Bowl Projection USA Today

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
If you did a system of five AQs for the P5 and then highest G5 and then two "wild cards" --

ACC = Pitt
B12 = Baylor
Big Ten = Michigan
SEC = Alabama
Pac-12 = Utah
G5 = Cincinnati
WC #1 = Georgia
WC #2 = Notre Dame

Not sure how you seed it, but that looks like a pretty fair postseason to me.

This has been my ideal all along, also. Eight team playoff, highest seed gets first round on campus. Five P5 champions + 1 G5 + 2 AtLarge. Committee's role is reduced to picking the G5 participant, the two AtLarge and Seeding.

Also, SEC has to play 9 conference games.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
This has been my ideal all along, also. Eight team playoff, highest seed gets first round on campus. Five P5 champions + 1 G5 + 2 AtLarge. Committee's role is reduced to picking the G5 participant, the two AtLarge and Seeding.

I'm not a fan of at-larges, but maybe could reach a compromise if each conference is limited to two teams in the playoff, sec plays 9 conference games, and the committee is disbanded in favor of bcs for at-larges

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I'm not a fan of at-larges, but maybe could reach a compromise if each conference is limited to two teams in the playoff, sec plays 9 conference games, and the committee is disbanded in favor of bcs for at-larges
You have to have at-larges/wild cards otherwise you are going to hurt the regular season a bit because nobody is going to schedule tough non-conference games that we the fans want to see. With at-larges (a small number too) you have two paths: 1) Win your conference OR 2) Get an at-large where who you play and beat will be crucial.

This way you aren't penalized like you are right now for losing that challenging non-conference game because you can win your league to get in. You can bolster your at-large resume with a win though, so it would be a no-lose situation really. And that's what we want as fans is more good games.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Here is the problem with 8...and committee is having same arguments 8 or 12...

Problem is if you do AQ for the P5 + 1 G5 champ...That only leaves (1) non conference champion basically bc ND is going to take 1 of those At large most years.. And who is to say a team like Okie state this year isn't better than the G5 highest ranked?

If you want P5 AQ than hope for a 12 team playoff.. with the 1 G5 you could easily have years where that G5 team is like 9-3.. What happens when you have an upsdet in SEC title game or BIG title game...Say a 9-3 Wisc beats Ohio st and there is only (1) at large slot left?

That is where I think committee is struggling. I think the debate is 8 team with no AQ or 12 team with AQ's..

If you are ISU and Big 12 let's hope it is 12..

Reactions: jctisu

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Should be within an hour now that we will know. Even ESPN can't drag this out much longer...

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

I agree about the 9 conference games for the SEC. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed at 7

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Well if we play either of these two here is where they are ranked:

#18 NC State

#19 Clemson

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Are you watching the playoff selection show? They put Bama and Michigan's resumes up on the screen and it isn't even close - Bama's is way better.

Who is being left out that you feel should be in?

Everyone wants to cry that "2 SEC Teams are in" but no one wants to say who should be in that isn't.

Based on what exactly? They get propped up by their opponents inflated rankings.

Florida, LSU, A&M, Auburn, and Arkansas were either worse than originally thought or just flat out not good this year which we saw throughout the year. Alabama barely beat those teams (lost to A&M). Sure those teams were top 25 wins, but what did they do other than be an SEC team? SEC love drives me crazy.

• Friendly
Reactions: nwiacyclonefant