Bolton is now officially in Portal as expected.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Here is how PrepHoops explained it. No idea if he was a bad teammate or not.

"While some schools would shy away from recruiting a kid who’s been to all of those schools, it hasn’t happened for Bolton, mostly because it wasn’t really his fault. After his freshman season at Millwood, Head Coach Chaz Starnes stepped down. After a roller coaster year at Carlisle as a sophomore, Head Coach Jason Niblett was let go. After half a season at Bishop Sullivan, the entire athletic department was revamped and he left for Huntington Prep."

Every coach you play for being "let go" might be a worrying trend.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Every coach you play for being "let go" might be a worrying trend.

There you go. The real reason Otzelberger canned him, but hid his superstitious nature by telling the hundreds of FOTZ’s to leak the team vitriol towards him

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Let’s be frank. Jacob is no Steele Jantz.
I went back and watched the Texas game. Feel that Park was a bit of a sacrificial lamb to getting to where we are, experienced some of the staff's growing pains and ISU as a program learning to handle 'the moment'.*

I think the blow up on the sideline was Park being frustrated that the plays were taking so long to come in. Which has been a clear issue of this staff since year 1 and continues to need improvement. There were obvious mistakes on his part in the game, namely reaction to pressure and overthrows, but there were also so huge drops, solid passes and questionable play calling.

Forgot that game was really within reach the whole time.

All that to say, Park in my mind is very analogous to Steele Jantz, he simply played in a different era with vastly different hopes/expectations.

* - Think Campbell is still developing in this regard. Texas game, Alamo bowl and Big 12 CCG all had him showing a bit more of his intensity, which I think can be good, but also needs to be harnessed.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I went back and watched the Texas game. Feel that Park was a bit of a sacrificial lamb to getting to where we are, experienced some of the staff's growing pains and ISU as a program learning to handle 'the moment'.*

I think the blow up on the sideline was Park being frustrated that the plays were taking so long to come in. Which has been a clear issue of this staff since year 1 and continues to need improvement. There were obvious mistakes on his part in the game, namely reaction to pressure and overthrows, but there were also so huge drops, solid passes and questionable play calling.

Forgot that game was really within reach the whole time.

All that to say, Park in my mind is very analogous to Steele Jantz, he simply played in a different era with vastly different hopes/expectations.

* - Think Campbell is still developing in this regard. Texas game, Alamo bowl and Big 12 CCG all had him showing a bit more of his intensity, which I think can be good, but also needs to be harnessed.
Jacob Park was running from ghosts in the Texas game. The blowup was probably Campbell calling him out for being the ***** he was. Park wasn't half the QB Jantz was.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Jacob Park was running from ghosts in the Texas game. The blowup was probably Campbell calling him out for being the ***** he was. Park wasn't half the QB Jantz was.
This is just revisionist history. Line was getting demolished, and the game plan wasn't doing any favors, namely Montgomery only having 12 touches (this is called out by broadcast as well). He did start over reacting to pressure after the line got blown up early.

I know Park didn't handle everything well, but let's not act like Jantz is in any way heads and shoulders about Park.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is just revisionist history. Line was getting demolished, and the game plan wasn't doing any favors, namely Montgomery only having 12 touches (this is called out by broadcast as well). He did start over reacting to pressure after the line got blown up early.

I know Park didn't handle everything well, but let's not act like Jantz is in any way heads and shoulders about Park.

There were some stats thrown around from Park at his most recent stop that were just awful.

He was gone two weeks after the UT game so I'll doubt that was the first time there were issues.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

No the line was not getting demolished. Park was running away because Park was afraid of contact. And that's why Jacob Park never amounted to a pinch of ****.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
No the line was not getting demolished. Park was running away because Park was afraid of contact. And that's why Jacob Park never amounted to a pinch of ****.

The line was incredibly inexperienced and was getting pushed back the entire game, one of our best players only got 12 touches and the scheme/adjustments did little to help a qb who was battling and struggling.

He threw 48 times in that game that was fully within reach into the fourth quarter. Unless he went rogue and shook off run calls from the sideline and had more than one or two bad reads on a RPO, that's on the offensive staff.

Was Park the symbol of maturity and leadership that Campbell wanted for this team? Doesn't appear so. Nor am I saying ISU is in a better place today if we never went away from Park, but from a raw talent perspective Park is in the higher end of ISU qbs, and very much in line with some of our most successful qbs.

Player A
Comp %YardsYds/AttAY/ATDIntRating

Player B

Player C

Player D

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I had a couple of classes with Park. Very very weird dude.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Did Park sleep with your girl or something? You appear to have a lot of anger towards him.
No, he just sucked and somehow became a captain and some kind of weird cult hero to fans who thought long hair made him good.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
No, he just sucked and somehow became a captain and some kind of weird cult hero to fans who thought long hair made him good.
I don’t think I have ever seen any ISU fan say he was actually good, what are you even talking about?

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar