Big12 bags $31 million from this year's dance ...

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I’m really liking this 10-team league thing we have going on right now.

Its great now and will be over the next 3-4 years...Then it will be a matter of if OU fball is still a top 10 program and TX has returned to dominance as well...If so...we could see a new contract...if 1 of these 2 doesnt happen it will be very very difficult for this conference to keep OU and KU from bolting to the BIG who has been courting them for several years now. Those are the 2 states that the BIG wants access to more than anything besides TX which they wont get.

Not to derail the OP which I kinda did.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Paying out over 6 years is ridiculous. Or maybe the NCAA pays market-rate interest. Yeah, right. I wonder if this is the NCAA's way to make sure they have 5 years worth of operating funds when their cartel is eventually broken.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Its great now and will be over the next 3-4 years...Then it will be a matter of if OU fball is still a top 10 program and TX has returned to dominance as well...If so...we could see a new contract...if 1 of these 2 doesnt happen it will be very very difficult for this conference to keep OU and KU from bolting to the BIG who has been courting them for several years now. Those are the 2 states that the BIG wants access to more than anything besides TX which they wont get.

People may not like it, but you are correct. OU, I think, has always been the wildcard. Still do not trust them. ISU taking a gamble with the north end zone plans, but I think you must plan for success, rather than sit on your hands and see what happens.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People may not like it, but you are correct. OU, I think, has always been the wildcard. Still do not trust them. ISU taking a gamble with the north end zone plans, but I think you must plan for success, rather than sit on your hands and see what happens.

I propose we kick their ass this fall in Ames, you know, just to test their resolve and Big 12 commitment. :rolleyes:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Still don't think that OU goes anywhere without cowpokes...if I remember correctly, this was a big stumbling block when the PAC came calling for OU and Texas. If OU goes to the BIG then KU is *hit out of luck as OU/OSU will be a package deal.

ISU is doing everything that it can do to make itself somewhat valuable in the 2023/2024 timeframe. Why do think that all of the construction and upgrades are going on right now...we're painting the house, putting granite countertops in, and adding some landscaping for the home sale.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
OU has some of the worst academics. Big ten isn’t happening.

Take that argument and throw it out the window. Sure when it was the Big 10 with 9 teams looking to add 1 then ye no way OU gets in..but 15 teams and looking to add 1 pft..they dont care at that point..its all about revenue.

• Disagree

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Take that argument and throw it out the window. Sure when it was the Big 10 with 9 teams looking to add 1 then ye no way OU gets in..but 15 teams and looking to add 1 pft..they dont care at that point..its all about revenue.
Big 10 has never invited a non aau school to join. I'm sure the ad's would love to have them but the president's make the decision. The big 10 doesn't need anybody so why do you think they would break their tradition?

• Agree

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

Big 12 is in good shape and will continue to be because..... economics. The new models will only enhance the Big 12 because market size will not the be the largest influence of viewing. Actual viewers and quality inventory will matter more. Certainly, happy schools is central to any league's surviving but the Pac 12 is in dire straights right now fiscally and will need some good fortune soon to stay afloat.

A shared TV partnership, a consortium is the future for both leagues. No conference is going away, that ship has sailed but somehow is still brought up..

Back to the topic, great news for the Big 12 and a great March performance. Aside from ISU being a player, it went as well as it could. The league proved itself well and our biggest hoops rival was destroyed on a big stage.

• Agree
Reactions: RedDog

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron