cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Funding this will be an issue, and there would need to be multiple changes to NCAA rules like scholarship limits, travel roster size, etc.

Even a one year change can have a ripple effect for years.

it's almost like...the college football industrial complex had become an unsustainable bubble waiting for a pinprick.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
So who makes the call on whether the Big 12 plays a season? I gotta imagine the 4 Texas schools vote YES + Iowa State YES. That's 5/10. OU and Okie Lite probably voting YES too.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: Cy$ and Clones1414

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What if.....somehow...the big 12 is the only conference running...and we win the title (even if you throw in a couple forfeits etc).....then we default win national title...hang the banner! LOL

AND, have numerous All-Americans, Heisman trophy, Doak Walker Award, etc...it'll be awesome.....
We won't be the only conference but I like your thought process.. Big 12, ACC, and the SEC will be the "Power 3".

Boy oh boy would it be bittersweet if ISU went 10-1 or 9-1 and lost out to the second best SEC / ACC team on making the playoffs lol.

• Haha
Reactions: CapnCy
L

LincolnWay187

remind me how much heavy breathing and one-on-one physical matchups there are in a classroom?

also, you should probably note that a sizeable percentage DO support going online-only to start the year, especially for younger students. it's almost like you haven't been paying attention...
How does what "people are supporting" pertain to the conversation at all? People are already moving into their dorms for the year...I would say you are the one not paying attention.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How many died from H1N1? How many people have died from pneumonia this year versus other previous years? Yes, we have seen slightly more deaths. Life happens but we've never, ever shut down before, and there have been a LOT worse diseases come and go.

Slightly? It's not even close to done with and we're still seeing 1,000 deaths/day from Covid.

And we HAVE shut down before for other things and the football season during the Spanish Flu hardly happened for a lot of teams.

Not even 20,000 died from H1N1.

Not 50,000 died from pneumonia in 2017.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Purely out of curiosity what makes you think they can play basketball in January when you can't play football in September? Indoor sport during the winter. You could argue a longer, more prolonged exposure to your opponent. I suppose the only thing you have going for you is the number of people you'd have to monitor.

I just think once you've put it out there you have too much liability to play, you aren't playing again until there is a marked difference in potential harm. And that's not going away by January.

If a basketball player were to get seriously sick the very first thing they'd point to is not being very far removed from canceling all football. You've basically acknowledged the risk is too high-- good luck coming back from that one from a liability perspective.

Ive been overly optimistic throughout this, but my hope for basketball is that a way way smaller roster coupled with no or few fans at games could be doable.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So who makes the call on whether the Big 12 plays a season? I gotta imagine the 4 Texas schools vote YES + Iowa State YES. That's 5/10. OU and Okie Lite probably voting YES too.
Baylor came out and said they wants more time to make a decision (highly valid reason). Don't know where the other school's stand 100% but we know ISU is a yes, WVU coach has been quoted on wanting to play, OSU and OU are wanting to play, and then you have the 3 other TX schools who I'd say will want to play. At the minimum I think a vote would be 7-3 in favor of playing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No one should be playing.
Well the ACC's Chief Medical Expert who happened to go to Duke (pretty good school I'd say), believes the season can be done safely..

I'm not saying he's right either. I'm saying there are obviously experts that are giving differing opinions on this issue no different than you could have differing opinions from doctors on other medical issues.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Or....we could have Congress just eliminate frivolous lawsuits all together. This ain't just a Covid issue. So much money is wasted in CYA because lawyers in this country have gotten out of control.

Apple just sued a company called PrePear because somehow these two logos look similar to someone. That's where we are as country.

View attachment 74212

Good luck with that. The President is the king of frivolous law suits and even once sued a late night comedian for making fun of his hair. That hasn’t changed since he became President. That’s where we are as a country.

kcbob79clone

Can all those that were rooting for #CFB to not be played please give us at least a single thread where we can read about the topic of the thread?

Those of us that feel that way understand that they are going to be lurking like a troll under the bridge for one of us to give them a crack to shoot thru.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I wish the Big12 would play just to say “**** you” to the other leagues. We could get 10x the eyeballs and be swimming in cash. We’d be the Neo-Auburn of college football world then. The Big12 needs to take advantage of this opportunity because it isn’t going to come along again. Haha

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
How many died from H1N1? How many people have died from pneumonia this year versus other previous years? Yes, we have seen slightly more deaths. Life happens but we've never, ever shut down before, and there have been a LOT worse diseases come and go.

At the height of the outbreak in New York, they were having 5 X more total deaths (all causes) than normal. 5 times. Cities in Italy, France and Spain were in the 3 to 5 times range during their outbreaks. Several South American cities have now been at that level or above.

Sadly, there is nothing slight about that.

I want a football season this fall too. But that’s no reason to come here and spread your factually incorrect BS. We can all argue it’s merits honestly. And there are good arguments to be made for and against.

Help Support Us

Become a patron