Brian Ferentz named offensive coordinator

Discussion in 'In-State Rivals' started by JD4560, Jan 9, 2017.

1. CysRage

CysRage Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Is there a way to make it so Hawk trolls negative reps don't count against you? Apparently what I said makes our resident Hawk trolls angry.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. YeahBuddy

YeahBuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2016
    I think White may have been involved in the debacle with the TX recruits, could be wrong though.

Kennedy was involved with that and our WR's are not very good.

3. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    3 wins in the non con and more in the conference schedule we'll be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. UnbiasedHawk

UnbiasedHawk Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm a big fan of it. If people are thinking Brian is a KF clone and/or puppet they are way off IMO. He's actually the one person that can get KF to make changes. Of course there isn't going to be some big overhall of the offense, but the Greg Davis passing game never jived with the running game. The running game has always been a strength and will continue to be one. I think Brian will be able to incorporate a passing game that is more of a complement to the running game.

Just thinking back to the KOK passing offense, the middle of the field was used a ton. Play action to the TE was used over and over and over. Greg didn't know the middle of the field even existed. All the horizontal stuff was completely brought in by Greg. Sure there were bubble screens and things like that before him, but nowhere near the short stuff that has happened over the past few years.

I think Brian will take things back towards the KOK model (e.g., use the center of the field, get the TEs more involved, keep the safties more honest, etc.), but put his own stamp on it. His time with the Patriots is probably being talked up too much, but there's no doubt he had to pick up some things while spending time there with Belichek and O'Brien. And he clearly knows the running game inside and out.

I think I'd honestly be excited for the hire even if his last name wasn't Ferentz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CloneLawman

CloneLawman Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Male
    It is a badge of honor!

6. yowza

yowza Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Sure thing. Much better than what we had. And for the Iowa fans who are Kirk haters and naysayers, well if this does not work out, then in 4 years or so both Kirk and Brian will be out, so they would not have Kirk around to fill out the rest of his 9 years. If it works out then great, they can still hate his last name but probably suck it up and like the success. There are just some people who dislike Kirk and nothing he does would make them happy. Looks also like we will be adding a new WR coach, a new RB / ST coach and maybe a QB coach. So not small changes personnel wise on offense side. I don't see any downside to this. Our offense was damn near the bottom last year in all of college football. And at least we know Brian is likely committed to the school if successful here. Don't see him jumping ship if things go well. So if you are implying Iowa fans who like this decision are not sane then I would beg to differ.

7. breck53

breck53 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Yep-bad news for you guys

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. ICHawk24

ICHawk24 Active Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Sagarin ranks Iowa schedule 33rd in the country. Massey 37th. Similarly ranked to ISU, where you won 3 games and Iowa won 8.

Same old story, Iowa wins 8, ISU wins 3, and ISU fans crow about a storm brewing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    You guys played in a conference where defense was optional. I could only imagine what Park would have done with that schedule

10. breck53

breck53 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Me too. 2-10