Bowl Projection USA Today

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm not convinced ISU beats a team like those three mentioned if they face someone similar.
And they will not face any team similar to those three. The options this year are an ACC team with a better record @ Cheez-it, a Pac-12 team with a better record @ Alamo, an SEC team with a similar record @ Liberty or @ Texas or a B1G team with a similar record @ Guarnteed Rate. Give me the SEC or B1G team with a similar record over an ACC team (Clemson) or a Pac 12 Team (Oregon or Utah) with a better record. Lobbying to get to the Cheez-it or the Alamo this year has no upside as far trying to get the Cycones to end the year with a Bowl WIN - especially if they draw Clemson - which will be a sure loss.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
We want to win the bowl. We don't NEED to win a glorified exhibition, which is all these bowls are. A chance to beat Clemson would be great.
I disagree with that. It's a real game that counts in the record books and sets the tone for the next year. There is a HUGE difference in Iowa State finishing 8-5 with a Bowl Win vs. finishing 7-6 with a Bowl loss. God forbid, they lose to TCU too! Then, it's the difference between 7-6 and 6-7!

Beat TCU!
Win the Bowl Game!
Put another Trophy on the shelf!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I disagree with that. It's a real game that counts in the record books and sets the tone for the next year. There is a HUGE difference in Iowa State finishing 8-5 with a Bowl Win vs. finishing 7-6 with a Bowl loss. God forbid, they lose to TCU too! Then, it's the difference between 7-6 and 6-7!

Beat TCU!
Win the Bowl Game!
I agree, if ever there was a year to do everything possible to win a bowl game, this is it.

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX

Beat TCU!
Win the Bowl Game!
This year's results don't backup your claim

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Will be totally ticked if ISU gets Clemson game over K-State.
200.gif

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Will be totally ticked if ISU gets Clemson game over K-State.

I assume you feel that way because of what happened in 2019? I understand being ticked in 2019. This season not at all assuming we both end up 5-4 in conference with Iowa State owning a complete beat down in Manhattan. Strength of record isn't comparable either. K-State hasn't defeated a single team above them in the standings.

Having said all that, this is why I wish the Big 12 would move to a system more like the Big Ten and SEC where bowl placement after the Sugar and Alamo Bowls is based on mutual alignment between schools, bowl games, and the conference. The Cheez-It Bowl is a problem though because of it being a step higher in the ACC's pecking order.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Would love to play Clemson. this team has the talent and ability to play with them. a healed up, rested Iowa State team, would do well.
In a word, No.

Maybe defensively we do... but after watching our offense struggle vs. Texas Tech for a half, OU for much of a game, etc... it would be ugly on the offensive side of the ball. Their front 7 vs. ours is - well, a mis-match.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It'll be interesting to see where ISU lands. I'm resigned to the fact that, when you tumble down the ladder this far, we're stuck with whatever we get. Anything sub-Alamo was going to be a disappointment based on expectations.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
This year's results don't backup your claim
Iowa State winning the Fiesta Bowl was better for Iowa State than losing the Fiesta Bowl would have been. ISU won their first NY6 Game, they won 9 games for only the 2nd time in 100 years and they finished in the Top 10 for the first time. All things they would not have accomplished with a loss. Additionally, as for this year, They had great pre-season pub, started in the Top 10 and had it all laid out in front of them. The fact they sputtered to (6-5) is a different story. I'm rooting for (8-5) and a Bowl win, because I think it is better than (7-6) and a Bowl loss for ISU Football.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Sporting News projection has ISU in Guaranteed Rate vs. ... Louisville. I don't think it could get any worse than that. (fwiw, has WVa in Texas Bowl).

I saw 247 (I think) had us in the Armed Forces bowl against Army. It’s not even a big 12 bowl game! Lol

• Agree
Reactions: CRCySpy

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I was at the Clemson @ NCSU game in person earlier this year. I have never seen a more incompetent offense for a team with that much talent. The Wolfpack have a good defense, but that QB could not complete a pass. I know they've improved, but that would be a winnable but competitive game for sure.

Reactions: clone4sure