BIG OlE Contract Terms...$1 Million Signing Bonus

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Do you know the timeline of events. No. None of us do. None of us probably ever will. How do you know Cael didn't say "I'm applying for the Penn State offer." JP says "Ok." Cael doesn't say anything about getting the offer, walks into JP with his resignation, saying he's accepting the offer and there's nothing we can do to keep him here.

I appreciate you helping me to make my point.

There is only one way that Cael doesn't let Iowa State counter offer and that is b/c he doesn't want to work for JP anymore. The guy loves Iowa State to much to just leave w/o giving us a chance

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Right I am the one not paying attention here!

We have a guy who loves Iowa State. Wrestled here, is loyal to the program. We hired him at the age of 26 and paid him more than anyone else in the country.

He is now leaving Iowa State for a worse position. AND he never even let Iowa State counter offer!!!!! I repeat he never let Iowa State counter offer. I think it is crystal clear he no longer wanted to work with a certain man in the athletic department.

The guy is leaving his brother, his wife's home (she is an Iowan), etc. Did the money hurt? No. But he is leaving here b/c he got fed up w/ Jamie Pollard

I love Iowa State as much or more than most, but even I don't wear the kool aid glasses so much that I can't see what the problem is here
They gave him whatever he wanted, and he chose to take the easy route. There is no competition for recruits there, they have more money, I could go on and on. He did not want to compete directly with Brands in this state, because he was losing the battle. I'm sick and tired of you morons blaming Pollard for all the athletic programs' problems. You honestly think he drove Sanderson away? If you feel the needs to blame someone, blame Brands for creating a NC team before Cael did.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

There is only one way that Cael doesn't let Iowa State counter offer and that is b/c he doesn't want to work for JP anymore. The guy loves Iowa State to much to just leave w/o giving us a chance

maybe he knew there was no way in hell we could come anywhere close to what psu had to offer.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
They gave him whatever he wanted, and he chose to take the easy route. There is no competition for recruits there, they have more money, I could go on and on. He did not want to compete directly with Brands in this state, because he was losing the battle. I'm sick and tired of you morons blaming Pollard for all the athletic programs' problems. You honestly think he drove Sanderson away? If you feel the needs to blame someone, blame Brands for creating a NC team before Cael did.

agree. by saying all of them grow up wanting to wrestle for the nitany lions his a pc way of saying they don't grow up dreaming of being hawkeyes.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Cael's comments in the Rag make it seem like resources had more to do with it than anything else

“The resources there are unbelievable,†Sanderson said of the State College, Pa., campus. “There was a lot of weighing things. It was back and forth in my mind. I didn’t really have a wrong answer.

“I could stay here, where I love Iowa State and that is never going to change. This is the place that I wanted to win at. This is home. You can’t go wrong. It’s just the potential and the possibilities of Penn State. It’s the highest-regarded institution in sports, in the East and maybe in the country.

Talks many times about the opportunity to build Penn State up.

Why if he had such a problem with JP would he hold back here? It seems he still cares about the university a lot so I could understand reserving comments about Iowa State, but why wouldn't Cael say he's leaving due to a strained relationship with his boss if that were the case?

ISU wrestling: Sanderson 'sorry' to leave Ames | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

How do you know he loves Iowa State? Did he become a legend here as a wrestler? Yep. It's not like he was from Ames, his dad went to Iowa State, his mom went to Iowa State. The only connection he has outside of wrestling to the State of Iowa is his wife, and it's possible she doesn't like it here.

I still don't understand why your story is the only one right. You don't have a clue, none of us do, yet you think only your story is the right one. Not to mention the fact that you all criticized the hell outta Pollard's letter yesterday, and say it was BS, yet use a line from it as supporting evidence to your argument. Make up your mind, was the letter BS, or was it admissible as evidence.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Maybe Cael noticed that virtually the entire athletic dept. staff seemed to find the time and money to head out to Berkeley to cheer on Fennelly, but it's funny, didn't see even Pollard at too many wrestling meets...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

:biglaugh:

The guy went what 159-0? Won a gold medal in the Olympics, and you are saying that he wanted the easy way out! I don't think the guy has taken the easy way out his whole life. You don't get to be that good by doing that.

