Bowl Projection USA Today

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
If Michigan wins and gets in the CFP, selection of team defaults to Rose Bowl. They are most likely picking Ohio State.

Yep. No way they’d take a 3 loss Iowa over a 2 loss Ohio State if Michigan wins. Still, the thought of Michigan keeping the Big 12 out of the playoffs if they beat Iowa OR Iowa winning the B1G title and helping the Big 12 get in makes me sick to my stomach. It’s a no-win situation for us!

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Ironically, Oklahoma State may get to play for a National Championship in football that should have happen 10 years ago.
I think they are probably not as good as a team as they were back then, but at least they could have a shot if they don't get locked out

It really seemed like the SEC was dodging games vs. the Big 12 in that 2008-2014 era -- we never got a matchup of the air raid vs. those "sec defenses"

Alabama teams now are not built anywhere close to what they used to be because of the spread offense developments

some validation of this point of view is the fact that missouri and a&m show up in the sec and immediately are in the conference championships and beating alabama

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
No. I think they end up 5th with ISU screwing them out of a national title shot twice.
Georgia, Cincy, Michigan and Notre Dame will be the four in.
if oklahoma state does win (and alabama loses), I can think of no documented metric on the ncaa website that would give notre dame the edge

other than of course it's all theatre and $$$ talks

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If Michigan wins and gets in the CFP, selection of team defaults to Rose Bowl. They are most likely picking Ohio State.

It's been the next highest-ranked B1G team each time that scenario occurred, which certainly bodes well for Ohio State

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
A lot of our scenario hinges on OU's ranking on Tuesday night. I think there is enough pressure there(based on Conference Championship criteria and the 13th Data point) to position Oklahoma State to be a CFP team if they win next week that they will keep OU relatively high in the rankings. If this happens, OU shouldn't drop much next week by not playing and IF Okie State wins it sets them up for a NY6 slot.
Either way, leaving it up to a bowl committee to pick between us and K State doesn't feel like a good spot for us right now. K State hasn't been to the Alamo Bowl since 2015 and has never been to Orlando which potentially makes them a more desirable pick.
Just my opinion, but the Texas Bowl is a long shot option if the Big 12 only gets the Sugar and one team in NY6. This puts either Baylor or OU in the Alamo and Cheez It has to make a choice.
I'm even more confused after typing this post out but it was good therapy as the next week will be LONG waiting for our destination which I hope is either San Antonio or Orlando. For many of us, we can remember the days where the season was over after our final regular season game.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
if oklahoma state does win (and alabama loses), I can think of no documented metric on the ncaa website that would give notre dame the edge

other than of course it's all theatre and $$$ talks
A one loss Notre Dame is in over a one loss Oklahoma State because of name and brand. Should they be? No. Will they be? Absolutely.

• Disagree
Reactions: StLouisClone

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think there is room for both in the NY6

There is not. Its all based on rankings and the last at large spot will be down to those 2.

In no particular order, here are the other 11 teams that get in.

Georgia
Cincinnatti
Okla st
Michigan
Alabama
Osu
Ole Miss
Pac 12 champ
Notre Dame
Acc champ
Baylor

Reactions: dualthreat

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
OSU needs to hope Georgia takes care of business, then Iowa upsets Michigan.

Then you can have a top 4 of UGA, Notre Dame, Cincy, Okie State.

Michigan winning would make them nervous, but I think they're also looking for an excuse to bump Cincy out.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No. I think they end up 5th with ISU screwing them out of a national title shot twice.
Georgia, Cincy, Michigan and Notre Dame will be the four in.
ND's best win of the season would be against 8-4 Wisconsin, while Okie St. would have wins over OU in the top 10, and two wins over Baylor. The losses for each would be against undefeated Cincinnati at home while OSU would have the loss to us but on the road.

Georgia beats Alabama, and Michigan beats EIU, then those two are in, only way ND gets in is to have Cincinnati lose to Houston, Baylor beat OSU or have Alabama beat Georgia. Two of the three has to happen to give ND a chance. In the last poll ND was 6th and beat Stanford while OSU was 7th and beat OU, that OU win will allow them to jump ND.

