Big East or Big XII

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Assuming OU (and OSU) is gone (because it sounds like they are), I think a Big East collapse provide Texas an opportunity to maintain a B12 conference and (most importantly to them) the LHN and financial power. So I see the B12 staying, but getting restructured. I still see North/South divisions so that Texas can make sure to structure their schedule so that they never have to play up north after Oct. 15.

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
South Florida

Louisville

North
ISU
KU

KSU
Cincy
UConn
Rutgers
Missouri (if they stick around)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Actually you are thinking small...

The 9 remaining Big 12...plus the 6 remaining current Big East football schools and toss in a BYU for the mormon cult appeal...Not bad and we get to 16 before anybody else...

The conference then has anchors in New Jersey, Ohio and Florida for recruiting...

I'm not exactly sure who the teams will be, but I could see the Big 12 trying to be the first 16-team conference. It seems to be going in that direction. And it moves way too close to a national playoff system rather than the current bowls which I love. And isn't broadcast TV about ready to yield to Internet delivery anyway. I wonder if the networks aren't making huge long-term contracts knowing that they won't have to fulfill them but benefit for a few years before all contracts switch to online delivery. Conference structure and team revenue aren't the only things that are changing.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
B1G sat at 11 while everyone else had 12. No reason to think they won't sit at 12 with everyone else at 14 until they feel it's worth it for them financially to expand.

Yes, finally, someone gets it. There is no rule that everyone has to go to 16. Just because someone else is doing it does not mean they have to..

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes, finally, someone gets it. There is no rule that everyone has to go to 16. Just because someone else is doing it does not mean they have to..

I hope you are correct. And I would love to see some tradition having weight these days. However, the chase for money and the push for a national championship seems to be connected with TV broadcast interests that is in control.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Problem is if they don't do it now and others do, guess what piecemeal conference will get raided in the future if/when the B10 does decide to expand again??

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Problem is if they don't do it now and others do, guess what piecemeal conference will get raided in the future if/when the B10 does decide to expand again??

Exactly. Whether it's a rebuilt B12, or the Big East with a few of us added in, that is the only conference left that will have teams that get raided.

Whether its now or 4 years from now, I'm not confident that the Big 10 will take us, and that is the only super-conference that would even think about it.

Eventually it may get to a point where we are in the MWC or the Big East (but the Big East at that point will resemble the current C-USA).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron