madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well I think the obvious definition is not widespread community spread in many states. Certainly no reasonable person could consider it under control right now with 40,000 plus new cases found each day. Right?

There is no way you can play sports if you cancel the season when a team has a flare up. I think you gotta soldier on like baseball unless it gets really bad. And I say that if a team has a big outbreak and has to miss a game or games, they should forfeit the game and the season carries on. Have to view this as a unique season and understand that might happen and it won’t be fair to everyone. Obviously this would need oversight to ensure teams dont cheat.

Baseball was able to soldier on because they could plug in new players on the team at a moments' notice.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I just can't get over how we're making elementary kids do online school while allowing high schoolers to practice & play.

But letting college kids live on top of each other in dormitories while restricting college players from earning a chance at their preferred profession.

Maybe i'm just difficult to please, but this seems backwards to me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Read thru approx hundreds of posts from you and your cohorts and not once did I see options to take to try and see if games could be played. If you constantly post on one side of an issue I have defined that as rooting. What would you call it?

Living in reality.

I also will remain consistent on my assertion that the sky is blue, and that people like you are why we won't have college sports until next year.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I just can't get over how we're making elementary kids do online school while allowing high schoolers to practice & play.

But letting college kids live on top of each other in dormitories while restricting college players from earning a chance at their preferred profession.

Maybe i'm just difficult to please, but this seems backwards to me.

No, you are spot on. Not only are they packed like sardines.....how about them community bathrooms on each floor in some of these dorms huh!? And the cafeteria? Good stuff! We all know that absolutely NO germs EVER get passed along in those areas right? But hey..........let's cancel football to save lives.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
No, you are spot on. Not only are they packed like sardines.....how about them community bathrooms on each floor in some of these dorms huh!? And the cafeteria? Good stuff! We all know that absolutely NO germs EVER get passed along in those areas right? But hey..........let's cancel football to save lives.

I agree. All school at all levels should be online.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
i'd actually like to hear a well-thought-out argument about how being on the football team is less risky from a COVID standpoint than being a regular student living in a dorm in a double (with the changes that have already been made to dining and occupancy). please make sure to include all of the necessary buzzwords, like "highly structured environment" and whatnot. if you could also justify the costs (and lab burden) of testing the entire football program every week, that would be a bonus, keeping in mind that even UIHC doesn't test employees for COVID unless they present enough symptoms.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

kcbob79clone

Living in reality.

I also will remain consistent on my assertion that the sky is blue, and that people like you are why we won't have college sports until next year.

You can live in your reality where you think you are smarter than everyone else.

You don't know nothing about me so how dare you say what you say. I wear my mask whenever I am out and practicing social distancing for a long time.

So how am I personally responsible unless I have more of a presence on Twitter than Gunnerclone thinks I do.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Completely agree. NBA is doing fine right now. A shortened season will work well in the fall. Just do no fans and we are golden.

The NBA is doing fine in a bubble. How are you going to have a college football season in a bubble? Baseball is trying to do the “everything is normal with no fans” thing and it hasn’t exactly been 100% rosy so far.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
i'd actually like to hear a well-thought-out argument about how being on the football team is less risky from a COVID standpoint than being a regular student living in a dorm in a double (with the changes that have already been made to dining and occupancy). please make sure to include all of the necessary buzzwords, like "highly structured environment" and whatnot. if you could also justify the costs (and lab burden) of testing the entire football program every week, that would be a bonus, keeping in mind that even UIHC doesn't test employees for COVID unless they present enough symptoms.

Dude seriously. We’ve been over this. I’m sorry the conferences care about getting sued in to oblivion so they cancelled the season. We all agree on that. Take it up with them.

• Haha
Reactions: cdface

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
it's almost like...the college football industrial complex had become an unsustainable bubble waiting for a pinprick.

Not that i fully disagree, but to make that comment you would have to identify a time when it could have sustained this. Also calling this a pinprick is disingenuous.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know if Iowa State is still practicing? Did they have practice today?

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Not that i fully disagree, but to make that comment you would have to identify a time when it could have sustained this. Also calling this a pinprick is disingenuous.

Pre-BCS era. Also, let's call it a freight train instead of a pinprick, and we can call the bubble a domino. That's probably more accurate. The problem is the dominoes are too close together, and there are so many of them.