BREAKING: Maurice Jones not eligible - OLD THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Re: BREAKING: Maurice Jones not eligible

I didn't think him coming in for Second semester next year was going to work very well anyway but this will definitely hurt the PG depth overall. I'm meh about it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Tough break, but with Jones not being eligible until the second semester next year it would have been a tough transition for the team to make midseason. They'll be fine with Bubu and Morris running the point. And who knows, maybe Hoiberg will hand the keys to the halfcourt offense to Niang next season. He seems pretty comfortable in the high post area.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI

Tough break, but with Jones not being eligible until the second semester next year it would have been a tough transition for the team to make midseason. They'll be fine with Bubu and Morris running the point. And who knows, maybe Hoiberg will hand the keys to the halfcourt offense to Niang next season. He seems pretty comfortable in the high post area.
I was thinking almost exactly this, glad I'm not the only crazy one. Royce-like offense (in the half court)?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

How about we have this ******* match between MM and BP next fall............ISU is now only 1 game out of first place in the Big12, lets enjoy the next few weeks!

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv

How about we have this ******* match between MM and BP next fall............ISU is now only 1 game out of first place in the Big12, lets enjoy the next few weeks!

my question is-why wasn't this known long ago? if he was ineligible at usc when he left, and it is a rule that if you leave ineligible you stay ineligible at the next school then why in the f did we waste a scholarship for a year on a guy who would likely never play? we wasted a year on an appeal? when has isu EVER won an appeal for any sport? not only that, but bank on it until told otherwise? fred going out and offering someone immediately proves he was counting on maujo being here until proven otherwise.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

my question is-why wasn't this known long ago? if he was ineligible at usc when he left, and it is a rule that if you leave ineligible you stay ineligible at the next school then why in the f did we waste a scholarship for a year on a guy who would likely never play? we wasted a year on an appeal? when has isu EVER won an appeal for any sport? not only that, but bank on it until told otherwise? fred going out and offering someone immediately proves he was counting on maujo being here until proven otherwise.

We were going to bank the scholarship any way so they took a chance. You do realize that eligibility issues involving the NCAA aren't usually black and white right?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Fred and staff knew and probably were pretty sure how it would turn out. He didn't email you?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I was thinking almost exactly this, glad I'm not the only crazy one. Royce-like offense (in the half court)?
Yeah, kind of but not exactly the same. RW was a one of a kind college basketball player, and I don't envision Niang running a fast break or chucking one handed 3/4 courtlength passes. However, I can see one of the guards getting the ball into the frontcourt and then initiating a halfcourt set through Niang at the top of the key or high post.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

Kinda sucks, hopefully morris is as good as advertised. Bubu will probably start now

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

Just think...in two years we will have a legitimate back-up in Custer who will also push for more playing time as he gets better but hopefully we won't have to throw him straight into the fire because we will have depth.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

CFH found plenty of other point possibilities. Much worse deal for the kid.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv

We were going to bank the scholarship any way so they took a chance. You do realize that eligibility issues involving the NCAA aren't usually black and white right?

yes i do realize ncaa issues are not black and white. but let's say hypothetically he had chosen to stay at usc. i can't believe it would have taken them from june-feb to decide if he was eligible to play at usc this season. right? i have to think they would have gotten on it sooner than this.

of course, as you said, there are probably a million details none of us know but it seems drawn out to say "he's not eligible here because he wasn't eligible there".

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Preparing myself now for all the complaining and worrying next non conference when Morris isn't scoring 30 per game....you know I'm right...

Nobody expects that.

Quite right. The kid is averaging 25 pts, 9 assists, 5 boards and almost 5 steals a game. With another off season under his belt I think it is more realistic to expect 28, 12, 8 and 6.

:jimlad:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

Quite right. The kid is averaging 25 pts, 9 assists, 5 boards and almost 5 steals a game. With another off season under his belt I think it is more realistic to expect 28, 12, 8 and 6.

:jimlad:

I don't know. He gets an extra 8 minutes to play per game in college. He can get to 30 pts, 14 assists, 10 rebounds, and 8 steals

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

They way Bubu has played this year makes me feel this way too. My money is on him. At least to start the non-conference.

If monte can unseat Bubu, that probably tells you that Monte is going to be very good

Agreed.
Not a perfect comparison but I'm going to compare freshman MM to freshman DG. You might proceed to say, wait, MM is a better prospect than DG was; I'd agree with you there. That said, Bryan Petersen started over DG and Bubu is a better player than Petersen. Confident MM will get minutes but I could see Bubu starting.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA

Woulda been funny to hear "Annnnnnnnd Maurice Jones drew the foul...."

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Woulda been funny to hear "Annnnnnnnd Maurice Jones drew the foul...."

Clonecones, your avatar is really not complete until you photoshop in a Clone Cone in Hoiberg's hand. The photo is practically begging for it.

Whomever said that in the other thread was spot on.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA

Clonecones, your avatar is really not complete until you photoshop in a Clone Cone in Hoiberg's hand. The photo is practically begging for it.

Whomever said that in the other thread was spot on.

im gonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna didnt have the time yesterday

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

For those who have a hard time accepting it, I suggest you start now so by the start of next season you'll be ready for it. Bubu will start next season, its not a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.