BREAKING: Maurice Jones not eligible - OLD THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Re: BREAKING: Maurice Jones not eligible

IF he get's his academics straight, is he eligable for 14/15? Or is he not even coming at all now?

EDIT: someone else is on it..

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames

MoJo - Sad, he could've been really good. SCREW THE NCAA.
Naz - Probably not a pure PG
Bubu and Morris - I think Morris will start simply because Bubu can't exactly pull up for the jump shot. A lot of our offense runs through the PG and that's why MM gets the edge over BP. He'll still get a ton of pt and may have 6th man minutes. But honestly if Bluford is like McGee than Bubu stays "7th" man...

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

Last year, ISU had virtually no point guards, except for the walk-on Bubu....now next year, ISU will have 3, including an experienced senior Bubu, a so far unproven sophomore, and a top 100 pg....and ISU is thin? Last year was thin. By comparison, next year ISU is bloated.

This doesn't really come as a surprise about Jones I guess. I was wondering if he was practicing, but found it strange he would never mention anything about it, the practice facility, any of the other players, or anything about any of the games, win or lose on Twitter. Is he even in Ames any more?

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009

I think Bubu Palo will get the lions share of point guard duties next season. Man Man without question has the potential of being great for us. But, I think he needs some grooming his Freshman campaign. But, could surprise us and have a breakout first year like Niang.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21
No. RT @WestDesMoinesCY: @TravisHines21 will Jones remain n Ames n play n 2014?

Since we signed Bluford I'm pretty sure he is replacing Jones' scholarship for the next two years. Unless they know someone is going to transfer at the end of this year right now I highly doubt that he will be staying at Iowa State. Plus keeping him would take away a scholarship for a class of 2014 player.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

According to spokesman Mike Green, Maurice Jones is not eligible to play for Iowa State next season. He was not eligible when he left USC and according to NCAA rules, will not be eligible at Iowa State because of that. Iowa State made an appeal to the NCAA and lost.

Will write more later. Literally in my truck, pulled over typing this now as I drive to the Keg Stand.

[video=youtube;Jvo5XO1kH1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvo5XO1kH1c[/video]

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM

Bubu will start beginning of the year to help Morris adjust to college ball. Morris will eventually start once he has become adjusted. Bubu starting will be fine, nothing wrong with a slow, methodical PG.

Haha

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Since we signed Bluford I'm pretty sure he is replacing Jones' scholarship for the next two years. Unless they know someone is going to transfer at the end of this year right now I highly doubt that he will be staying at Iowa State. Plus keeping him would take away a scholarship for a class of 2014 player.

That has to be it. I don't see any way that he stays around.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA

That has to be it. I don't see any way that he stays around.

I just don't see us giving him a scholarship for 2.5 years(Jan 2013-May 2015), to play 1 year(2014-15 season)...even if they do know that someone is transferring. To be honest I don't think any of our freshman guards are going to transfer. We lose 4 guards after this season. There will be plenty of opportunity for Okoro and Naz to earn minutes next season. If they don't play much next year then I could see them transferring after next season. Not after this season though.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Odds are there will be one more transfer. That is just the law of averages in college basketball

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I just don't see us giving him a scholarship for 2.5 years(Jan 2013-May 2015), to play 1 year(2014-15 season)...even if they do know that someone is transferring. To be honest I don't think any of our freshman guards are going to transfer. We lose 4 guards after this season. There will be plenty of opportunity for Okoro and Naz to earn minutes next season. If they don't play much next year then I could see them transferring after next season. Not after this season though.

Agreed. It's just not good business to tie up 2.5 years to get 1 season like that.

I thought we'd be OK anyway. I definitely think we'll be OK now.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames

Besides Kerwin who would transfer? With the relationships he seems to have built I don't even see that as possibility. I'd say the odds are there will not be a transfer.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012

Preparing myself now for all the complaining and worrying next non conference when Morris isn't scoring 30 per game....you know I'm right...

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames

Preparing myself now for all the complaining and worrying next non conference when Morris isn't scoring 30 per game....you know I'm right...

Nobody expects that.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008

Oh well **** happens, next man to step up. Welcome aboard Bluford!!!

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

I can't believe how many people on here think Morris will be starting. Don't get me wrong I am super excited for him, but starting in the B12 as a freshman and being productive is near impossible. Anyone remember Chris Colvin? Not saying Morris will be like him, but it's tough to play as a Frosh in the B12 at the pg position. I think Bubu starts all season with both Naz and Morris spelling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.