Big play Curvey and Deandre Jackson new BBQ

CloneB

Jun 7, 2014
How long of a wait has it been to get in/through the line?
I went for an early dinner ~5 PM and had 1 person in front of me. But have driven by a couple times where there are several waiting in line outside

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Uh-Oh. The old hickory park sidetrack begins.

I personally like ku'd the best for brisket as it's texas style moist and has good rub. I feel smokey d's is a little plain and dry but I like their other meats and mac and cheese. Plus it's just down the road.

There was a place in Ankeny not to long ago that had amazing brisket but they closed due to terrible customer service.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I had it last night and again for lunch. Liked the brisket better in day 2 believe it or not. Ribs very good. Max and cheese is a must. Pulled pork might have been my favorite thing. Kind of a long way from my house but could be a normal stop when going to WDM.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I believe the listed closing time is a loose suggestion, and it depends more on when they sell out. So get there early.

Fri-Sat: Noon-8
Sun: Noon-6

Also, Curvey opened a 2nd Coaches Kolaches location. The new one is in the Drake neighborhood (about a block and a half east of campus, on University). Morning hours there.

For a nice breakfast try his Kolaches. Last time I was there BC was making them at his original location. Talked to him about his BBQ place as they were in the final finishes of the place.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Can anyone compare it to Q39 or LC’s in KC? I’ll have to try it next time I’m in Des Moines

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Can anyone compare it to Q39 or LC’s in KC? I’ll have to try it next time I’m in Des Moines

Personally I like Texas style which is most the places in DSM, KC is all about the sauce which I don't enjoy. Get a good rub on there and let the meat shine. (now those places may be Texas style instead of KC style but I haven't heard of either).

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My personal favorite in the DSM area is Whatcha Smokin in Luther. I'll have to give this place a try.

I've always wanted to check out this place but figured it was where Luther College was, which is not close to the metro. After checking it out on a map I'll have to take the trip. Maybe this week.

Reactions: JP4CY

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Personally I like Texas style which is most the places in DSM, KC is all about the sauce which I don't enjoy. Get a good rub on there and let the meat shine. (now those places may be Texas style instead of KC style but I haven't heard of either).
They're both KC style, worth a check whenever you're in KC. I go back and forth between which is better. Mr. BURNS AT Q39 and burnt ends at LC's are top notch

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Central Iowa suddenly has some really good BBQ options with this place (haven't had it, but looks like good reviews on here), Whatcha Smokin', and Cornbread BBQ.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

With all due respect, Q39 and Oklahoma Joes are on another level of bbq. It’s not even fair to compare central Iowa bbq to those two. However I think Unrvld is the best bbq I’ve had in Des Moines

Last edited: