Big XII defenses look small

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Anybody else think the Big XII's focus on getting faster to stop the spread has left them undersized? There have been some huge rushing numbers put up against Big XII teams this bowl season. I think the Big XII is ripe for the picking for teams with a power rushing attack.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I would agree to an extent. The Big 10 can also be exposed by speed to the same extent.

The Big 10 has no speed myth is just that, a myth. There are teams like Alabama that just have elite speed everywhere that make everyone look slow.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The Big 10 has no speed myth is just that, a myth. There are teams like Alabama that just have elite speed everywhere that make everyone look slow.

Just saying the Big 10 has less speed overall than the Big 12. The Big 10 has more size overall than the Big 12, though. You can't have both as a conference. Super teams like Alabama, Florida, Texas can, but not a conference as a whole. It is just the style of play.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

watched SC last night they have speed on the Dline that was scary.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
and look at the average points against for completed bowl games....

Big12: 24
Big10:36

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just saying the Big 10 has less speed overall than the Big 12. The Big 10 has more size overall than the Big 12, though. You can't have both as a conference. Super teams like Alabama, Florida, Texas can, but not a conference as a whole. It is just the style of play.

OU and OSU have size and speed. The elite teams in any conference have both.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Anybody else think the Big XII's focus on getting faster to stop the spread has left them undersized? There have been some huge rushing numbers put up against Big XII teams this bowl season. I think the Big XII is ripe for the picking for teams with a power rushing attack.

Agree that the conference would have a hell of a time stopping a power running game. So few teams do it anymore though. Wish we went more that way, I think we could recruit to fit that style better, but if you do that you have to have a good defense as well. Harder to outscore a team like OSU.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Exactly what I'm saying. Teams can have both but conferences can't.

I think I see what you mean. Look at Michigan - when RR came in, he wanted lighter and quicker players. His weight coach even made the lineman lose their big stomachs and get faster. Now they've just been overpowered the last three years in the Big Ten.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think I see what you mean. Look at Michigan - when RR came in, he wanted lighter and quicker players. His weight coach even made the lineman lose their big stomachs and get faster. Now they've just been overpowered the last three years in the Big Ten.

Great example. My point was just that the lower talent schools are usually going to be going for either a speed/spread or a power/run offense. Normally a conference isn't deep enough to have a majority of the teams have both as an option. Think TTech, Kansas when they were successful, Illinois, ect.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
and look at the average points against for completed bowl games....

Big12: 24
Big10:36

The Big 12 has played ZERO ranked teams, and has had four matchups where they had a ranked team against an unranked team (they're 2-2). OU vs. UCONN? Give me a break. Even though Arizona wasn't ranked, I was still impressed with OSU's big win (I've been impressed with them all year). But Nebraska goes down (still a Big 12 team, folks) to an average (at best) Washington team that they curb-stomped in September. And the Big 12 is 1-2 against the Big Ten this bowl season.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten has played four games against ranked teams (with one more to go). They're 1-3 in those games, but two of those games were where the Big Ten team was unranked (1-1). Two of those games were against ranked SEC teams (Big Ten was also the dog in all of their NYD games, I believe).

The Big 12 has one more game to go, against a ranked SEC team (LSU). Personally, I don't think A&M beats LSU. A loss puts the conference at 3-5. The Big Ten, with a win against Arkansas (hardly a given, but that looks to be a great game), would also finish 3-5. Same record with a tougher slate? The Big 12 doesn't have room to talk in that situation.