Big XII ADs Split on Schedule - Presidents Voting on Monday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The only advantage of canceling non-con games is that maybe it forces anti-maskers who love football to realize what their ignorance is costing them. Once they personally start losing stuff, they'll magically come around.

Won't hurt me one bit. My wearing a mask or not has absolutely zero effects. Masks and quarantines are for sick people.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Looks like the AD's chickened out and voted for the 9+1 schedule. I thought they might find some cajohnes but I guess not. Oh well, their loss.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I assume we play UNLV with South Dakota andaand Ball State as backup options due to financial and future scheduling considerations

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wouldn't we save like 500k or more by not playing SD and keeping UNLV?

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
The conference games only thing is definitely because then the Big 12 can stipulate how much testing each team is required to do and when it is. Really it is just a basic CYA thing for the conferences.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A lot of people say it’s because the conference can better dictate the controls and enforce various variables. I personally think it’s because they can change the schedule on a weekly basis if needed (look at MLB’s daily changes as example) and not worry about external schedules. I’m sure there is also some way where they can limit some liabilities.

That may be the case. At that point though i really dont see the benefit of going 9+1 instead of just having all 12. Especially if theyre not moving up the conference schedule to fill that time

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
A reasonable person could make the argument that under Matt Campbell's leadership and supervision, the football team may actually be in a safer place than the general student population. Don't underestimate the influence of the team captains and the upperclassmen either. This group of men is more discilplined than your average frat house and they want to play football.

This is what I said in another thread. In general, they can control the environment better than the general student population. Eating meals where you can control how many eat at one time might make a big difference. I assume that they are also making sure that guys that are rooming together are from different position groups.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I still predict that we play Iowa after the season in an exhibition game on some type of PPV. Probably in the UNI dome due to weather. There is just so much money out there for that game.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
9+1 is an exercise in group think. It has no logical basis in safety.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Conference games are a non-negotiable because of TV agreements. That is why ACC & SEC are bumping up from 8 conference games.

UNLV would be the most attractive game to keep, but they may not want the road trip. West Coast football could get crazy with everything going on with not having on campus learning at a lot of schools.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Are we going to do this all the way down to like a 3 game schedule before they cancel and start putting all available resources in to a spring season?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This is what I said in another thread. In general, they can control the environment better than the general student population. Eating meals where you can control how many eat at one time might make a big difference. I assume that they are also making sure that guys that are rooming together are from different position groups.
So would they not be attending classes?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Won't hurt me one bit. My wearing a mask or not has absolutely zero effects. Masks and quarantines are for sick people.
giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I bet they keep UNLV because we are going to want the return game next year so as long as we play this the contract remains.
A buddy of mine is just coming back from a soft opening of the Raiders' new stadium. At least they would have a nice new clean stadium to kick off the season in.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
So would they not be attending classes?

I am assuming that classes will have some social distancing requirements, and most likely masks. As someone else said, these guys want to play, so they will probably use more precautions that the general population.

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
Could Iowa State just play the two remaining non-con's that we have scheduled and just not have them count. It would still make money. Probably the Big XII won't allow that though.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Yep, exhibit A on why we won’t be having much football this season; self inflicted by American arrogance. All of this talk of who we’re going to play is just window dressing until everybody realizes we aren’t going to have 12 games, or 10 games , or possibly any games to worry about.