If there is no competition for recruits there, than why hasn't Penn St been that good?

And why are we not suppose to blame problems in our athletic department on our AD?!?! That is the oddest thing I have ever heard.

That would be like me saying, you can't blame the Lions 0-16 season on Rod Marinelli! Hahaha

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The guy went what 159-0? Won a gold medal in the Olympics, and you are saying that he wanted the easy way out! I don't think the guy has taken the easy way out his whole life. You don't get to be that good by doing that.

He stated that long-term success was more attainable at Penn State than here. Is that not taking the easy way out?

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Maybe Cael noticed that virtually the entire athletic dept. staff seemed to find the time and money to head out to Berkeley to cheer on Fennelly, but it's funny, didn't see even Pollard at too many wrestling meets...
The man went 159-0, and you think his feelings got hurt because Pollard didn't show up to enough meets? That's almost sad enough to be funny.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
:biglaugh:

If there is no competition for recruits there, than why hasn't Penn St been that good?

And why are we not suppose to blame problems in our athletic department on our AD?!?! That is the oddest thing I have ever heard.

That would be like me saying, you can't blame the Lions 0-16 season on Rod Marinelli! Hahaha
You can't, it was Millen's fault.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What's he going to say, " I didn't like Jamie!"

So now you get to put words that you don't know are true in his mouth. Gotcha. Doesn't matter what he says, you're going to try and read into it, when it's quite possible there is nothing to read into. He cited multiple reasons why Penn State is a good job, but you apparently just skipped over that little portion. How convenient.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
It seems he still cares about the university a lot so I could understand reserving comments about Iowa State, but why wouldn't Cael say he's leaving due to a strained relationship with his boss if that were the case?
Because that's not the diplomatic way to leave and Cael has a little bit more class than that? Because he would gain absolutely nothing by burning bridges? Because he cares about ISU and knows it would hurt the institution more if he called out the administration on his way out? Take your pick.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
What's he going to say, " I didn't like Jamie!"
If he is leaving, what the **** difference does it make? If he had a beef with Pollard, he would say it. He has absolutely no reason to hold back now. You think he didn't say anything to spare his feelings?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Because that's not the diplomatic way to leave and Cael has a little bit more class than that? Because he would gain absolutely nothing by burning bridges? Because he cares about ISU and knows it would hurt the institution more if he called out the administration on his way out? Take your pick.

Or next option, maybe there just wasn't a problem and he viewed Penn State as a better job. I can't blame him, but I'm not going to say it's totally cool because it's not.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The man went 159-0, and you think his feelings got hurt because Pollard didn't show up to enough meets? That's almost sad enough to be funny.

Jamie started treating wrestling duals like they were minor league - that stupid curtain, skeletal staff to reduce costs,etc....don't get me started.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Jamie started treating wrestling duals like they were minor league - that stupid curtain, skeletal staff to reduce costs,etc....don't get me started.

Curtain: Why wrestle in a completely empty looking Hilton when you can close off half and it looks full? Also, some of our wrestlers liked it because it was an area they could run and stuff before their matches.

Skeletal staff? Why would you have the same amount of staff for 5,000 at a wrestling meet as you would for 10,000 at a basketball game.

And for the record, Pollard was at at least 6 wrestling meets last season. I can't verify for all of them, but he was at every one I went to.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
After reading that, I take back what I said about Cael and JP.

From Cael's point of view, he would be irresponsible to his family for not taking that much money and setting his family up for life.

From JP's point of view, he would be irresponsible to the ISU AD if he tried to match that kind of money.

Reactions: keepngoal