Bigger Impact on college Football, COVID or Racism?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
What's going to have the bigger Impact on college football this fall, COVID or fallout from the racial unrest?

Now that young black people have been emboldened to speak up for themselves, I can't imagine this is going to go well for a lot of coaching staffs. We've seen the issues at Iowa, Clemson, FSU. How long before more issues come out? Will protests such as we've seen carry over to the college game?

Then you obviously have the COVID mess. 5 players involved in a 50 person workout at Alabama test positive. OSU has had a number of players test positive as well as a few here at ISU. If this continues into the fall, how often will we see players missing games for being quarantined? How many coaches would sit a asymptomatic star player that tests positive?

to a degree they are closely linked. Who is dying at higher percentages from Covid? Who has worse access to healthcare? Who has higher percentages out of work due to Covid? Who already had higher poverty rates prior to Covid taking jobs?

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
We're also learning more and, at least right now, it seems like outside events have a much lower risk. If you'd asked me a month ago I would have thought we'd have an empty stadium. But now I think that if there is football played the stands will be partially full, though reduced from usual. The question is gonna be whether schools can consistently field a team because there's gonna be outbreaks and, even though football players are a low risk group there's well over 10,000 college football players out there plus thousands of higher risk coaches, somebody is gonna get a bad roll of the dice and pass from this during the season. But is it gonna be a high profile player or coach that gets a bunch of attention? Or is it gonna be a third string guy on an FCS roster?
Huh? The Champions League match in Milan on Feb. 19 basically was the genesis for the massive spread throughout northern Italy and Spain.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Three Auburn football players test positive for COVID-19 upon return to campus for workouts

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-covid-19-upon-return-to-campus-for-workouts/

I think this right here is the biggest problem for football. Regardless of what is decided regarding fans, I'm not sure how we can handle infected players. What if several players test positive in season? Clearly they are sitting out for a couple weeks, but do we also have to quarantine anyone who was in close contact with them? You could deplete rosters in a hurry with this. And college football games aren't easily rescheduled, so I think you would be looking at forfeitures and not postponements.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think this right here is the biggest problem for football. Regardless of what is decided regarding fans, I'm not sure how we can handle infected players. What if several players test positive in season? Clearly they are sitting out for a couple weeks, but do we also have to quarantine anyone who was in close contact with them? You could deplete rosters in a hurry with this. And college football games aren't easily rescheduled, so I think you would be looking at forfeitures and not postponements.

Every sport will have positive testing participants and that's a huge problem.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
they're not bringing football players back to campus just to cancel the season.

they're not allowing off season program to start up this week just to cancel the season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Has Iowa opened back up? Texas was going down, but has shot back up like a rocket ship recently. Granted, Iowa has a significantly smaller population and its much more disbursed than Texas.

As to the OP, COVID will be what shuts down sports. Unless there is massive unified front, there won't be anything. There may be a lot of protests/demonstrations (I'm waiting for the first team/person to not play for 9 minutes), but the games would continue.

See the "daily infections and testing" graph. Not sure where you got the rocket ship comment, but it's not reflected in the stats.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm glad we have people like you to remind us that since we don't think like you we are wrong.

You act like there will be no other large events held if ISU or college football does not happen. It's going to happen one way or another. Going to the store to get essentials is a risk. Unfortunately we have to live with this virus and yes its important to be smart and minimize risk, but there is risk in our everyday lives. Pollard has at least admitted these things and you won't be penalized for choosing not to go. At least they're trying to go about it in the most safe way as possible yet be clear with information in advance.

People that choose not to go are also probably the people who would avoid others who have been in a large gatherings. My family is still in that mode. We've only been around an extremely small amount of people in effort to error on the safe side. I may not even go to the games myself but will decide as time gets closer.

If I say the world is round and someone says the world is flat...is that a situation where we’re both right? Or is one side wrong even though they believe what they are saying?

Reactions: Doc

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Covid will stop college sports if people let it. The fans are the ones that might be at risk. Young, health people have almost zero chance of dying from Covid. Especially athletes, who have great access to medical treatments and healthy food.

Black players refusing to play could happen, but if it does, they may lose their scholarships, which does them and the school no good.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm assuming that is a combination of current infections + antibody tests? That's what it looks like from the data above, but it doesn't really say.

"Until May 20, the calculation included antibody tests as well as viral tests. The removal of antibody tests on May 20 led to a small increase in the rate."

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
COVID will shut down a season before race will. Period

Also, Texas hasn't "surged" they are flat on deaths

upload_2020-6-8_11-2-44.png

and are flat relative to April for ICU occupancy

9a-TMC-covid-19-icu-occupancy-trend-6-8-2020.png

Deaths are MASSIVELY isolated with long-term-care and older demographics, just like everywhere else

upload_2020-6-8_11-9-41.png

Attendance at football games this fall will most likely consist of younger and healthier people as those at risk for COVID are being asked and should stay home. Unfortunately poorer communities are also being hit by the virus. But it's highly unlikely those communities consist of season ticket holders for football games.

I expect a 50%-75% full Jack Trice stadium come season start unless a rock solid treatment or vaccine comes about in the coming months.

Racism will hopefully create a greater long term change on the system. People like Chris Doyle and Brian Ferentz are everywhere and need to be ex-communicated from football. Coaches are almost always public employees and so the transparency should be higher and greater for these highly compensated fellows. My hope is a better system arrives. It appears to be happening, but will be slow and take time. Paying players probably happens faster now than it would pre-George Floyd.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
See the "daily infections and testing" graph. Not sure where you got the rocket ship comment, but it's not reflected in the stats.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

Yeah, click on confirmed infections and note the general trend of that chart. It's still upwards.

I was using John Hopkins tracking which is basically the same number of cases.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/texas

Rocket ship may have been a touch overkill but it sure isn't trending downwards.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, click on confirmed infections and note the general trend of that chart. It's still upwards.

I was using John Hopkins tracking which is basically the same number of cases.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/texas

Rocket ship may have been a touch overkill but it sure isn't trending downwards.

The amount of tests conducted matters. If you do 5,000 tests and get 1,000 positives, it is entirely different than if you do 20,000 tests and get 1,500 positives.