Bothers me the most

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Walking into an aging roster with a meddling front office, and a fanbase who thinks the only reason you're there is because you're the only guy they could hire, isn't exactly a good opportunity.

That is as good of an opportunity as a first time coach in the league is going to get.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What bothered me is that JP gave him the opportunity when the outside world thought he was crazy. I knew Fred wasn't going to stay forever but I hoped the ride would last until Fred cemented the program as a perennial power.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
That is as good of an opportunity as a first time coach in the league is going to get.

Understood. "As good as it gets" shouldn't be confused with "good" in this case. This situation is not good.

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
What bothered me is that JP gave him the opportunity when the outside world thought he was crazy. I knew Fred wasn't going to stay forever but I hoped the ride would last until Fred cemented the program as a perennial power.

And how do you achieve a perennial power status?

Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas ... will always be regarded ahead of I-State if for no other reason than they have more money.

I-State could become "Wisconsin-like" (and is probably very close to that level already) but even then ... do you think once Bo Ryan leaves the Badgers that they will maintain their status as a B1G perennial power? Hoiberg could have been in Ames another 5 years with consistent success and once he chose to leave they would be exactly where they are today.

3rdGenStater

Oct 7, 2012

Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas ... will always be regarded ahead of I-State if for no other reason than they have more money.

I-State could become "Wisconsin-like" (and is probably very close to that level already) but even then ... do you think once Bo Ryan leaves the Badgers that they will maintain their status as a B1G perennial power? Hoiberg could have been in Ames another 5 years with consistent success and once he chose to leave they would be exactly where they are today.

I imagine Wisconsin has more money to throw around than a lot of schools--and certainly much more than Iowa State.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Understood. "As good as it gets" shouldn't be confused with "good" in this case. This situation is not good.

I think many of us are not being honest with regard to the Bulls situation. Fred has the support of GarPax so out of the gate that's good. He has the support of Scotty Pippen (not that that is huge but it's not bad) and other ex-players and is generally well thought of by former NBA players, that's good or at least not bad. The roster has three point shooters that will now blossom under Fred and the starting five that many of us malign is actually good.

Fred does one thing, succeed. GarPax has wanted this for awhile and has been setting Fred up for success.

Don't get me wrong, IMO Fred has traded a very rare opportunity at ISU for one that I personally don't find as good (in the NBA) but the situation he's going into is good.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Wisconsin is the flagship university in a larger state, bigger/nicer city, with more money, and firmly entrenched in a more prestigious/stable conference. They will always be ahead of ISU unless a coach here routinely gets ISU past Sweet Sixteens to Final Fours (before using ISU as a stepping stone to go to a bigger school).

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
Wisconsin is the flagship university in a larger state, bigger/nicer city, with more money, and firmly entrenched in a more prestigious/stable conference. They will always be ahead of ISU unless a coach here routinely gets ISU past Sweet Sixteens to Final Fours (before using ISU as a stepping stone to go to a bigger school).
You and 3rdGenStarter are just making my point ... CyForce (and others) seems to feel that if Hoiberg were to remain at ISU that I-State could eventually ascend to "perennial power status". His words - not mine.

He's not looking realistically at the program as it compares to others throughout the country. If Wisconsin is a notch ahead of I-State how many others are there?

I will say this ... Wisconsin's basketball status is due entirely to the Bo Ryan era .. some modicum of success before but nothing ever really consistent. I-State with the right coach can be in that status as well, in my opinion. But remember Bo Ryan was one year removed from a Division 3 head coach before he got the UW job.

Sometimes its not the sexy choice (i.e. Hornacek) but rather a solid, stable choice that fits the right style and culture.

Spam

May 21, 2008
You and 3rdGenStarter are just making my point ... CyForce (and others) seems to feel that if Hoiberg were to remain at ISU that I-State could eventually ascend to "perennial power status". His words - not mine.

He's not looking realistically at the program as it compares to others throughout the country. If Wisconsin is a notch ahead of I-State how many others are there?

I will say this ... Wisconsin's basketball status is due entirely to the Bo Ryan era .. some modicum of success before but nothing ever really consistent. I-State with the right coach can be in that status as well, in my opinion. But remember Bo Ryan was one year removed from a Division 3 head coach before he got the UW job.

Sometimes its not the sexy choice (i.e. Hornacek) but rather a solid, stable choice that fits the right style and culture.

And sometimes its the sexy choice that might also be the solid, stable choice that fits the right style and culture.