Big Four Classic Press Release

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'd rather give up our homes games so long as drake and UNI are giving up the home games we play at their house. This works for me. I like WF over CF or even Drake's "gym". I'll take it. plus, beer is served.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Yes. Iowa State will play Iowa as usual; Drake and UNI will play each other in conference games as usual. Iowa State and Iowa will each only play one of Drake and UNI each year, and each year that game will be at Wells Fargo.

Where did you find that in CW's post? It only says that UNI and Drake will play ISU and Iowa at Wells Fargo in alternating years. It doesn't say anything about ISU or Iowa only playing them in alternating years. I am ok with this if it has ISU and Iowa playing the games that were formerly away games at Wells Fargo and continuing to play home games with UNI and Drake.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This really sucks for UNI. Easily they've been the best basketball team in the state over the last 5 years or more, and because they have been, they are getting screwed over by Iowa and ISU.

I don't care much for UNI, but this is going to be another big blow to their athletic department. Not sure how much longer they'll survive at this rate? Kinda sad, even though I don't like them.

Fact is, both Iowa and ISU are sick and tired of losing to them, so they are running away. Teams like Iowa and ISU should relish playing teams like UNI and Drake.... and they should crush them every time too. But UNI wasn't going to play that game, and they became better than both Iowa and ISU, and so now Iowa and ISU won't play them anymore at UNI.

Just goes to show you that money does indeed rule college athletics. Losing on the road to UNI and Drake are no longer worth the risk. It's fun being on this side of the money problem for once, but we as ISU fans should understand how frightening it can be when you are on the losing side of the money problem... we were almost sent to the Mountain West Conference or worse because of it. That is how UNI must be feeling I'm thinking?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
At first blush don't like it

I like the old set-up

First, I would much rather play UNI/Drake home&home. They are solid teams that ISU just can't show up and win.

Second, only about 4000 ISU season ticketholders will be able to attend in person if tickets are split evenly. Under the old system the game at ISU was in my season ticket and I had no problem getting a ticket at UNI or Drake.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
This really sucks for UNI. Easily they've been the best basketball team in the state over the last 5 years or more, and because they have been, they are getting screwed over by Iowa and ISU.

I don't care much for UNI, but this is going to be another big blow to their athletic department. Not sure how much longer they'll survive at this rate? Kinda sad, even though I don't like them.

Fact is, both Iowa and ISU are sick and tired of losing to them, so they are running away. Teams like Iowa and ISU should relish playing teams like UNI and Drake.... and they should crush them every time too. But UNI wasn't going to play that game, and they became better than both Iowa and ISU, and so now Iowa and ISU won't play them anymore at UNI.

Just goes to show you that money does indeed rule college athletics. Losing on the road to UNI and Drake are no longer worth the risk. It's fun being on this side of the money problem for once, but we as ISU fans should understand how frightening it can be when you are on the losing side of the money problem... we were almost sent to the Mountain West Conference or worse because of it. That is how UNI must be feeling I'm thinking?

1) How is this that big a blow to the athletic department? It's one game...and they still get part of the admissions. pretty trivial.

2) How did you come to this conclusion based on this? It's money-driven..not "We're scared of them" crap.

3) This has nothing to do with the Big Four Classic at all.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Some of UNI's recent wins over ISU and Iowa should have a huge asterisk.

Did you actually watch them "beat" Iowa this year? Iowa played the better game yet the score wasn't even close in a UNI "win". Same has happened to ISU in CF before, although obviously this year they were just a better team early in the season before ISU gelled.

They took advantage while they could, but it was getting stupid to sign up for that rape job there. Fran probably was WTF and rightfully so.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Did you actually watch them "beat" Iowa this year? Iowa played the better game yet the score wasn't even close in a UNI "win". Same has happened to ISU in CF before, although obviously this year they were just a better team early in the season before ISU gelled.

They took advantage while they could, but it was getting stupid to sign up for that rape job there. Fran probably was WTF and rightfully so.

Stop, just stop...Iowa ended up losing by 20, had a 10 point lead even in the early part of the game, but yet they played the better game?

:skeptical:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Stop, just stop...Iowa ended up losing by 20, had a 10 point lead even in the early part of the game, but yet they played the better game?

:skeptical:

yep, did you watch it? I'm not saying they were light years better, but UNI beats just about any team in college basketball with the calls they got that day. I can't remember the last time I thought the officiating decided an ISU/Iowa basketball game in my life, probably never. The in state games in Cedar Falls seem to have poor officiating in UNI's favor more often than not.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Ok, maybe it's just me but, what's so hard to understand? We play Iowa every year still the same, we now just rotate UNI and Drake in Des Moines. One school is named host...yadda yadda yadda. We gain a free slot on our schedule now.

Ok I'm good now.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Ok, maybe it's just me but, what's so hard to understand? We play Iowa every year still the same, we now just rotate UNI and Drake in Des Moines. One school is named host...yadda yadda yadda. We gain a free slot on our schedule now.

Ok I'm good now.

I think it's OK. Centralizing it could be good in the long-term if each school becomes consistently competitive.

I wouldn't have a problem making it a 2-day, and playing both teams.

As it is, from ISU's perspective, this clears an additional non-conference game @Hilton each season.

If we fill that extra slot w/ a SWAC-type opponent ... I'd rather take my chances with a home-and-home vs. in-state Valley teams.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

The highlighted is, what's the word I'm looking for here, oh yeah, crazy.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This was what ISU and Iowa needed to do. They shouldn't be going to UNI or Drake to play a game. Now they can try and schedule a game or two with another BCS level school.

Im4State

Oct 16, 2009
Urbandale
This thing is ********. So now we don't play Iowa and drake if we play uni? Who's the winner of the state then?