Blum: Bring on November

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You did a good job of highlighting where we've been. Pre-Mac, we weren't even competitive with the really good teams. A name your score affair almost every time. Even when we were competitive overall (Mac era and after), it still wasn't close in most cases. These last two seasons have really been remarkable in that regard.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
great article. I remember the 2010 game vs Utah where it felt like it was going to be a measuring stick for where we were as a program and though they were not in the P5 they were a top 10 team and well respected. It was another one of those opportunities to turn the corner. They hung 68 on us and was just a reminder that we were not ready to compete with elite programs. We have countless games like that and it's crazy to see where we are at now!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
great article. I remember the 2010 game vs Utah where it felt like it was going to be a measuring stick for where we were as a program and though they were not in the P5 they were a top 10 team and well respected. It was another one of those opportunities to turn the corner. They hung 68 on us and was just a reminder that we were not ready to compete with elite programs. We have countless games like that and it's crazy to see where we are at now!
******* Shaky Smithson

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO

I missed my flight from LAX to Dulles because I stayed longer than I should have at the bar watching that waste of a game...I don't know what I was thinking.

• Friendly
Reactions: Spanky

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Then the next week was a 52-0 drubbing at OU. Good thing we are much ahead of those times.

Reactions: wclarson

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm the same age as Blum and I still brace myself for the nut kicks. It's getting better, but I have some pretty bad PTSD from 30-some years of that crap.
vauEUgn.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's all right there...they don't dare let things get weird over the next two weeks.

Anyone can be good in November.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
"The conference went to ten teams in 2011 and up until last season, the Cyclones never finished higher than eighth and never were a threat to get even near the upper half of the conference."

Though it shouldn't disparage your point, 2013 was a 3 way tie for 7th.

And on a related note, last year was great. Even so, a 4 way tie for 4th sort-a means ISU was anywhere from 4th to 7th. Tiebreakers are not formally used for anything other than determining who plays in the conference championship. But still, if you apply the tiebreaker rules anyway, ISU would lose the tiebreak to all of the other 3 tied teams. Even though they were better than the other 3.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
They were so much faster than us. That’s what I remember the most about that game. It looked like we were in slow motion the whole game compared to them.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Why are we talking about those awful games? I have moved on from that weak mindset. We win and expect to win in Ames, Iowa!

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
That game haunted me for years. That was a really low point in Cyclone football.

• Agree
Reactions: isume6