Boat Buying Advice???

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I’m a boater. Have a 29 foot Cobalt. This is easy. Go get a battery charger and charge the battery and start it. See how it runs. It’s just a battery. Batteries in boats are always dead if you don’t take them out for the winter. Mine has two engines and thus two batteries. Don’t be lazy with the battery if you buy it. Take it out and keep it inside.

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
The boathouse is on a river between 2 lakes and one is Lake Winnebago, which is the largest lake in Wisconsin. This also gives access to the Wolf and Fox Rivers and several other pretty large lakes. Boathouse is just under a grand a year and you can store all year there. I figure that if I really love boating and want to bounce around I could just buy something to tow it with in the future.
That's a pretty good situation and the boathouse is cheap. If you can be sure the boat is sound I would give it a try. You can always change your mind without much financial loss.

Also, I've established a ton of new friendships over the years boating. I can also say I've had more fun on our boat than I ever could on a golf course if you know what I mean.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
The closer I get to having enough money to buy a boat, the more expensive of a boat I want.
It's a very odd supply/demand graph that I've come upon.
Similar here. Always wanted a wakesurfing boat and started looking at 20 year old boats but even those are still expensive as they hold their value very good. Decided didn’t want to worry about a risk of getting a boat with issues as people run them pretty hard, so got a new one couple years ago and love every moment on the water. Especially sharing it with family and friends.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I echo the following sentiments:
- Buy the batteries and make sure the boat runs. I've had buddies get screwed with assuming things are ok, only to find out later the seller was a giant POS.
- If you want to buy a boat, go buy it. Have a great time with your family, and worry about the money when you're dead.

I agree about getting a battery and running it. Need to get it on the water and make sure it run right and there are no leaks or funny sounds.

As far as the guy ripping him off, that could be the case or it could be that something happened to the boat in storage that he is not aware of, like a cracked head.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The only people I know that use their boat on a regular basis are avid fisherman. Everyone else I know that own boats to cruise around on the lake and tube/ski complain about how little they use their boat. My inlaws right now have a boat they keep in the marina for the whole family to use and they were just complaining about how little use it gets.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
When buying any used boat, it is always money well spent to have a reputable boat mechanic go over the boat and report any issues.

First step I would suggest is find out who winterized the boat and who did any mechanical repairs to the boat and then give them a call.

You will need some way to tow the boat. Even if it is just to borrow a pickup to take it to a mechanic every year to get it winterized.

If you have never driven a boat, find someone to teach you how. It's nothing like driving a car. No breaks and you are always dealing with momentum, current, waves, wakes, and wind.

Spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos on driving and maintaining a boat.

Highly recommended taking a boating safety course and it may even get you a discount on your insurance.

If you are willing to put in the time and money to properly maintain and operate your boat safely, boating can be a very enjoyable pastime.

Great family time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

livinthedream

Feb 4, 2008
Elk River Mn
Sea Ray boats are solid, mercruiser parts are plentiful. 4000 is a good price to find out if you like it. Take a boater safety course, it'll save you headaches. I have a 40 foot sea ray.... solid boats with a good history.

Reactions: Macloney

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Took the parents pontoon from Lansing through the lock to Brownsville, MN last summer. Great trip had not gone that far north before.

We just had flatbed fishing boats growing up but now with 5 grandkids under 5, the parents decided to get pontoon.

Did the math on buying vs renting at Saylorville and it was about 35 days worth of rental cost to buy. Took it out at least 8 days last year. Anticipate that being more in years to come.

Also have the benefit of being a boat family so my dad does most the work himself.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
If you are going to use it that is one thing but if it won't get a run out on a consistent basis? Its like having a cabin. You get to use it a few times a year if you are lucky and the rest of the time is maintenance. New roof, new well, new well pump etc etc.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The other thing is this on boats. I have a lake home. I am at it all the time. The boat is running every weekend or every other weekend. Boats need to be ran to stay in good shape. Much like every other thing. If you use a car two or three times a year you will have problems just by it sitting around. So make sure you use the boat if you get it. The good thing is that it's only 4k. Now that may seem like a lot to some people but with a trailer, that's a good starter boat even if it ends up sucking you can cut your loses. A trailer at minimum usually runs 1500 to 2k. So you could easily resell it pretty fast.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
30,000 dollar boat??? Holy cow.

Guys at the golf league at work used to give me **** about showing up in my Boxster because it was a "Porsche". Same guys drove big new mothership pickups that cost more than my used Boxster had. They used their motherships to tow their big ass fishing boats that also cost more than my used Boxster.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Guys at the golf league at work used to give me **** about showing up in my Boxster because it was a "Porsche". Same guys drove big new mothership pickups that cost more than my used Boxster had. They used their motherships to tow their big ass fishing boats that also cost more than my used Boxster.
I just thought it was kinda high for a boat that he wanted to putz around in. Can usually find one of those for 10k or less with a trailer.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Talked to the guy and he is very receptive to something like I pay a mechanic for a tune-up of up to $500 and he covers anything over that. This should cover anything that isn't major and I was going to have it tuned anyway. If it is something major we will reevaluate. This way I'm not completely on the hook.

There just isn't a lot available at this price and nothing in this condition at this price point up here and there are almost no outboards available.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
That looks super clean. In this Covid environment, with demand still spiking for water rec (jet skis, boats) this will not be around long if you choose not to buy it. Supply for new is tight. So the used market is tight. But that won't last forever. There will be a GLUT of used 2019, 2020, 2021 watercraft a few years out. Great buying opportunity ahead for used.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The guy wants to sell you a broke down boat? Tell him to get it running first and then you'll buy it. Or think about buying it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The boathouse is on a river between 2 lakes and one is Lake Winnebago, which is the largest lake in Wisconsin. This also gives access to the Wolf and Fox Rivers and several other pretty large lakes. Boathouse is just under a grand a year and you can store all year there. I figure that if I really love boating and want to bounce around I could just buy something to tow it with in the future.

That sounds like a great location, access to big lakes AND rivers.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Talked to the guy and he is very receptive to something like I pay a mechanic for a tune-up of up to $500 and he covers anything over that. This should cover anything that isn't major and I was going to have it tuned anyway. If it is something major we will reevaluate. This way I'm not completely on the hook.

There just isn't a lot available at this price and nothing in this condition at this price point up here and there are almost no outboards available.
That sounds reasonable. Pay for battery, tune up, oil change, outdrive service, and anything else his. Outdrive service would not include tearing down and rebuild due to dry seals. I had one sit for 2 years that needed it.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron