Big XII ADs Split on Schedule - Presidents Voting on Monday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Disagree. If you stick to conference games you’ve got a pool of 10 teams interacting with each other. If you play non-con, you’re inviting another 30 teams to interact with across the league right at the beginning of the season.
Ah, so JUST 800 players and the tens of thousands of students, coaches, teachers and members of the public that interact with those players every week.

You're right, not much risk involved there....

The only reason to play is money. It's a terrible idea and will result in more getting sick. But 'Murica.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't disagree, but half of the league of from TX and FL, two hard hit areas.

The comingling has already happened.

On a related note, has the infection rate gone down since a few weeks ago when it was really bad?
Depends on what channel.you watch.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
If I had to guess...

12 games:
- Iowa State
- KState
- Oklahoma State
- Baylor
- West Virginia

10 games:
- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Texas Tech
- TCU

No games:
- Kansas

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
You might be right, but then they should just call it what it is.... putting $$$ ahead of kids’ health and safety.

Because JP gets really ticked off if you say that’s what they’re doing..... even if it’s exactly what they are doing.

A reasonable person could make the argument that under Matt Campbell's leadership and supervision, the football team may actually be in a safer place than the general student population. Don't underestimate the influence of the team captains and the upperclassmen either. This group of men is more discilplined than your average frat house and they want to play football.

Last edited:

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
A reasonable person could make the argument that under Matt Campbell's leadership and supervision, the football team may actually be in a safer place than the general student population. Don't underestimate the influence of the team captains and the upperclassmen either. This group of men is more discilplined than your average frat house and they want to play football.

I remember having football players in a couple classes. Discipline is not the word that comes to mind off the football field.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Playing football in the midst of a pandemic is not safe.... no matter who you are playing for. Is it less safe than a normal student going to bars? Hard to say, but my guess is that most football players will be doing both.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
A football player from the Rhoads years wrote one of my favorite essays. I quote "I don't know. I didn't study this crap."

I got the feeling it was from the heart, so cool.

I would give him a B just for being honest.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

This begs the question, who gets the ax? I have to think Ball State is out since there was easy language in the contract to cancel that game. UNLV out due to the distance and we play South Dakota? That seems the most logical.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
This begs the question, who gets the ax? I have to think Ball State is out since there was easy language in the contract to cancel that game. UNLV out due to the distance and we play South Dakota? That seems the most logical.

I bet they keep UNLV because we are going to want the return game next year so as long as we play this the contract remains.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I bet they keep UNLV because we are going to want the return game next year so as long as we play this the contract remains.

With the way 2020 is going (it feels like we’re about to hit level 8 of Jamanji), not sure the calendar will ever make it to 2021;)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I still don't understand the idea that conference games are any safer than non conference?

Right now it would be 10x safer playing SD than any school from Texas.... that's for sure.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I still don't understand the idea that conference games are any safer than non conference?

Right now it would be 10x safer playing SD than any school from Texas.... that's for sure.

A lot of people say it’s because the conference can better dictate the controls and enforce various variables. I personally think it’s because they can change the schedule on a weekly basis if needed (look at MLB’s daily changes as example) and not worry about external schedules. I’m sure there is also some way where they can limit some liabilities.