Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
The pro-playing Iowa and anti-playing Iowa people are both right. I'm for playing them (life is too short for my favorite team not to play the dastardly hawkeyes) but it will hurt us more than not.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
Would love to stop playing Iowa. We gain nothing by playing them likewise they gain nothing by playing us. Iowa beats us they gain nothing (other than bragging rights) as they beat Iowa State big deal. If we lose, then that prevents us from being one game closer to becoming bowl eligible.

ISU beats Iowa? Who cares, it is Iowa, they will likely suck the rest of the season as well (See Iowa's 4-8 2012 record).

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Meh, it wouldn't be my first pick.

I would rather we find a way to be more successful in the B12 first.
But it is laughable to think that taking a L in the non-con schedule is doing us any good right now when at best we are second or third from the bottom of the B12.

If ISU ends up finding a way to be more successful in the Big 12, they will, at the same time, be more successful against Iowa. Dumping Iowa is a chicken **** move, no way around it.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
If ISU ends up finding a way to be more successful in the Big 12, they will, at the same time, be more successful against Iowa. Dumping Iowa is a chicken **** move, no way around it.
Guess we will have to disagree and move on.

I think you are completely wrong, I'm pretty sure you feel I am as well.

To me I'm ok with being a chicken **** and beating up on the Jackrabbits rather than Iowa for a W before we start the B12. Doesn't bother me one bit.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wasn't our SOS in the 40's or something like that last year? Shouldn't be a whole lot different this year. Guess I don't need to do any blaming.

I looked up our last 4 SOS rankings according to Sagarin (I know there are different formulas out there) since things got "rough" with the 9 game schedule.

23rd, 11th, 2nd, 24th, average of 15th

Since it always gets compared to Iowa their average SOS the same past 4 years is 42.5. Does that mean ISU would have torn through a Big Ten schedule? Definitely not. Does it mean there's an extra win here or there? Almost certainly.

If I had to guess based on past years I'd say our SOS will be between 5-15 this year. A lot of it actually hangs on if NDSU is ranked as they typically have been in Sagarin from 25-50. If they are I think KU might be the only potential game that's a drag on the SOS rating. Iowa's worst SOS in the past 4 years was 49, so I'd have to guess they'll be 45-60 range but if even one of their Big Ten schedule opponents or ISU/Pitt perform above expectations they'll probably be in typical 40-ish SOS range for them.

Last edited:

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
Would love to stop playing Iowa. We gain nothing by playing them likewise they gain nothing by playing us.

I can't get to this mindset. Dumping your in state rival just for the sake of getting a 6th win from a cupcake is pathetic. Just because other teams do it doesn't mean ISU has to. And check back to this message board/TV/radio/newspaper when ISU beats Iowa if you really feel 'we gain nothing'.

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
What people don't realize is that this Iowa game is extremely important, you know why? Money!!!! My guess is that Iowa and Iowa State get good revenue from this old rivalry! If I do remember right, money doesn't buy happiness but it does help with that SEZ project!

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I can't get to this mindset. Dumping your in state rival just for the sake of getting a 6th win from a cupcake is pathetic. Just because other teams do it doesn't mean ISU has to. And check back to this message board/TV/radio/newspaper when ISU beats Iowa if you really feel 'we gain nothing'.
I think his (and my feeling) is that if you take a step back from it. We gain nothing special from the win that any other win wouldn't do for us.

Sure you can thump your chest at the water cooler and make fun of your neighbor.

But we just have too many fans that are ok with beating Iowa then finishing the season with maybe 3 wins and they couldn't be more happy.

Reactions: CyBobby

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Guess we will have to disagree and move on.

I think you are completely wrong, I'm pretty sure you feel I am as well.

To me I'm ok with being a chicken **** and beating up on the Jackrabbits rather than Iowa for a W before we start the B12. Doesn't bother me one bit.

The thing is, when 90% of the Big 12 is playing a power 5 team in the non-conference, you probably should be following suit. Look at the other teams the Big 12 is playing in the non-con. You could make an argument that Iowa is in the bottom 3 or 4 of talent. Off the top of my head, those teams include Iowa, Auburn, Duke, Tennessee, Florida State, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas and Minnesota.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Hasn't the difficulty of our schedule helped with bowl placement? Aren't the Insight, Pinstripe, and Liberty bowls fairly good for a 6-6 team? Would we have been put in the Famous Potato bowl or not been invited at all if we had a softer schedule, like Iowa in 2007, with a significantly weaker schedule?

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Hasn't the difficulty of our schedule helped with bowl placement? Aren't the Insight, Pinstripe, and Liberty bowls fairly good for a 6-6 team? Would we have been put in the Famous Potato bowl or not been invited at all if we had a softer schedule, like Iowa in 2007, with a significantly weaker schedule?
SOS has absolutely nothing to do with bowl placement.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is one topic where when it turns to Iowa it's for a rational reason, and just wait until Iowa goes to 9 conference games. Cruising their sites it seems like a majority of fans would favor the game going to 2 on, 2 off after the current contract. It does seem like a logical way to help solve all the problems while keeping what's best about the series.

Iowa fans will realize what kind of schedule ISU has been playing the first time they get a 9 game schedule that includes Michigan, OSU, Penn St, Nebraska and Wisconsin. Imagine if they had a #2 SOS a few years ago like ISU did instead of their typical 40s, we'd never hear the end of it about how tough their league is.

Some kind of regular rotation, every other year or 2 on, 2 off. Look at international soccer, there's the world cup, year off, euro cup, year off, world cup. The local fans and rivalry might even get MORE intense if they took a year or two off.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
In-State rivals are over rated. Is Texas or A&M suffering after their rivalry ended?
h7995B6A3

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
The thing is, when 90% of the Big 12 is playing a power 5 team in the non-conference, you probably should be following suit. Look at the other teams the Big 12 is playing in the non-con. You could make an argument that Iowa is in the bottom 3 or 4 of talent. Off the top of my head, those teams include Iowa, Auburn, Duke, Tennessee, Florida State, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas and Minnesota.

If we want to be successful, we need wins. K-State didn't become successful by playing power conference foes in the beginning. They loaded up on patsies in the non-con and managed to rack up wins. With more wins, came better players. With better players, then came the ability to beat better teams. It's a moot point because the Iowa game isn't going anywhere, but I wouldn't mind seeing it go away in favor of a sure-fire win.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
I think his (and my feeling) is that if you take a step back from it. We gain nothing special from the win that any other win wouldn't do for us.

Sure you can thump your chest at the water cooler and make fun of your neighbor.

But we just have too many fans that are ok with beating Iowa then finishing the season with maybe 3 wins and they couldn't be more happy.

True but I still think there are greater dividends than thumping your chest when ISU wins. I don't know how you can quantify it but it has to help with recruiting, AD donations, sponsorships, etc.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines

Much harder to get to 6-6 playing Iowa. We could still make those bowl games if we schedule bottom feeders in the FCS or crappy teams in the power five conferences.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The 9th conference game has basically eliminated a game at Utah ('11), a H/H with Air Force ('13/'14), and a 2-for-1 with Western Kentucky ('12/'14/'15), and more or less caused a H/H with Navy ('18/'19) to be replaced by a H/H with Akron.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
SOS has absolutely nothing to do with bowl placement.

But it has a ton to do with the difference between a 5-7 year and a 6-6 year...but if ISU fans have the correct goal it should be to move beyond the quest to get 6 wins whether it's with our average #15 SOS or manipulating a cake non-conf to get a #30 SOS (which is the lowest our SOS will ever be in this B12, just watch, Baylor will still have a top 25-35 SOS).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If we want to be successful, we need wins. K-State didn't become successful by playing power conference foes in the beginning. They loaded up on patsies in the non-con and managed to rack up wins. With more wins, came better players. With better players, then came the ability to beat better teams. It's a moot point because the Iowa game isn't going anywhere, but I wouldn't mind seeing it go away in favor of a sure-fire win.

The truth is the media and fans of other teams are too lazy to ever consider SOS, even AP and coaches poll don't consider it which is why I'm thankful the BCS formula at least used 1/3 computer data. We didn't get any acclaim for going to a bowl with the #2 SOS in 2011.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron