In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I think I just saw another bootleg for Iowa where they leave a sprinting blitzer to go right at the Qb.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I still just can't wrap my head around how bad Iowa's running game has gotten under Brian. I didn't get to watch much of last nights game but I see they averaged around 3 ypc. Despite having one of the top linemen in the country. Weird a guy with his OL background is struggling to develop that group.

I really only follow our fb recruiting so Idk if it's lack of talent or what but they just don't have the OL Kirk built the program on anymore.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not sure if I am considered sane but I am thrilled with it.
giphy.webp

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm going to make sure to post in this thread so I can come back to it in a few years. I have a feeling it's going to make most of you look pretty stupid.
Anybody who thinks BF will be conservative are delusional. He was also in charge of the run game this year. Turned out pretty good.
Brian has done some things with the running game the last couple years that Iowa wasn't doing before- more inside zone, tosses/sweeps, pulling centers, some misdirection, etc. There is no reason to believe he won't make similar tweaks to the passing game.

His success in improving the run game speaks for itself. Iowa has averaged 4.5 yards per carry both years he has held the run game coordinator title, which is better than every year since 2008 when Shonn Greene was the best RB in the country.
I think it is probably the best hire for them. I think Davis was a horrible hire, didnt understand what Kirk wants to do at all.
Also, Brian Ferentz is highly thought of in the coaching world. If he would of went to the NFL to coach the oline under O'Brien he would probably be on his way to an OC in the NFL. He was promoted basically every year he was with the Patriots. You can still run a pro style offense but mix things up to not be so predictable. But most of their passing problems will only be fixed by better WRs.

Not sure if I am considered sane but I am thrilled with it.
I'm a big fan of it. If people are thinking Brian is a KF clone and/or puppet they are way off IMO. He's actually the one person that can get KF to make changes. Of course there isn't going to be some big overhall of the offense, but the Greg Davis passing game never jived with the running game. The running game has always been a strength and will continue to be one. I think Brian will be able to incorporate a passing game that is more of a complement to the running game.

Just thinking back to the KOK passing offense, the middle of the field was used a ton. Play action to the TE was used over and over and over. Greg didn't know the middle of the field even existed. All the horizontal stuff was completely brought in by Greg. Sure there were bubble screens and things like that before him, but nowhere near the short stuff that has happened over the past few years.

I think Brian will take things back towards the KOK model (e.g., use the center of the field, get the TEs more involved, keep the safties more honest, etc.), but put his own stamp on it. His time with the Patriots is probably being talked up too much, but there's no doubt he had to pick up some things while spending time there with Belichek and O'Brien. And he clearly knows the running game inside and out.

I think I'd honestly be excited for the hire even if his last name wasn't Ferentz.
Sure thing. Much better than what we had. And for the Iowa fans who are Kirk haters and naysayers, well if this does not work out, then in 4 years or so both Kirk and Brian will be out, so they would not have Kirk around to fill out the rest of his 9 years. If it works out then great, they can still hate his last name but probably suck it up and like the success. There are just some people who dislike Kirk and nothing he does would make them happy. Looks also like we will be adding a new WR coach, a new RB / ST coach and maybe a QB coach. So not small changes personnel wise on offense side. I don't see any downside to this. Our offense was damn near the bottom last year in all of college football. And at least we know Brian is likely committed to the school if successful here. Don't see him jumping ship if things go well. So if you are implying Iowa fans who like this decision are not sane then I would beg to differ.
200.gif

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I still just can't wrap my head around how bad Iowa's running game has gotten under Brian. I didn't get to watch much of last nights game but I see they averaged around 3 ypc. Despite having one of the top linemen in the country. Weird a guy with his OL background is struggling to develop that group.

I really only follow our fb recruiting so Idk if it's lack of talent or what but they just don't have the OL Kirk built the program on anymore.
They had to fire their pharmacist over some racial stuff. That hurt them the most.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

Might be his daddy surrounded him with studs to cover his mistakes,

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
So…..offense is doing nothing…..and….it was against the weak east teams also.
What's a bummer is their offense did nothing against us this year. But it didn't matter b/c we wet our shorts on special teams and on offense.

I actually look at that Iowa roster, they lose quite a bit on that defense. Also lose Linderbaum who's their only quality OL. I don't think next year will be very good for them.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What's a bummer is their offense did nothing against us this year. But it didn't matter b/c we wet our shorts on special teams and on offense.

I actually look at that Iowa roster, they lose quite a bit on that defense. Also lose Linderbaum who's their only quality OL. I don't think next year will be very good for them.
I’m not as scared of them as others. Think we should be able to compete next year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron