BREAKING: Georgia PG commits to 2020 recruiting class

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It seems the staff has really moved towards the diamond in the rough model. That works for small non-power 5 programs because it has to. Not real sure about the long-term efficacy of it for a program at our level though. Seems strange we have to rely on these types of "undervalued" "blowing up" "diamond in the rough" types.

Would obviously love to be wrong. This staff just doesn't inspire a lot of thoughts of upward trajectory in the national conversation.

Diamond in the rough with multiple P5 offers?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Prohm has put more guards in the nba draft than vast majority of P5 coaches past 5-6 years and you all still question him bc of some rating? Lol.

Halliburton was rated nearly identical to this kid and TH will likely be a first rd draft pick after just 2 years with isu..

This kid screams TH 2.0..

This game of b-ball isn’t always about stars.. it’s the intangibles that can make teams great.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I wonder how many more guards Prohm needs to put into the NBA before people stop the hand-wringing over kids he gets commits from? Here's your checklist for future reference:

Did Prohm watch him in-person?
Did Prohm offer him a scholarship?

If the answer to both is "yes", then we're good.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, almighty Wake Forest , Mississippi St and Georgia Tech.

I get it. Y'all are fanatics and can't/unwilling to see beyond it.

Lol I've said multiple different times that a certain recruit will never see the court for meaningful minutes or I don't understand why we took them. I'm not being a homer here, Prohm really likes him

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, almighty Wake Forest , Mississippi St and Georgia Tech.

I get it. Y'all are fanatics and can't/unwilling to see beyond it.
Are you new to recruiting?
If that’s your definition of diamond in the rough, nearly every P5 program is recruiting this way.

This isn’t being forced to find scraps, this is liking a player that isn’t ranked as high as others, but still with multiple P5 offers.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Why do we think this guy is so bad? He’s a 3 star with several power 5 offers.

Nobody said he is bad. Pretty positive reviews so far by everyone. However, what everyone is saying is we are in on some bigger rated players with only one scholarship left. Not one person has said he sucked or is bad.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Are you new to recruiting?
If that’s your definition of diamond in the rough, nearly every P5 program is recruiting this way.

This isn’t being forced to find scraps, this is liking a player that isn’t ranked as high as others, but still with multiple P5 offers.

I assume you and all other fanatics apply this principal when Iowa receives commitments from lowly rated point guards.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
Lol I've said multiple different times that a certain recruit will never see the court for meaningful minutes or I don't understand why we took them. I'm not being a homer here, Prohm really likes him

The fact that Walker was the first scheduled visit for a PG this year (over some guards with higher ratings) and that ISU was willing to take his commitment in early September says something about where the staff viewed Walker in comparison to, say, Ty Berry or Jayden Stone (both Top 150 guys).

I know there were a few PGs that Prohm had ahead of Walker in this class that have committed elsewhere, but this wasn't a desperate grab of a player at the last minute. This was a player the staff badly wanted.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Anyone being recruited to a P6 school generally has enough talent to play a roll somewhere, it's always going to be a matter of buying in and investing. Some of our recent more highly rated recruits seemingly weren't as invested as guys like Georges, Naz, Haliburton, who were less highly regarded recruits. If this kid, and any other kid Prohm offers, buys in I have no doubt he'll help the team.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Comparing a team who can't recruit PGs to a Steve Prohm coached team is incredibly stupid, especially when they're beating out mid majors for their guys

I take little to no value from your thoughts. You're a fanatical pot stirrer and your reasoning is usually dotted with logical fallacies.

We beat out mid majors for this kid and three low-level P5 programs.

I do hope that his track record of getting point guards into the league is connected to his ability to recruit underrated talent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron