MLB: Brewers trade for K-Rod

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
Not exactly sure why, but the Brewers acquired K-Rod from the Mets tonight for 2 PTBNL's. Talk about depleting a farm system...the Brewers have really used up a lot of their minors in the last year or so making trades and such. I don't even know why they need or want K-Rod, who is a far overpriced reliever that I'd consider effective but not much more than that anymore.

As a Cardinals fan, if they want to use up the rest of their prospects on moves like this, I'm fine with it! They're definitely going all-in this season.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
they probably wont have to give up much of anything for him, the downside for the brewers his that if he finishes 21 more games then he can pick up that 17.5 million dollar player option and then they would be really cash strapped on the payroll.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
This was a pure salary dump for the Mets. There would've been an up-roar if they removed him from the closers spot because of his option. The brewers have an established closer already and it won't be as big of a deal for them to make him a set-up man.

The mets sent $5MM with the deal.

Overall I think that they are going to give up two low level minor league players. Rumors are the Manny Parra is one of them but he has to come off the DL to be traded.

As long as the prospects are pretty terrible (see Manny Parra) then I have absolutely no problem renting him for the second half.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
they probably wont have to give up much of anything for him, the downside for the brewers his that if he finishes 21 more games then he can pick up that 17.5 million dollar player option and then they would be really cash strapped on the payroll.

Yeah, this was concerning to me and only proved the fact that they are going all in this season. This might be trouble if they have to pay this out and Fielder's contract ending soon.

By the sounds of it he would be used as a setup man, but the Brewers have struggled with closers, so I guess I can't complain too much about the move. I think they have a problem of relying on old closers to get the job done.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I thought the vesting option was thrown out in the event he was traded?

Trading to get KRod was a great move IMO. Bullpen help is never a bad thing.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
This move doesn't really hurt the Brewers too much down the line. They are clearly all in for this season, but they might as well be. Sad to say Brewers fans, but Fielder is not coming back. No way they can afford him, even before they bought their rotation. So if you've only got one more year of a respectable 1B, one more year of some protection for Braun, you might as well go for broke. And then after the year, when Fielder is elsewhere, set some of what you would have paid him aside for Braun, and some of it for Fielder's replacement. Not a bad move at all for a team who's window was closing soon anyways.

It will be interesting to see how KRod performs now that he's out from under the microscope in a small market and not closing games. As a Cards fan, I hope Axford implodes with the new threat to his job and KRod earns his bonus, leaving no one in the Milwaukee pen next year.
The NL Central is at the mercy of the Cards' offense coming together. If it does this move won't matter a bit for Milwaukee, if St. Louie continues to be inconsistent and injury ravaged, Milwaukee or Cincy will win it anyways. As things stood before this move, Milwaukee had to be the favorites to make the playoffs anyway, but if St Louis gets healthy and plays to potential Milwaukee is on the outside looking in. I don't expect the race to be close enough for this trade to matter. Either the Cards fall off (which they should have done by now, and I still expect) or heat up which is very possible now that most of their starters are back. The Brewers may have to worry about Cincy and Pittsburgh, but St Louis will end up either too far ahead or behind to worry about by the end of August.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The funny thing is K-Rod would be more accurately labeled BB-Rod the last few years...

The worst year of his career is 1.92 K/BB. That's pretty damn solid. His career is almost 3 K/BB. His strikeouts are down a little bit compared to earlier in his career. This year he's getting hit harder than he ever has before, but he's inherited 13 runners and stranded 11 of them. Very solid.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
This move doesn't really hurt the Brewers too much down the line. They are clearly all in for this season, but they might as well be. Sad to say Brewers fans, but Fielder is not coming back. No way they can afford him, even before they bought their rotation. So if you've only got one more year of a respectable 1B, one more year of some protection for Braun, you might as well go for broke. And then after the year, when Fielder is elsewhere, set some of what you would have paid him aside for Braun, and some of it for Fielder's replacement. Not a bad move at all for a team who's window was closing soon anyways.

It will be interesting to see how KRod performs now that he's out from under the microscope in a small market and not closing games. As a Cards fan, I hope Axford implodes with the new threat to his job and KRod earns his bonus, leaving no one in the Milwaukee pen next year.
The NL Central is at the mercy of the Cards' offense coming together. If it does this move won't matter a bit for Milwaukee, if St. Louie continues to be inconsistent and injury ravaged, Milwaukee or Cincy will win it anyways. As things stood before this move, Milwaukee had to be the favorites to make the playoffs anyway, but if St Louis gets healthy and plays to potential Milwaukee is on the outside looking in. I don't expect the race to be close enough for this trade to matter. Either the Cards fall off (which they should have done by now, and I still expect) or heat up which is very possible now that most of their starters are back. The Brewers may have to worry about Cincy and Pittsburgh, but St Louis will end up either too far ahead or behind to worry about by the end of August.

I don't really want to make any predictions until after the trade deadline. If milwaukee doesn't address their shortstop/black hole/playing with only 8 men on the field...K-rod won't matter.

Also St. Louis could easily make some trades to bolster their pen. The fact that Willis is pitching for the reds tells me enough that they need help. The Pirates may just be naive enough to not wilt under pressure.

It is going to be an interesting end to the season to say the least.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I thought the vesting option was thrown out in the event he was traded?

Trading to get KRod was a great move IMO. Bullpen help is never a bad thing.

I don't think it does but it's not going to matter anyways. The option only vests if KRod finishes 55 games, he's going to be their 8th inning guy.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I don't really want to make any predictions until after the trade deadline. If milwaukee doesn't address their shortstop/black hole/playing with only 8 men on the field...K-rod won't matter.

Ah, the joys of Yuniesky Betancourt. So glad the Royals included him in that trade. Even if he never hits above .250, Escobar is such a huge upgrade over YB, his defense saves so many runs compared to Betancourt.... the only SS I have ever seen who physically can't move to his left. And its not like he is much of a hitter either, oh Yuni will occasionally get lucky and show a little pop but he is an OBP black hole. I feel sorry for you having to watch Yuni the rest of the year.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think it does but it's not going to matter anyways. The option only vests if KRod finishes 55 games, he's going to be their 8th inning guy.

It does. That's is partially the reason why he will be setup man. But there may be times when he finishes. Tie game in 9th bring in Rodriguez and then brewers win in walkoff. Extra innings. Give the closer a day off. Have to manage it but I bet the brewers dont put themselves in a position to pay that option.

Mets are still paying a lot of his 2011 salary. It was a straight up salary dump to the first team who offered. Addition by subtraction. Now that money can be used for Reyes' new contract.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron