Blockhus to Minnesota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I still find it odd he transferred out of Northern Iowa. Did they have someone that would've beaten him out?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I still find it odd he transferred out of Northern Iowa. Did they have someone that would've beaten him out?

I wondered the same thing. It sounds like he's going to 149. Geerts is at 157 so it wouldn't be him. I don't know how Blockhus would stack up against Lara, but I think that's who will probably man 149 for UNI now. I would probably lean toward Blockhus in that one. The people I've talked to in New Hampton are all a little confused as well, although I haven't talked to anyone overly close to the situation.

He's a good kid. I wish him the best.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
He was the 13 seed as a Redshirt Freshman at NCAA's, he's not worried about losing his spot. I would say the opposite, he wants better partners. UNI will be down the next couple years, especially now.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
He was the 13 seed as a Redshirt Freshman at NCAA's, he's not worried about losing his spot. I would say the opposite, he wants better partners. UNI will be down the next couple years, especially now.

Yeah, I'd guess Max Thomsen graduating played a pretty big role in him looking for new opportunities. Now he can go scrap with Brayton Lee.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is Covid any reason. What is UNI's plan for the season? They didn't play football, is winter sports at risk?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Is Covid any reason. What is UNI's plan for the season? They didn't play football, is winter sports at risk?
Was that a school based decision or was that whole division of NCAA football shutdown?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They are planning on wrestling. I’ve gone to the last two duals we had in the west gym so their ticket office had my number and wanted me to consider buying season tickets. They claim they have their best home dual schedule ever (Us, okie st, couple big 10 schools or something too). So I think they are fully planning on it. Wrestling in the McCloud Center I guess. Makes sense given one person sneezes and the whole west gym would get infected lol

Reactions: buf87

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
That may be what he is thinking, but I believe he is mistaken. For his weight class and style, he had one of the best training situations around, especially coaching. My opinion. Would have been better at Iowa State with Metcalf, St. John, not so sure about Minnesota.
We’re getting better and should stay ahead of UNI, but do not sleep on what UNI has in that room.

Last edited:

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
That may be what he is thinking, but I believe he is mistaken. For his weight class and style, he had one of the best training situations around, especially coaching. My opinion. Would have been better at Iowa State with Metcalf, St. John, not so sure about Minnesota.
We’re getting better and should stay ahead of UNI, but do not sleep on what UNI has in that room.
Who in the room around his weight makes it one of the best training situations around? Cael Happel possibly, but very young and have to see what he develops into. They have good lightweights and I agree Schwab is a great coach (still don't know how he won coach of the year in B12 last year though). Other partners would be Triston Lara, Gable Fox, Keaton Geerts, Cayd Lara, Evan Yant. Solid kids, but I would say borderline NCAA Qualifiers. UNI recruits Iowa great, but I think a lot of people from Iowa see their great high school careers and think that is instantly going to transfer over into college. Not knocking those kids abilities, but I think there is a little bias if you watch them all through high school. I would say Blockhus is looking for high AA, National Champion level training. Maybe he thinks Brayton Lee and a B10 room can provide that.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I guess I consider coaching, support system and culture to be part of a good training situation. Not just partners that are studs. Again, my opinion. I’m sure he’ll do fine wherever he is.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG