Breece Hall drafted in 2nd round by Jets -- No. 36 overall

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
According to this will get just over $9 million of which 3.7 million dollars comes in a signing bonus.

What is interesting and painful for Breece is if he would have gone say to the Bills at #25 like many projected you think oh that's only 11 spots difference. Well that cost him over 4 million dollars. Yikes.

I'm sure he will be able to get by with "only" 9 mill though. :)

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Very pleased at the news. In 1982, ISU's 2 time all Big 8 RB, and 2017 ISU HoF inductee, Dwayne Crutchfield was also drafted by the New York Jets:

6-0 235 was massive for an RB in that era, and Dwayne "Crunch-field" as we was referred to in the summer magazines tended to seek out and destroy LBs and DBs on his way to the end zone. But, in all due respect, he did not have the upside of Breece Hall. In his era, Dwayne was described as a poor man's Earl Campbell, while Breece might be a cross between San Franscisco's (Davenport's own) Roger Craig, and the L.A. Rams' Eric Dickerson. He has a unique mix of power, grace, and speed. And I foresee many happy returns for in the years to come for the Jets.
Not sure about the Eric Dickerson comp. He was as unique a back as there’s ever been

But it would make sense he would be similar to Roger Craig, being related and all

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure about the Eric Dickerson comp. He was as unique a back as there’s ever been

But it would make sense he would be similar to Roger Craig, being related and all

I like the catching out of the backfield part but Craig ran like he actually intended to knock defenders out with his running style, and sometimes did.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Today the Athletic had a write up about each writer favorite pick from the team they follow, Here is what the Jets writer said.

New York Jets: There’s just something about running back Breece Hall that makes me think he’s going to be special. The Jets were able to get Hall, who many scouts believed was the top back in this year’s class, in the second round. He would have been a top-10 pick five years ago. Just because backs don’t go that high anymore doesn’t mean they aren’t as talented. And Hall has so, so much talent. His 4.39-second, 40-yard dash speed gives the Jets a legitimate home-run hitter, something they haven’t had in a decade-plus. Hall instantly becomes the Jets’ most talented back and should be the workhorse of a one-two punch with Michael Carter. — Connor Hughes | Jets takeaways

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Carter will still see plenty of touches. Breece will be the guy but there will definitely be a split workload.
I saw a podcast with the Jets writer last night on the Athletic, and he was just glowing about the Hall pick to the Jets. Stated he was told the Jets thought enough of Hall to think about trading back into the first round to take him late, but then decided that he would be there when they drafted in the second round after looking at the needs of the teams behind them in the first and in front of them until they picked in the second.

He also stated he had been told that the Jets were looking to pick a back to sub in for Carter, he was thinking 5th round or later, and the playing time would be Carter 60% and the new guy 40%. He now thought with Hall on the roster, it would flip to Hall 60% of the snaps and Carter getting the remaining 40%.

Hall is in a great situation in NY, the Jets writer was talking like 1200 to 1400 yards he thought Hall could get for them next year.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I like the catching out of the backfield part but Craig ran like he actually intended to knock defenders out with his running style, and sometimes did.
Roger Craig had that unique high knee action. Aside from that, you can see some "Breece" in how he maneuvered his was down the field. Here is a segment from an NFL films episode featuring Craig back in the day:

To contrast, as Marcus Allen put it in this episode, Eric Dickerson ran like a gazelle. I think Breece has some of that in him, but we have not seen it yet. At ISU, RBs have had to more or less run in space. They have to basically create, since run blocking has just not been the forte in the CMC era:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The clip @ 1:20 where he catches the pass, Badly jukes the Baylor guy, then just kinda walks in is my fav.

Also props to Purdy. He always gave that handoff his all. The read look that would slow the D down for just a second. Always carried out his fakes.
At first glance, I think that's Dillon Doyle, son of the racist former Hawkeye S&C Coach

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Man, I am going to miss this

giphy.webp

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Man, I hope the number will change before season starts. #35 just doesn't fit.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I saw an article that rated them 11th in the NFL, and that with the caveat that one of their important pieces missed some time. Definitely worse situations out there to land into.
Their starting tackle Mekhi Becton missed almost all of last season with a knee injury. Having him back should help.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Rookie camp numbers are out. Breece wearing #35. I noticed that Jets have retired #28 for Curtis Martin. I wonder if Breece sticks with 35

Edit: whoops, missed this posted above.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored