Bowl Projection USA Today

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Oh, some SEC teams won a few Big Bowl Games vs. Big Xii teams during that 2008-14 Era.

In 2008, Florida beat Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game.
In 2009, Alabama beat Texas in the BCS Championship Game.

In the Cotton Bowl in those seasons:

In 2008: Ole Miss beat Texas Tech
In 2009, Ole Miss beat Oklahoma State
In 2010, LSU beat Texas A&M
In 2011, Arkansas beat Kansas State
In 2012, Texas A&M beat Oklahoma
In 2013, Mizzou beat Oklahoma State

Texas should have been in the Championship in '08 and I really think they would have won in '09 easily if McCoy didn't get hurt (they competed in that game with garrett gilbert lol).

The last two Cotton bowl games you have there are Big 12 rosters against Big 12 teams.

You can also list matchups like TCU obliterating Ole Miss or Oklahoma beating Alabama during that time frame, but they are kind of misdirection from my main point that it seemed like the big SEC teams like Alabama got handled pretty easily by a spread team (Utah) in 2008, won in what I consider a fluke in 2009, and then had time to slowly rebuild their defense. They also lost to A&M in 2012 which was one of the first Big 12-like offenses in the SEC.

Look at film at Alabama from 2008 and look at them now and don't tell me those teams look the same.

keep in mind this is mountain west Utah talent

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They don't belong in the top four. Cincy is just not that good. They were much better last year, and are still getting the benefit of that.
If Cincy finishes the season undefeated, with a win at ND, I am not sure how they can be kept out of the playoff this year, unless Alabama beats Georgia getting two SEC teams in. Without that happening, Georgia winning gets them in, Michigan is in if they beat EIU, but a loss there helps Cincinnati.

The only way Cincy doesn't make it is, Alabama beats Georgia, both go, Michigan beats EIU, they are in, and Ok. State wins. That would leave you with one loss teams for all four, jumping Cincy for the final spot.

• Winner
Reactions: Brandon and Hoggins

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If I'm Michigan and I get drug down to "an Iowa game" I'd be worried as hell even with a narrow win.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If Cincy finishes the season undefeated, with a win at ND, I am not sure how they can be kept out of the playoff this year, unless Alabama beats Georgia getting two SEC teams in. Without that happening, Georgia winning gets them in, Michigan is in if they beat EIU, but a loss there helps Cincinnati.

The only way Cincy doesn't make it is, Alabama beats Georgia, both go, Michigan beats EIU, they are in, and Ok. State wins. That would leave you with one loss teams for all four, jumping Cincy for the final spot.
I agree - you can't keep them out. Not when they're undefeated. But they've played very average in numerous games this year, including yesterday.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
btw notre dame has only beaten 1 ranked team and only played 2 games against ranked opponents

if oklahoma state wins the big 12 title, they will have beaten 5 ranked opponents and will have a "conference championship" which according to the ncaa website is supposed to give you props

if alabama loses to georgia and oklahoma state beats baylor, and if notre dame somehow magically gets picked above oklahoma state, the system is completely broken and the "criteria" is complete bs (which I already think it's broken after TCU moved from #3 to getting kicked out after a 50 point win in 2014 but this would solidify my opinion on this system even more)
The system is already broken. Your scenario would just add to it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I agree - you can't keep them out. Not when they're undefeated. But they've played very average in numerous games this year, including yesterday.
I agree, but who has a better win than Cincy, going into ND and beating them on their home field? Then throw in the fact that they would be 13-0, I just cannot see a way they get left out unless everything plays out like a posted above. The critical game for them is having Georgia defeat Alabama, giving the Tide 2 loses for the season, while they win their conference championship.

Undefeated conference championship with a win at ND and a 2 lose Alabama team and no way they fall out of the top 4.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Texas should have been in the Championship in '08 and I really think they would have won in '09 easily if McCoy didn't get hurt (they competed in that game with garrett gilbert lol).

The last two Cotton bowl games you have there are Big 12 rosters against Big 12 teams.

You can also list matchups like TCU obliterating Ole Miss or Oklahoma beating Alabama during that time frame, but they are kind of misdirection from my main point that it seemed like the big SEC teams like Alabama got handled pretty easily by a spread team (Utah) in 2008, won in what I consider a fluke in 2009, and then had time to slowly rebuild their defense. They also lost to A&M in 2012 which was one of the first Big 12-like offenses in the SEC.

Look at film at Alabama from 2008 and look at them now and don't tell me those teams look the same.
That's all fair, and I wasn't ignoring the losses. I was just pointing out that there were SEC-Big Xii matchups during that Era - especially in the annual match-up in the Cotton Bowl, and the SEC teams won more than they lost.

In the Alabama-Texas BCS Championship Game, losing Colt obviously hurt Texas, but Alabama also changed their game plan and played super vanilla after he went out. So, we will never know what would have happened with a healthy Colt. Bottom line, Alabama led 21-6 at the half and 37-21 at the end. That was one of the best Alabama teams of all-time, especially on the defenseive side (rivaling the 1992 and 1979 defenses). Shipley got loose a couple of times (like great players do) and Texas cut the lead back to 24-21. Then, 'Bama let the defensive dogs loose again, strip sacked Gilbert, Ingram scored and ended that nonsense followed by another pressure interception.

2008 Alabama was not nearly as good as the 2009 team. There were still a lot of players from the old regime mixed with that incredible freshman class that had Ingram and Julio Jones. They were still QB by John Parker Wilson, for example.

'Bama did struggle with spread teams including Utah and Oklahoma in those two Sugar Bowls. Not 'Bama's best Bowl appearances for sure. I saw Utah that year in person @ Michigan and knew they were super good. They got out on Alabama 21-0 early, and it was just too much to overcome.

The irony is that now, (incuding last year), the defense sucks, and Alabama has become an offensive jugernaut in the CFB Playoff Era! John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy wouldn't even get scholarships now.

They should have lost yesterday @ Auburn, and Georgia (which is bulit like that 2009 Alabama team) should beat them handily. Should be a decent enough game in the Sugar this year between Alabama and Baylor or Oklahoma State. I do admit that playing B1G teams in the Citrus Bowl (2010 vs. Mich. State and 2018 vs. Michigan) is easier than playing Spread / Big Xii teams in the Sugar Bowl (Utah in 2008 and Oklahoma in 2013) in the years they missed the BCS Championship / CFP in the Saban Era! Saban LOVES playing and beating B1G teams!

Last edited:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
That's all fair, and I wasn't ignoring the losses. I was just pointing out that there were SEC-Big Xii matchups during that Era - especially in the annual match-up in the Cotton Bowl, and the SEC teams won more than they lost.

In the Alabama-Texas BCS Championship Game, losing Colt obviously hurt Texas, but Alabama also changed their game plan and played super vanilla after he went out. So, we will never know what would have happened with a healthy Colt. Bottom line, Alabama led 21-6 at the half and 37-21 at the end. That was one of the best Alabama teams of all-time, especially on the defenseive side (rivaling the 1992 and 1979 defenses). Shipley got loose a couple of times (like great players do) and Texas cut the lead back to 24-21. Then, 'Bama let the defensive dogs loose again, strip sacked Gilbert, Ingram scored and ended that nonsense followed by another pressure interception.

2008 Alabama was not nearly as good as the 2009 team. There were still a lot of players from the old regime mixed with that incredible freshman class that had Ingram and Julio Jones. They were still QB by John Parker Wilson, for example.

'Bama did struggle with spread teams inclusing Utah and Oklahoma in those two Sugar Bowls. Not 'Bams's best Bowl appearances for sure. I saw Utah that year in person @ Michigan and knew they were super good. They got out on Alabama 21-0 early, and it was just too much to overcome.

The irony is that now, (incuding last year), the defense sucks, and Alabama has become an offensive jugernaut in the CFB Playoff Era! John Parker Wilson and Greg McElroy wouldn't even get scholarships now.

They should have lost yeaterday @ Auburn, and Geogia will beat them handily. Should be a decent enough game in the Sugar this year between Alabama and Baylor or Oklahoma State.

good post

I guess I'm still frustrated in part that I believe alabama's (and sec) rise was in part due to espn's creation (hyping up the conference, fixing key bowl games and leaving more-deserving teams out, thereby allowing sec teams to acquire better recruits and build up their rosters) -- in my eyes, some of the older alabama teams like you said had clear weaknesses and guys that probably wouldn't even sniff the field now yet at the time they were hyped up to be like the greatest of all time

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaCyclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
They don't belong in the top four. Cincy is just not that good. They were much better last year, and are still getting the benefit of that.
That may be, but whenever people throw this line out there they almost never put who their top-4 would be. So who would be in over Cincy assuming Cincy wins this weekend?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
@jereseib You would take the Fiesta Bowl over winning the Big 12 title? An exhibition over finally breaking the conference championship drought? Crazy imo, but you do you.

Side note, we would have had both your precious exhibition bowl win with a Big 12 crown last year had we pulled it off in Dallas because we would have done the same thing to Florida that OU did to them in the Cotton Bowl.