In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think he is right there. Just look at the ISU game. ISU turns the ball over in the red zone Iowa doesn't have to gain many yards to score. Purdy throws a pick at the 50 and Iowa doesn't have to move the ball much to get into scoring position. He isn't wrong.

This would make sense if Iowa was able to move the ball all day...

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
everything about M vs UI screams superbowl.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
He is either saying Kirks schemes and playbook suck or he just outed himself as a complete moron. Could be both. You don’t call a great game as an OC and score 3 points. Washed up walk on, washed up analyst.

I heard Kirk needs someone to polish his turds after he takes a dump, Kluver would probably volunteer and then go on record as saying they didn’t stink.
Why not both?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can confirm! I listened to this segment this morning and according to Tyler execution is the issue... He says Brian's play calling is fine and fans don't know what they are talking about because they don't watch each play multiple times like the players and coaches do. LOL you can't make it up.
I was shocked.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was shocked.

The former white players don't typically bad mouth Kirk or Brian. Tyler also kept referring to Kirk as KF which is just weird. Just say his name for f*ck sakes.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Those scenarios are based off of what the opponent's offense is doing.
He's saying Iowa's offense knows they have more in them but they know they don't have to get it because of their defense.

I totally get your point.

If the defense had played better, they could have won 3 to 0. Obviously. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That really is something. Running on 2nd down 90% of the time when 1st down was an incompletion? That just seems like how someone would run an offense who is really, really unintelligent. Like really dumb.
The key will be to see if he wasn't aware and will now break the tendency or if he will stubbornly keep doing what he is doing. I'm leaning toward something close to the latter.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That really is something. Running on 2nd down 90% of the time when 1st down was an incompletion? That just seems like how someone would run an offense who is really, really unintelligent. Like really dumb.
It's the west coast offense that Bill Walsh forged. They would run after first down incompletions as a way to shorten the distance needed on third down. It was basically what the majority of the NFL coaches did in the 80s and early 90s.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I had some friends over and we watched the game and I called second down running plays after an incompletion every time. That isn't a BF thing, it is more of a KF thing. He is just a very conservative coach. He always will be. I don't think changing the OC is going to change a ton for Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I had some friends over and we watched the game and I called second down running plays after an incompletion every time. That isn't a BF thing, it is more of a KF thing. He is just a very conservative coach. He always will be. I don't think changing the OC is going to change a ton for Iowa.
Knowing it is a run or pass isn't that huge of deal, or else on anything over 3rd and 4 you might as well run the ball to get a couple and punt. Its the tendencies of the formations leading to where the run will go, or only going with a few basic runs. I didn't study it much so I don't know what he exactly was doing, but did notice that certain backs lead to certain areas that the run would occur. Williams did not run outside, he nearly always went up on dive plays. Goodson was normally an off tackle runner. Those are the tendencies that will lead to a defense shutting you down.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Knowing it is a run or pass isn't that huge of deal, or else on anything over 3rd and 4 you might as well run the ball to get a couple and punt. Its the tendencies of the formations leading to where the run will go, or only going with a few basic runs. I didn't study it much so I don't know what he exactly was doing, but did notice that certain backs lead to certain areas that the run would occur. Williams did not run outside, he nearly always went up on dive plays. Goodson was normally an off tackle runner. Those are the tendencies that will lead to a defense shutting you down.

I agree. When Iowa had CJB, if he audibled it was always a run and what side of the LOS he yelled the audible at first was always the side they would run. I haven't noticed that since then, but I do feel like almost every audible is a run.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
It's the west coast offense that Bill Walsh forged. They would run after first down incompletions as a way to shorten the distance needed on third down. It was basically what the majority of the NFL coaches did in the 80s and early 90s.
90% of the time though? Even after it's clearly not working? That seems really high.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
90% of the time though? Even after it's clearly not working? That seems really high.
Don't know specifics, but that was what was the game plan, what you assumed would happen, and generally did. They literally said they were trying to make 3rd and 10 be a more manageable 3rd and 7.