Bracketology 2024

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Free throws will kill us. Everyone has to remember that the selection field puts teams against each other that are opposites. We will face a mini byu team that will hit their threes while we struggle scoring. I love our team but this isn’t the time to have offensive woes.
The selection committee definitely does not do that, I don't mean to be an a** but some of these comments on this thread are making my head spin. This one, somebody said 2 teams from the same conference can't be a 1 seed, which was a rule in like the 70s or something lol, theirs been some dingers

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
If the committee looks at metrics many different factors, do they take beating a team without their full roster differently?

For example, yesterday Iowa got a Quad 1 road win against Northwestern. to the casual fan, that looks great, but when you look at the details, Northwestern played without 3 starters and Iowa barely wins.

or beating Marquette without their best player and after they lose a guy to an ACL injury is easier than beating them January 8th with a full roster.
or is that just part of the game? just seems like if Vegas knows about all this, the committee should know.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
How many Professors of Bracketology will still have us seeded behind KU tomorrow?
A few that I have seen have promoted Baylor ahead of us on the 3 seed line, and Bama to the 2 because of their close loss to Tennessee. It's all just a popularity contest. Too many games left to sweat a bunch of amateur pickers pretending to be on the committee

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
How many Professors of Bracketology will still have us seeded behind KU tomorrow?
Ironically, they will start looking to slide duke ahead instead.
Also, here's a curious thought. Do you suppose Baylor fans are having the same thoughts about why is ISU seeded higher?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
A few that I have seen have promoted Baylor ahead of us on the 3 seed line, and Bama to the 2 because of their close loss to Tennessee. It's all just a popularity contest. Too many games left to sweat a bunch of amateur pickers pretending to be on the committee
Lunardi had Alabama as a 4 after last night's game so maybe the other bracketologists will fall in line soon. Their resume just isn't worthy of a 2

No good wins in their non-conference, swept by Tennessee, blown out by Kentuky. Their best win was Auburn who is likely a 4-5 seed and a bunch of teams who will probably be on the 7-10 or 8-9 games.

• Agree
Reactions: Acer88

Mads4st8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2021
No? lol. Let’s hope we clean up our free throws and score more than 60 in the tourney. That’s not being a downer LOL
If we score in the 60s, we’ll beat a lot of teams. We’ve been holding opponents to sub 30 at halftime.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If the committee looks at metrics many different factors, do they take beating a team without their full roster differently?

For example, yesterday Iowa got a Quad 1 road win against Northwestern. to the casual fan, that looks great, but when you look at the details, Northwestern played without 3 starters and Iowa barely wins.

or beating Marquette without their best player and after they lose a guy to an ACL injury is easier than beating them January 8th with a full roster.
or is that just part of the game? just seems like if Vegas knows about all this, the committee should know.
The committee does take this into account, but they usually refer to it in the context of not dinging a team as bad if there was a significant injury for a given game. But in the end it probably isn’t going to be a big impact in the big picture. If a given game is an outlier due to injuries maybe.

Reactions: ISU_Guy

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Offense is the concern with this team and I think the decision-making by Gilbert and Lipsey is the key for us offensively. Somehow they have to find the right balance of aggressively attacking and not forcing it and turning it over. Yesterday was a perfect example. Gilbert was solid in the first half and we scored 36 points. Then in the 2nd half he became a turnover machine and we scored 13 points in the first 17 minutes. My jaw dropped when I checked the stats and he had 9 turnovers. That is a crazy number for 1 player. But then he gets that steal and takes it 1-on-1 and gets the bucket and the foul to put us up 6 late.

If we can get the good from those 2 with less of the bad then this team will be a tough out throughout the tournament.
Gilbert did just dish out 7 assists to 1 TO against OU. This 9 TO game is definitely the outlier. Especially since the TCU game when Gilbert turned the corner.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Gilbert did just dish out 7 assists to 1 TO against OU. This 9 TO game is definitely the outlier. Especially since the TCU game when Gilbert turned the corner.
In Gilbert’s defense we had some success getting their bigs to commit which lead to the guards dishing it off for an easy basket. The problem is UCF adjusted and he did not. This game is a total outlier for him, I’m not worried about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMackey32

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
Proud of the guys…working their asses off! I’m curious to see if they win out (including a tournament title…I do understand a tournament title probably won’t matter to the committee) and a team(s) on the 1 line have a loss…if they could be a potential 1 seed. Oh and F*ck OU….had my nut cup on…I’m ok.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
There is no probably won’t about it, they won’t. The top 16 seeds are protected, they won’t face a team in the first or second round that has a geographical advantage.
I won't pretend to know exactly how this works, but it wouldn't be that different than Auburn playing in Birmingham last year. They were a 9 seed and faced 1 seed Houston in their home state in the second round.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Learn basketball, we just faced the #1, #10, and #20 defense in the last 13 days. It's almost like elite defenses can make good offenses look bad sometimes.
Agree with your point here. Think about how many fan boards are melting down playing us. Several now saying “Jesus, we had more turnovers than field goals”. We’ve seen players and coaches melt down in game because of what our defense does to them.

Keshon can be sloppy with the ball, but - in fairness to him - he’s also the guy that ends up having to create against really good defenses because he’s probably the best a breaking down pressure and getting into the lane. So you could argue that he’s forcing things but you could also argue he has no choice but to force things sometimes.

Cyowa 14

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Looks like Palm is needing more clicks, has ISU as the last 3 seed this morning, ISU went from 10 to 12 overall after a Q1 road win, Baylor went from 11 to 6 overall after a home win vs Kansas. Don't take the bait everyone, it's what he wants

Cyowa 14

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I doubt it. It would take some epic collapses down the stretch from the teams in front of us to get a 1 seed. There isn't going to be much movement from the 1s and 2s down the stretch.
The top 3 yes, the 4th spot seems up in the air between Arizona, Tennessee and UNC. If ISU wins out and wins the big 12 tourny we would be right there analytics wise for a 1 seed but I don't see it happening either. I would guess 5 or 6 overall.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I won't pretend to know exactly how this works, but it wouldn't be that different than Auburn playing in Birmingham last year. They were a 9 seed and faced 1 seed Houston in their home state in the second round.
It's because there's no protection after the first round.

Nebraska can be placed in Omaha.

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I doubt it. It would take some epic collapses down the stretch from the teams in front of us to get a 1 seed. There isn't going to be much movement from the 1s and 2s down the stretch.
If Az stumbles enough to drop, they will fill it with an SEC or ACC team that gets hot. Think, UNC or Duke if they win their tourney. Or Tennessee if they win the SEC tourney as expected. Those East Coasters will be hyping the living **** out of that.