Big XII heading south?

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Maybe I should have been a little more clear. Notice which two arent on the list:sad::sad::sad:

I am not say a south team has never played in the north after the fall has cooled down. It was very cold for the TT game for Wallace's run. I am simply stating that it is a rarity for the south to come up north after mid October. How about a mid to late November game, say Neb vs Tex or CU vs Tech. When Mac played UT @ UT his last time it was 32 degrees in Ames on Thursday and 97 degrees in Austin on Saturday afternoon. I was in the stands and couldnt stay hydrated after that change. 21 to 21 at half. After half, UT beat the snot out of us. Tell me the a 60 degree temp change doesnt factor into conditioning. And that game was in early Oct.
Tech isn't on the list. I don't think Tech gets a lot of favorable treatment from the Big 12. The other is Texas. Perhaps they do get favorable treatment.

BTW...
Texas @ Kansas 11/15/08
Texas @ Kansas State 11/11/06
Texas @ Kansas 11/13/04
Texas @ Nebraska 11/02/02
Texas @ Kansas 11/11/00
Texas @ Kansas 11/16/96

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Nobody wants to play in Mos Eisley.

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany in all the galaxy.

obi-wan_kenobi.jpg

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Tech isn't on the list. I don't think Tech gets a lot of favorable treatment from the Big 12. The other is Texas. Perhaps they do get favorable treatment.

BTW...
Texas @ Kansas 11/15/08
Texas @ Kansas 11/13/04
Texas @ Kansas 11/11/00
Texas @ Kansas 11/16/96

Ah Lawrence Kansas, where the average temp in November is a blustery 55 degrees.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

BTW...
Texas @ Kansas 11/15/08
Texas @ Kansas 11/13/04
Texas @ Kansas 11/11/00
Texas @ Kansas 11/16/96

It would be nice if Texas actually came to Ames in November. Any Texas school, for that matter. :skeptical:

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Ah Kansas, where the average temp in November is a blustery 55 degrees.
Fair enough (Ames is a blustery 45 degrees in November). I just don't see this big conspiracy though. Who should teams in the South be playing as the regular season winds down? To me, it seems like it should be teams in the South. The teams they are competing against for the South title. Same goes for the teams in the North.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Fair enough (Ames is a blustery 45 degrees in November). I just don't see this big conspiracy though. Who should teams in the South be playing as the regular season winds down? To me, it seems like it should be teams in the South. The teams they are competing against for the South title. Same goes for the teams in the North.

That would make sense, except the conference (division) crowns are a cummulative conference record and not just the division foes (tie-breaks are obviously head-to-head). I personally don't see what the difference is in such a case. But I understand why others would. There is the possibility that the head to head at the end could be the determining game. (Why play the Red River so early in such a case, then?)

I think we could search further and find far more cases where north teams venture south to fill holes in the Nov schedules of the those teams, but not many return trips.

I don't know if it's a "conspiracy". It has a bit of an odor, however. (and I actually kinda like UT)

BTW - my data suggests Ames is a frigid 46 in Nov.... :wink:

Last edited:

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
That would make sense, except the conference (division) crowns are a cummulative conference record and not just the division foes (tie-breaks are obviously head-to-head). I personally don't see what the difference is in such a case. But I understand why others would. There is the possibility that the head to head at the end could be the determining game. (Why play the Red River so early in such a case, then?)

I think we could search further and find far more cases where north teams venture south to fill holes in the Nov schedules of the those teams, but not many return trips.

I don't know if it's a "conspiracy". It has a bit of an odor, however. (and I actually kinda like UT)

BTW - my data suggests Ames is a frigid 46 in Nov.... :wink:
Red River is tradition during Texas State Fair. Surely you don't want them to move the Texas State Fair!:wink:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Ah Lawrence Kansas, where the average temp in November is a blustery 55 degrees.

Yea, I'm not impressed with the south schools playing in Kansas in November. Have them make regular trips to Ames, Lincoln or Boulder late in the season.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Yea, I'm not impressed with the south schools playing in Kansas in November. Have them make regular trips to Ames, Lincoln or Boulder late in the season.
I love how it went from "south doesn't play in the north in November" to "south doesn't play north enough in November".

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I love how it went from "south doesn't play in the north in November" to "south doesn't play north enough in November".

I think that was the contention all along...that the South schools are not forced to play in cold climates, the Big 12 CG just being another example. The convention of "North" schools was used for convenience.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I think that was the contention all along...that the South schools are not forced to play in cold climates, the Big 12 CG just being another example. The convention of "North" schools was used for convenience.
I meant far enough north, not enough times. Not sure if that changes what you replied or not. Sorry if it was confusing.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't think the contention changed at all. And I think most refer to "south", but mean Texas schools (perhaps that's the affinitiy to OU and OSU being former Big 8 schools).

But I'm sorry, seems like the North schools get to regularly travel down to Texas in Sept and early Oct and play in that oppressive heat. Yet the 4 Texas schools have traveled north perhaps a total of half a dozen times over the 10+ years of Big XII paly and had to content with "our" conditions. And barely had to deal with it at all - considing the dramatic change that could happen between Nov 1 and Nov 22

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron