Big XII ADs Split on Schedule - Presidents Voting on Monday

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
They will move to 10 games first, and since this pandemic is not going to get any better in the US until we take it seriously, they will cancel the season next. I was kind of hoping they would try the season without fans instead.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Seems like we're wasting time discussing this. All effort should be placed on logistics of a conference schedule. If everyone else is playing conf only, and MLB is having this much trouble, they seem to have 3 choices to me:

1) Replicate the NBA model. Close to impossible in my opinion with "amateur student" athletes. But maybe theres something.

2) Power through. People will get sick. Deal with it. Again, with the MLB cancelling games as players/support staff get sick, it doesn't seem like this is going to be an accepted strategy for "amateur" players.

3) Cancel

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They will move to 10 games first, and since this pandemic is not going to get any better in the US until we take it seriously, they will cancel the season next. I was kind of hoping they would try the season without fans instead.

It’s not a wise move to be on the island in this situation. The reward would be high if the other conferences cancelled and Big 12 went ahead and somehow made it through relatively unscathed. But play and have something go wrong, forever ruined.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Seems like we're wasting time discussing this. All effort should be placed on logistics of a conference schedule. If everyone else is playing conf only, and MLB is having this much trouble, they seem to have 3 choices to me:

1) Replicate the NBA model. Close to impossible in my opinion with "amateur student" athletes. But maybe theres something.

2) Power through. People will get sick. Deal with it. Again, with the MLB cancelling games as players/support staff get sick, it doesn't seem like this is going to be an accepted strategy for "amateur" players.

3) Cancel

the problem with powering through is that if one person has it, there’s likely dozens.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
the problem with powering through is that if one person has it, there’s likely dozens.

I understand that. Not saying it’s ideal. It’s just one of their options if they want.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

10 games no fans. Start week zero and space the games out as much as possible IMO.

Reactions: CTTB78

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I understand that. Not saying it’s ideal. It’s just one of their options if they want.

but I don’t think it’s a realistic option.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
If there is a 9+1 schedule, who makes the cut for the OOC game?

- South Dakota Sept 5
- Ball State Sept 12
- UNLV Sept 19

I respect the athletic relationships we've developed with the two South Dakota schools and the home and home series with UNLV sure makes for a nice road trip. Unless it's absolutely necessary to play an FBS team for sos, it may be best to keep the earliest game with South Dakota on the 5th. The whole season could be cancelled by Sept 19th anyways.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
There's absolutely no advantage in dropping two non-con games. Perhaps they save some money but that's got to be offset by potential lawsuits and loss of TV money. Especially if you just start at the end of September.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
There's absolutely no advantage in dropping two non-con games. Perhaps they save some money but that's got to be offset by potential lawsuits and loss of TV money. Especially if you just start at the end of September.
I agree. In my opinion, both Jamie and Dr. Wendy most likely back tweleve games. It doesn't seem logical that JP would have added Ball State to the schedule one week and then Pres Wintersteen votes against a 12 game schedule a short time later. Just a guess on my part, but it would not surprise me if the five remaining Big 8 schools may be leaning one way (12 games) and the four Texas teams and West Virginia may be leaning another (10 games). Texas is a mess with covid.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

No fans should have been the first move. Still think going full steam ahead at 50% attendance (with no reseating) is unwise.

Past that though, 10 games vs 12 doesnt make much difference imo. I dont buy the idea that conference-only is somehow any safer. Actually if you're going to play the games anyway,i think 12 may make more sense in a 'schedule as many as possible to maximize the number of games played after you inevitably have to cancel a few' sort of way. There will be disruption and the whole season may have an asterisk on it, but whatever.

Ultimately though i think very few games will get played.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No fans should have been the first move. Still think going full steam ahead at 50% attendance (with no reseating) is unwise.

Past that though, 10 games vs 12 doesnt make much difference imo. I dont buy the idea that conference-only is somehow any safer. Actually if you're going to play the games anyway,i think 12 may make more sense in a 'schedule as many as possible to maximize the number of games played after you inevitably have to cancel a few' sort of way. There will be disruption and the whole season may have an asterisk on it, but whatever.

Ultimately though i think very few games will get played.

Wait are they still thinking of having fans? Why are they learning nothing from the pro leagues doing things correctly?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not sure I see the advantage of cancelling non-conference games. I hear people say things about having confidence that all the Big 12 institutions will handle things according to the same high standards. However, I think there may be large discrepancies between institutions of the same conference. Frankly, I have little hope in Baylor handling anything according to high standards. And do we really think there is such a big drop-off in the way that non-Big 12 teams will handle testing? For instance, the University of Buffalo is a MAC school, but with an outstanding medical school.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Not sure I see the advantage of cancelling non-conference games. I hear people say things about having confidence that all the Big 12 institutions will handle things according to the same high standards. However, I think there may be large discrepancies between institutions of the same conference. Frankly, I have little hope in Baylor handling anything according to high standards. And do we really think there is such a big drop-off in the way that non-Big 12 teams will handle testing? For instance, the University of Buffalo is a MAC school, but with an outstanding medical school.

I cannot see Baylor or Mike Gundy having standards at all.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guarantee that Pollard is in the "play all 12" boat. But I also think that he's going to get outvoted. Either way, I see no reason why that South Dakota game isn't moved up to Week 0. Give yourselves another bye week to evaluate.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I guarantee that Pollard is in the "play all 12" boat. But I also think that he's going to get outvoted. Either way, I see no reason why that South Dakota game isn't moved up to Week 0. Give yourselves another bye week to evaluate.

I think the lesson from baseball is it is impossible to avoid Covid outbreaks within a team. What is critical is to avoid what happened to Florida Marlins.

I don't think a 12 game schedule is doable as it seems like off weeks are necessary.

IMO the key for Big12 is every team start same week and have same bye weeks. That way if ISU vs. XYZ game gets postponed because of outbreak, then both teams have same open date later in season.

The big question to me is does:
  • The conference try to start week 0 and grind through a 10 game schedule with a bye week around week 5 or 6.
  • Or do they play 4 games, bye week, play 3 games, bye week, play 3 games.
  • Or do they build in extra bye weeks. But if teams are healthy to play during the scheduled bye week, play the game because the virus might become more prevelent in November.
I would think building flexibility is key in scheduling. With baseball I think some teams have played 10 games and those impacted by Covid only 3.