Breaking down Iowa State’s 2019 recruiting class (Boyd)

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Probably this biggest takeaway is that ISU has an identity and recruits accordingly- and probably recruits their system better than most teams. ISU doesn't get the best recruits, but most of the recruits really fit what they are trying to do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just love being reminded how we have all but walked away from Texas recruiting. That was always my biggest knock on CPR. Why settle for table scraps when you can get hard nosed mid-west kids. Either way, they are going to be developmental projects.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think he's undervaluing Blake Peterson, but it's a fair assessment everywhere else. I'm trusting Campbell's ability to keep getting the most out of players. He'll turn some of these guys into all Big 12 players before they leave here.

It was fun reading his previous year's column a year later, as well. As far as predictions go, I'll give him credit for being fairly accurate.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Good read...thanks! And I like the rankings based on a C+ being the average for the Big 12 in the different skill areas...gives you a good idea comparing to the other teams.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Fair assessment, and I like the hard, honest grading. Not just fluff.

A tad concerned about DL recruiting, hope CMC has a bounce back year with 4-5 DL recruits next year. DL play has been great lately, but been an achilles heel in the past.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks for posting, I've enjoyed these every year. Went back again and read 2017 and 2018, he has a great eye and has predicted very well. Hopefully that continues because he was very high on this 2019 class

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Anything football related from Ian Boyd is always a good read. Here is his take on the ISU's 2019 recruiting class and looking ahead to the 2019 season under Matt Campbell.

Thanks for sharing... Obviously, very exciting to see the improvement, change in strategy under CMC. Think they built a formula that works at ISU.

If I am being honest, I am concerned about the DL looking at 2020. With the Seniors at DT/NT. DE I think will be fine with the talent coming up... but not as convinced replacing Lima, Johnson will be a 1 year deal. I hope some of the young guys are able to... and obviously have to "trust the process". But it's hard to get talent / size needed for the middle of the D-Line.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He said some weird things. I think he also implied that James has a higher ceiling than Butler.
I think he’s referring to his earlier comment about James possibility ending up as a TE...that James will have a higher ceiling as a TE than as a guy always flexed out, but for that to happen he needs to be able to block some.

• Agree
Reactions: cynile