Misc: Boxing - Post Mayweather/Pacquaio

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Floyd only has one fight left on his current deal with Showtime. That gets him to 49-0. He's obviously not going to negotiate another multi-fight deal at this point. But I agree with you, he'll go for 50. The difference is he'll be a free agent looking to sign a one-fight megadeal with the highest bidder for the right to promote 50-0.

and millions of people will eat it up saying they want to watch history. And they'll be fools again.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Is it wrong if I hope he goes back to jail and just goes away? Not forever..just til he's too old to box.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Floyd only has one fight left on his current deal with Showtime. That gets him to 49-0. He's obviously not going to negotiate another multi-fight deal at this point. But I agree with you, he'll go for 50. The difference is he'll be a free agent looking to sign a one-fight megadeal with the highest bidder for the right to promote 50-0.

How about he puts on a few pounds and fights GGG. Sounds good to me!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Ha, and step in with a guy who's in his prime and poses an actual risk? Floyd don't play that game.

[video=youtube;S-ntFroiHOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ntFroiHOA[/video]

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I guess Mayweather just came out and said he is up for a rematch once Pac's shoulder is better.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/5/8552993/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-rematch-injury
There is no point, it just isn't a good matchup. Pacquiao has been a lot more tentative since he got KTFO by Marquez. Even the Chris Algieri fight I thought he could have put Algieri away pretty early and he didn't. He's just not the same agressive fighter that would eat up a couple of punches to land his own, as he was in years past. This new Pacquiao is not going to beat Mayweather unless he takes chances.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There is no point, it just isn't a good matchup. Pacquiao has been a lot more tentative since he got KTFO by Marquez. Even the Chris Algieri fight I thought he could have put Algieri away pretty early and he didn't. He's just not the same agressive fighter that would eat up a couple of punches to land his own, as he was in years past. This new Pacquiao is not going to beat Mayweather unless he takes chances.

He did knock Algieri down 6 times.

Agreed.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
He did knock Algieri down 6 times.

Agreed.
Yes, he did knock him down 6 times, but didn't you feel that whole fight that if he just pressed Algieri a little bit, he could have disposed of him even earlier? I know Algieri survived Provodnikov, but that was more due to Algieri outboxing him. Algieri did not have enough defensive speed to avoid Pacquiao, who's got quicker footspeed than Ruslan.

I really do feel that Marquez KO has made Pacquiao less agressive. Not sure if it is something he'll get over, but if he does not, no way he touches Mayweather in a rematch.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
So did anyone take my advice in this thread and watch Canelo Alvarez vs. James Kirkland last night? It was everything all the casual fans were hoping they'd see last week in the May/Pac fight.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Kirkland got his **** rocked. Complete slugfest.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Kirkland got his **** rocked. Complete slugfest.

Kirkland has never been an elite fighter but the guy is tough as nails and has an incredibly thick beard. Too see him go down violently like that was shocking. He's not been the same since he fired his previous trainer.

Canelo is a superstar in the making. Floyd beat him easily but he should have never been in that fight to begin with, he wasn't ready. I'm not saying he'd beat Floyd in a rematch (he wouldn't) but he's the next best thing. I can't wait to see him fight Cotto.

De La Hoya said after the fight last night that Canelo will fight GGG. I'd pay $150 to watch that fight! The only catch is that I have no idea what weight they would fight at. Just thinking about that makes me drool.

GGG fights next weekend be sure to tune in.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I thought the plan was to have Canelo fight Cotto in the fall...are they going with a Canelo-GGG fight instead? Either way they go, both have the potential to be awesome fights.

Canelo was in way over his head when he got absolutely schooled by Floyd. I don't see him closing the gap much in a rematch. Now if Canelo beats Cotto or GGG this fall, I'll definitely be on board for a Floyd rematch

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Won't be as much hype and there shouldn't be....though I'd still watch it. I am in the minority that enjoyed the fight for the most part. Granted I also knew it'd be a defensive fight.

This term always reminds me of Howard Cosell calling an over-the-hill Ali fight.

"He's giving him a defensive boxing lesson!!!!"