The top four this week will be Georgia, Michigan, Cincinnati and Okie St, with Alabama dropping to 5th and ND staying at 6, Ohio State drops to 7th.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
One thing the big 12 has going for them, is that we are riding on the reputation of Oklahoma being the last team selected to the new years six

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
ND's best win of the season would be against 8-4 Wisconsin, while Okie St. would have wins over OU in the top 10, and two wins over Baylor. The losses for each would be against undefeated Cincinnati at home while OSU would have the loss to us but on the road.

Georgia beats Alabama, and Michigan beats EIU, then those two are in, only way ND gets in is to have Cincinnati lose to Houston, Baylor beat OSU or have Alabama beat Georgia. Two of the three has to happen to give ND a chance. In the last poll ND was 6th and beat Stanford while OSU was 7th and beat OU, that OU win will allow them to jump ND.

The top four this week will be Georgia, Michigan, Cincinnati and Okie St, with Alabama dropping to 5th and ND staying at 6, Ohio State drops to 7th.
You are looking at it as if the teams are viewed equally. It’s all about the money and they will put Notre Dame in over Oklahoma State because they will bring more viewers and ratings in their eyes. They bend or change rules every single year to get the marquee names in. OSU needs Michigan or Cincinnati to lose to get in.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think they are probably not as good as a team as they were back then, but at least they could have a shot if they don't get locked out

It really seemed like the SEC was dodging games vs. the Big 12 in that 2008-2014 era -- we never got a matchup of the air raid vs. those "sec defenses"

Alabama teams now are not built anywhere close to what they used to be because of the spread offense developments

some validation of this point of view is the fact that missouri and a&m show up in the sec and immediately are in the conference championships and beating alabama

Oh, some SEC teams won a few Big Bowl Games vs. Big Xii teams during that 2008-14 Era.

In 2008, Florida beat Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game.
In 2009, Alabama beat Texas in the BCS Championship Game.

In the Cotton Bowl in those seasons:

In 2008: Ole Miss beat Texas Tech
In 2009, Ole Miss beat Oklahoma State
In 2010, LSU beat Texas A&M
In 2011, Arkansas beat Kansas State
In 2012, Texas A&M beat Oklahoma
In 2013, Mizzou beat Oklahoma State

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Oh, some SEC teams won a few Big Bowl Games vs. Big Xii teams during that 2008-14 Era.

In 2008, Florida beat Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game.
In 2009, Alabama beat Texas in the BCS Championship Game.

In the Cotton Bowl in those seasons:

In 2008: Ole Miss beat Texas Tech
In 2009, Ole Miss beat Oklahoma State
In 2010, LSU beat Texas A&M
In 2011, Arkansas beat Kansas State
In 2012, Texas A&M beat Oklahoma
In 2013, Mizzou beat Oklahoma State
Kinda silly to count A&M on both sides of the coin, and Mizzou for the SEC in that time period. Not the stylistic juxtaposition the OP was referring to. And Colt McCoy might have won that natty but it’s all water under the bridge at this point.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Kinda silly to count A&M on both sides of the coin, and Mizzou for the SEC in that time period. Not the stylistic juxtaposition the OP was referring to. And Colt McCoy might have won that natty but it’s all water under the bridge at this point.
So throw A&M and Mizzou out of the equation. Point is that During that Era when SEC teams were supposedly "avoiding" Big Xii teams, two SEC teams won BCS Championships vs. the Big Xii Champion and had a nice winning streak in the Cotton Bowl in matchups of evenly matched teams.

Ha! Ha! If Colt wouldn't have gotten hurt...The back-up came in and did fine, but Alabama got ahead 21-6, just ran the ball (both Ingram and Richardson ran for over 100 yards) and stopped pressuring the QB - keeping everything in front of them (except when that stud Shipley made a few plays).

FWIW, the Alabama QB (McElroy) was playing with a cracked rib sustained in the thrashing of Florida in the SEC CCG, and Colt got hurt going on a physical play against one of the best defenses in the Modern Era (Alabama was #1 in most defensive categories that year) with multiple All-Americans (6 on both sides of the ball) and chock full of future pros. That Alabama team was LOADED.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron