are. I officiated several of their games in HS. They could not be nicer people.
Absolutely. Great players to watch and conduct themselves very well.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Another possibility here is that his kids are horrified by his behavior and ISU's apparent inaction is simply a function of not knowing what the hell to do with him, and/or having tried things behind the scenes that haven't worked. The last thing Pollard or Fennelly wants is for this to blow up into an even bigger public spectacle than it already is, and putting these college kids in the position of having to answer publicly for their dad.

This is all total speculation on my part, but I don't want to assume without evidence that nobody at ISU cares that this is going on.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
b. A person commits harassment when the person, purposefully and without legitimate purpose, has personal contact with another person, with the intent to threaten, intimidate, or alarm that other person. ... Harassment in the first degree is an aggravated misdemeanor.

Not a good look for Hilton if fans are feeling "unsafe". Maybe the fans need to notify the law enforcement folks that are present at the games.....

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
b. A person commits harassment when the person, purposefully and without legitimate purpose, has personal contact with another person, with the intent to threaten, intimidate, or alarm that other person. ... Harassment in the first degree is an aggravated misdemeanor.
Boy there is a lot of room for interpretation in that definition.

I could be guilty of harassment on some Big 8/12 officials over the years. Does crap assed calls count as a "legitimate purpose"? Does shouting from the stands qualify as "personal contact". Was Ed Hightower intimidated or alarmed? I think I need to call my attorney.

• Haha
Reactions: CYDJ and ISC

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I hope coaches can understand that an unintended consequence of Joens's behavior continuing (even if they are trying to intervene behind the scenes) is parents of other recruits see the behavior and say either:

A) "nope! kids are going elsewhere" or
B) "oh look, a university where I can still be a total dick4 to everyone"

Status
Not open for further replies.