BLOG: Four possible candidates to replace Otzelberger

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'd say none of the four. at Iowa State we need solid recruiters, none of those guys bring that to the table. Even though TJ's position did a little less recruiting than in the past. Did Sadler get promoted at KU after Dooley left?

Hoiberg, Abdelmassih, and Mann are already fairly solid recruiters.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Somebody with good recruiting experience in the Chicago area would be nice[/QUOTE

In that case Jay Price or Jerrance Howard would be good gets. Can recruit Chicago and St. Louis. Howard is at SMU right now. That being said, don't see either happening. Chicago is a slimey place for recruiting. Would prefer CFH to stay away from there.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If it is a solid recruiter, than it needs to definitely be a solid recruiter who has a strong background on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not talking about a guy who has coached the 2-3 zone for 20 years or presses or something. I'm talking about a guy who knows how to teach simple fundamental defense well and can scheme when needed.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
People, people, people. Aside from making Rashad Vaughn a player/coach and hiring him for the position, ISU should look to really make a splash.

How about Jeff Hornacek?

Or someone else with NBA ties that can really recuit? Mayor surely knows somebody fitting this description.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Sadler is the home run hire. Carmondy is an interesting suggestion too. I'd even be happy with a guy like Todd Lickliter. In this case I think Hoiberg should be looking for a defensive guy with head coaching experience that will be a coach first and a recruiter second.

This. Add a defensive-minded experienced coach and we could really improve. The recruiting hasn't been a problem. Defense has.

Reactions: Luth4Cy

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If you're going to get some super awesome recruiter, you might as well get rid of Matt A, and then go find a guy who knows a thing or two about coaching to replace Otz.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If it is a solid recruiter, than it needs to definitely be a solid recruiter who has a strong background on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not talking about a guy who has coached the 2-3 zone for 20 years or presses or something. I'm talking about a guy who knows how to teach simple fundamental defense well and can scheme when needed.

Bringing in talent in my mind trumps everything in today's college bball world. I know Hoiberg would agree with me too. Also, I don't terribly mind mediocre defense if it means spectacular offense. As the old military saying goes "the best defense is a good offense".

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Regarding Doc Sadler and KU:

Self said he was still early in the process of looking for a replacement for assistant Joe Dooley, who left to become Florida Gulf Coast's head coach last week."I'm not even to first base on what I'm going to do on that yet," Self said.

The coach did say he was going to hire someone from outside the program and that it wouldn't be an in-house promotion. That rules out former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler, who was hired last season as KU's director of basketball operations and is still on the staff in that role.

"Doc and I have visited, and I do know this: that I really, really, really enjoyed having him around," Self said. "I don't know. He's probably got to do more than what he's done for us, to be honest with you. He was a big asset to us in that position, but he wants to coach, so we'll see how that plays out."

With the new assistant coach, Self said he was looking for "somebody that's very well-rounded, that will bring energy and enthusiasm, be a good on-the-floor coach, and then also be a guy with excellent contacts in areas in which we need contacts."

In a tweet sent Friday afternoon, ESPN.com's Jason King listed Texas A&M assistant and former KU staffer Kyle Keller and SMU assistant Jerrance Howard as potential candidates for KU's opening.

I don't think any reporter pressed Self on this, but it doesn't sound to me like Doc is solid, even in his current position, at KU.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I wonder if there are any of Fred's old NBA teammates who would fit the bill. I'm thinking something like what Kevin Ollie did at UCONN, a great recruiter with credibility from their basketball success.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If you're going to get some super awesome recruiter, you might as well get rid of Matt A, and then go find a guy who knows a thing or two about coaching to replace Otz.

Give Matt time. While he has had a few struggles from the start, I really think the kid has potential in the future. If you don't believe me, just listen to one of the CF podcasts where CW interviews him. Very sharp kid.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This. Add a defensive-minded experienced coach and we could really improve. The recruiting hasn't been a problem. Defense has.

The only way I would give up recruiting is for defensive knowledge. Sadler would be fine with me but otherwise i would like to see a recruiter. TJ was our best to this point.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Are there any former ISU basketball greats that are looking to become college basketball coaches? Obviously the last one we hired is working quite well.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Give Matt time. While he has had a few struggles from the start, I really think the kid has potential in the future. If you don't believe me, just listen to one of the CF podcasts where CW interviews him. Very sharp kid.

Oh, i'm not saying to get rid of Matt. I just think we need someone who is more of a coach than a recruiter to replace Otz.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The only way I would give up recruiting is for defensive knowledge. Sadler would be fine with me but otherwise i would like to see a recruiter. TJ was our best to this point.

The only way ISU can get better on defense is through recruiting.

I think we can all agree that Tim Floyd and Greg McDermott were two coaches that focused on defense. One had Kelvin Cato, the other Jiri Hubalek.

Help Support Us

Become a patron