Bobby Brown, QB, Storm Lake HS

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The phrase "interested in" can mean many things. Anywhere from somebody high on your list to somebody that makes the cut to get a mailing. My guess is that the staff is reaching out to a number of kids in an attempt to get them to a summer camp to form a better evaluation on them.

Not if he's a senior, as the OP says.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Don't know much about the kid or how he plays. If he was their qb last 2 years ago, being he was a sophomore for the 2007 season, then I most likely played against him at a 7 on 7 pass tournament at Newell-Fonda.

If he was, they were terrible that year, but he would have only been a sophomore, and again not sure if he was the qb that year. can anyone clarify that for me?

Also, ST lake has not had much success playing football. now that doesnt mean that this kid isn't a good athlete. it's just their head coach, used to be at Laurens marathon/albert city truesdale, where he had success but hasn't had much at storm lake. Anyone know why?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Basketball in the 70's when they had the Kennedy twins.

I don't think you have to have won a championship title to be a great prospect.

Kennedy's were late 60's/early 70's, when there were only 2 classes and they beat Roosevelt with Toby (can't remember his last name), then they won state again in 1980

but I digress-they have never competed much at the state level in football

laytonz

Feb 16, 2009
Ames
Guys I'm from Storm Lake and I know the Brown family and Bobby is a heck of an athlete. I grew up down the street from him and played basketball, baseball, and football neighborhood games with him for years. He can probably play football somewhere at a high level, but I really doubt he is seriously being pursued by Division I schools. I say based on the fact one I will know if he is offered and two he is not the same type of athlete that plays for Iowa State. Just from playing some pick up basketball and touch football with guys who are here now he isn't on the same level.

Cloner007

Dec 29, 2008

He is a very good athlete and a good quarterback but playing quarterback at storm lake (not downing storm lake just saying there is a large difference) where they haven't had much success, is a very large jump to Iowa state football. But maybe he just hasn't had the other players that are his caliber playing with him, i don't know. Im just saying IMO he isn't ready to play quarterback at iowa state. I do know he transfered to Heelan and transfered back to SL. rumors were he wasn't going to be playing much at the QB position there due to Mccabe but like i said just rumors nothing based on fact, just opinion. Trying to give you all a little insight on him from living very close to SL and knowing him.

CB21

Mar 13, 2009
Sioux Falls
I'm also from Storm Lake. I know one of his brothers plays football for Wayne State(NE). He "wants" to go to Nortre Dame but that wont happen. He's a good athlete and has been to Nike Camps all over the U.S. but I couldn't tell ya how serious anyone is on offering him anything.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Basically, If you get a QB that has carried his team-mates in HS and won championships, (The Texas QB, The Kansas QB, it won't come as a shock to do it again!. Austen while I like him.... (Atlantic, Ia) didn't rise to the level in HS I feel it takes to have the confidence in the big 12. I remember one year when ever he got rushed a little he bailed by throwing out of bounds. Granted his OL sucked, but you still have to make things happen. Reising, McCoy, Sanchez etc.etc. I am sure had better HS careers than Austen.

In Wrestling if you don't win State Championships, Your stock goes down. Storm Lake? Gimme a break. A dozen 2A schools could take them out.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I like how people just assume he is not good because he is from a small school...
I think it's not a fact of whether a player from a small school is good, it's if he can, or even wants to, compete at Iowa State or a DI level. There are few small schools in the state that can prepare guys to do so. A-P is one.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Im a ISU fan wise***. I paid for two of my kids to go there. How many of your kids did you pay ISU to educate? Thats what I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Basically, If you get a QB that has carried his team-mates in HS and won championships, (The Texas QB, The Kansas QB, it won't come as a shock to do it again!. Austen while I like him.... (Atlantic, Ia) didn't rise to the level in HS I feel it takes to have the confidence in the big 12. I remember one year when ever he got rushed a little he bailed by throwing out of bounds. Granted his OL sucked, but you still have to make things happen. Reising, McCoy, Sanchez etc.etc. I am sure had better HS careers than Austen.

In Wrestling if you don't win State Championships, Your stock goes down. Storm Lake? Gimme a break. A dozen 2A schools could take them out.

Are you talking about Bret Meyer (Atlantic, IA) or Austen Arnaud (Ames, IA)?

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sorry but I meant Austen. But Bret Meyer still proves my point. A good solid kid for sure, but NOT the calibre of talent we need to beat the Teasa and okies of the world.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Im a ISU fan wise***. I paid for two of my kids to go there. How many of your kids did you pay ISU to educate? Thats what I thought.

3A is not small. I didn't say he wasn't good, only that I have never heard of him. IF he was great I am sure we would have.

Is this in response to me? Because I'm confused. I'm basically agreeing with you. My comment was in response to the post I quoted.

And, considering my kids are 3 years old and 6 months, I haven't paid any college for them yet. But I paid (and am still paying) my own way through school at Iowa State. I'm hoping my kids will inherit my husband's athletic talent and they'll get to go to school for free. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bobber