Breece Hall and Troy Davis Impressions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Liam4Cy

Dec 5, 2011
Sioux City, IA
For us young bucks that didn’t have the pleasure of watching Troy Davis tear up defenses on a regular bases...Are the impressions somewhat similar watching what Breece has done this year? I know Troy was on a different level but I was just curious if the people that got to see both have similar impressions watching Breece.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Troy's greatest gift was his ability to make a cut in the open field never losing a step. Breece has that burst to get the corner or inform defenders that think they have an angle they are wrong. Tomlinson is the closest runner I'd compare Davis to.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Davis never had the break away speed. He was so short behind the mammoths he was hard to see. When the defender did see him it was, oh ****... Breece is the whole package.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Troy had incredible burst and amazing vision. Extremely physical runner. Guys hated tackling him. Breece has similar instincts but is bigger and faster. His ability to see the field is off the charts and if he was getting the same number of carries as Troy he’d be putting up the same yardage, maybe more. He projects better to the NFL. Would love to see him with the Steelers or the Seahawks. Ground and pound.

Bucklara

Jan 14, 2016
Troy could change direction in a way that was sudden but seamless. One on one in a 3 foot space he wasn't getting tackled. Beyond durable, 50+ and 35+ carries in back to back weeks if I remember. Savage blocker picking up the blitz. Watching his 378 yd performance vs mizzou was unbelievable. The difference on the TD-O-Meter from start to finish was surreal in the moment. Perfect for the situation ISU football was stuck in.
Breece just seems to be NFL special in all the right ways. Vision, good speed, adequate hands, picks up the blitz well. I think Woody made a comment that Breece talks about the game in a way that is next level. Might be a catalyst for a big12 title.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Troy's greatest gift was his ability to make a cut in the open field never losing a step. Breece has that burst to get the corner or inform defenders that think they have an angle they are wrong. Tomlinson is the closest runner I'd compare Davis to.
From ISU history, the closest I’d go with would be a healthy Blaise Bryant.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Breece and Troy make people miss in different ways.

I don’t remember what podcast it was but @brentblum was sharing a story about he was talking to Steve Loney, the OC for Troy. (If you don’t know who this guy is, look him up. He was smart and a good coach, really.) Steve explained to Brent that they set their blocking scheme up to block 10 of the 11 guys on the defense. Brent asked Steve, “Well why the hell would you do that? Why leave a guy open?” Steve’s response “Oh, that’s Troy’s guy”.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This site has lots of discussion about this topic. Here is a good place to start.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Different times, it makes it difficult to compare both runners. Teams used to line up with practically all eleven defenders in the box to stop Troy, they knew he was getting the ball (everyone in the stadium knew it.) He had incredible tenacity and balance, and he knew if he could just get to the second level there was going to be a lot of daylight. But he'd get gang tackled 20 times a game and still run for 200+. It was quite a phenomenon. I've never seen a runner like that anywhere since.

Breece Hall is just such a smart and skilled runner, he's getting extra yards with his eyes and the subtlest of moves. Super efficient style, everything a head coach wants in a back at this level. And he's still young.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah and Snydes

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Troy had incredible burst and amazing vision. Extremely physical runner. Guys hated tackling him. Breece has similar instincts but is bigger and faster. His ability to see the field is off the charts and if he was getting the same number of carries as Troy he’d be putting up the same yardage, maybe more. He projects better to the NFL. Would love to see him with the Steelers or the Seahawks. Ground and pound.
Troy delivered far more punishment that he took. Low center of gravity. Troy was fast and very good at anticipating contact. He would level off at full speed and after contact bounce back up to a full sprint. All but unstoppable at the Collegiate level. Didn’t translate as well in the Pro’s. Hall probably has more professional upside.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
For us young bucks that didn’t have the pleasure of watching Troy Davis tear up defenses on a regular bases...Are the impressions somewhat similar watching what Breece has done this year? I know Troy was on a different level but I was just curious if the people that got to see both have similar impressions watching Breece.

They are different but I think the one thing both had is vision. Ability to see where the hole is and where it’s going to be. Something that can’t be taught.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
The More I watch him, I am starting to realize he is the best we have ever had. His vision is ridiculous, speed is NFL ready, his shiftiness is insane, and he has power. He is the most complete back we have ever had, and he is the best college back I have seen play this season. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Reactions: t-noah

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Troy was quick and powerful, but not what I would call fast. He often got run down in the open field (think of that...how many more yards he could have had!). Breece is big and powerful and fast. He's a much more patient runner than Troy, so he gives up more TFL, but if he gets in the open field he's gonna house it. If there was another back I'd compare him to, it would be Eddie George.