Breece Hall #1 in NCAA rushing yardage

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I’m not sure why you think that we’ve “run the ball well”. Take away Breece’s two big runs, and he carried 18 times for 49 yards. That’s 2.72 ypc, and distinctly not a consistently good rushing attack.

And that’s generally been par for the course for his season—big runs buff up the small holes the OL has opened otherwise.

If you want an answer for that, I’m pretty sure that the simple fact that two of our best three linemen are out has something to do with both the running and passing issues—especially the latter.

Oh, and the fact that by far our single most experienced wide receiver returning, Tarique Milton, has been hurt is a huge factor too. At this stage, he and Xavier Hutchinson would complement one another well.

That’s how the running game works. Chip away at them, then break off big runs. If you took away a RBs big plays and they were still averaging 5 YPC, they’d be averaging a stupid amount like 10+ YPC in total.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think everyone expecting CMC to run up the score like everyone else in the league against KU are going to be disappointed. It is not in his DNA.

I would love score 50 on them and pad our offensive stats like everyone else, but I don't expect that to happen.

All I really want is a game that's not in doubt going into the 4th quarter.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All I really want is a game that's not in doubt going into the 4th quarter.
If it's not a no doubter to start the 4th, I'll be very disappointed. This is one of the worst teams Kansas has had and that's saying a lot. They're also the worst P-5 team in the nation. There's no reason we shouldn't win this game by 3 scores or more. I'll be a little bit concerned if we don't honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
#2 now, just behind UTSA's McCormick. I think it's kind of unfair, as UTSA has not had a bye-week.. So they've played all 7 weeks, while Hall only had 5 games. (don't tell my girlfriend this, she works in football recruiting at UTSA :D)

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I’m not sure why you think that we’ve “run the ball well”. Take away Breece’s two big runs, and he carried 18 times for 49 yards. That’s 2.72 ypc, and distinctly not a consistently good rushing attack.

And that’s generally been par for the course for his season—big runs buff up the small holes the OL has opened otherwise.

If you want an answer for that, I’m pretty sure that the simple fact that two of our best three linemen are out has something to do with both the running and passing issues—especially the latter.

Oh, and the fact that by far our single most experienced wide receiver returning, Tarique Milton, has been hurt is a huge factor too. At this stage, he and Xavier Hutchinson would complement one another well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am still amazed how bad our passing game looks at times when we run the ball as well as we have. Usually establishing a good running game results in some opportunities to take some shots down field when the defense is stacking the box against the run and we haven't seen a lot of that so far. Even some more play action fakes to throw a deep ball would open up this offense some more.
Pass blocking is horrible. Receivers slow to get out of their progressions. Brock prefers to run. Many things working against the pass game.

Reactions: cyputz

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'll admit, I didn't get a good chance to watch the okstate game. But I can't help but wonder was okstate playing heavy pass defense? We often hear about making an opponent 1 dimensional, usually in terms of taking away the run game. Was that okstates game plan, take away the pass? If so, it certainly worked - and probably would work well anytime okstate gets a lead.

(of course there's plenty of blame on our oline and wideouts as well)

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
If it's not a no doubter to start the 4th, I'll be very disappointed. This is one of the worst teams Kansas has had and that's saying a lot. They're also the worst P-5 team in the nation.

Well, Maryland looks really, really bad also. But then, they did cause one of their players to die. So, Kansas doesn't have that as a factor. But they are equally poor teams, I would say.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well, Maryland looks really, really bad also. But then, they did cause one of their players to die. So, Kansas doesn't have that as a factor. But they are equally poor teams, I would say.
Maryland very well could be up there, however you're comparing two pieces of crap lol. They're both awful.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll admit, I didn't get a good chance to watch the okstate game. But I can't help but wonder was okstate playing heavy pass defense? We often hear about making an opponent 1 dimensional, usually in terms of taking away the run game. Was that okstates game plan, take away the pass? If so, it certainly worked - and probably would work well anytime okstate gets a lead.

(of course there's plenty of blame on our oline and wideouts as well)
They weren't necessarily playing heavy pass defense, rather they were constantly sending different blitz packages at Purdy. Some of the routes we were running couldn't develop and the timing was off due to this pressure. It seemed like Purdy had a guy in his face all day long. I'm not solely blaming the O-Line either.. Our route scheme and route running have to get better.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I think everyone expecting CMC to run up the score like everyone else in the league against KU are going to be disappointed. It is not in his DNA.

I would love score 50 on them and pad our offensive stats like everyone else, but I don't expect that to happen.
Big scores and impressive stats get attention in the media and in the heads of recruits. Everybody knows that. Dabo doesn't take the foot off the gas, and neither will Matt.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Big scores and impressive stats get attention in the media and in the heads of recruits. Everybody knows that. Dabo doesn't take the foot off the gas, and neither will Matt.

When have we actually put the foot on the gas enough to even think about taking the foot off? :jimlad: , kinda.

ULM last year is the only recent one that comes to mind.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
When have we actually put the foot on the gas enough to even think about taking the foot off? :jimlad: , kinda.

ULM last year is the only recent one that comes to mind.
2017 against KU. 45-0.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Here's the latest delusional statement from the hokeye message board regarding Breece:

He is a scrawny little back that would be broken in two in the B1G, he wouldn't last three games. But playing in the Texas/Sunbelt league like he does no one can tackle. I would take any of Iowa's three backs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron