Biggest improvement over prior Hoiberg teams...

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
One of the things I'm most impressed with Fred for is his willingness to listen and learn. Hiring in Doc Sadler is an example. I think we'll continue to see him bring in "emeritus" head coaches to spend a year or two mentoring him.

Guess I see Fred's style a little differently. I see a willingness to delegate responsibility. I think Fred takes a team approach to coaching similar to the way he asks his players to play games. He feels there is plenty to do for everyone. After Bobby L. he was no longer looking for a mentor. What he saw in Doc was a wealth of experience and someone that could handle responsibility. Doc has earned Fred's respect by responding when asked and pitching in to get the job done.

A while after the KU win in KC all of our coaches sat down together to watch part of the Baylor - Texas game at an arena table. You could see Fred discuss a few objectives and make a few comments to the other coaches for about 15 minutes. Then Fred left the assistant coaches and went on. The assistant coaches remained and took some more notes on Baylor. Doc was there the longest. I took it he was asked to stay and make some observations.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
3 letters: A B C....Always-Be-Closing

This years team, whether it's coaching or just a change in player's mentality, plays their best when they have to, and are so strong at the end of games. They battle back from late game deficits, make clutch shots, and hit free throws when they have to.

Michigan, BYU, UNI, Iowa, Boise St, KSt, OU, @OkSt, Okst, KSt, KU, & Baylor. All games they had to be tough down the stretch to win.

I think @OU & @KSt were the only times when they had a real chance to get the win, but they couldn't come up with one more big shot, or get one more big stop.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Guts, toughness, tenacity, never-say-die...whatever you want to call it, this team's attitude is the difference. We still have a lot of defensive lapses, we are not better offensively (especially 3-pt shooting), we have been mauled on the glass at times...doesn't matter. In all but 1 situation, this team has fought back to at least make a run and more often than not simply beat the other team into submission. Time and time again it's happened and what's most impressive is that it's not always the same players leading the charge.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Defense and overall toughness.

Some of the improvements in each of those areas I think is due to the addition of Doc, but some of it is also the players we have.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
3 letters: A B C....Always-Be-Closing

This years team, whether it's coaching or just a change in player's mentality, plays their best when they have to, and are so strong at the end of games. They battle back from late game deficits, make clutch shots, and hit free throws when they have to.

Michigan, BYU, UNI, Iowa, Boise St, KSt, OU, @OkSt, Okst, KSt, KU, & Baylor. All games they had to be tough down the stretch to win.

I think @OU & @KSt were the only times when they had a real chance to get the win, but they couldn't come up with one more big shot, or get one more big stop.

@BU as well. Tied game with two minutes left and let BU go on a 13-0 run to end the game.

But, I still totally agree with your statement. This group is tough and has shown us enough to trust them in tight spots.