Big East or Big XII

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
screw em both. create our own conference with whoever the **** we want to. i'm starting to think that there will be enough teams "left behind" from the BE and the B12 to make it's own conference if they were to add a few top teams out of the MWC.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This all hinges on being able to hold the core of the Big 12 together to collect exit fees from everybody else. If I'm not mistaken, we'd need five. Us, K-State, and Baylor are pretty much givens. We need at least two out of KU, Mizzou, Tech, and Texas to stick around... assuming A&M to SEC and OU/OSU to Pac are done deals.

Then we bring in whoever we want with that money as a nice bonus.

We can use our share of it to pay off our capital projects debt (that people have been railing on us for having) with the anticipation of a future dip in TV revenue.

At the end of the day, the amount of BCS conferences will likely shrink from 6 to 5... but it looks like the casualty will be the Big East, now.

The only issue *might* be paying our coaches what they deserve at that point (with lower TV money)... especially if Rhoads and Hoiberg keep winning. It's great that they're both local guys, though - they have reasons for being here.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This all hinges on being able to hold the core of the Big 12 together to collect exit fees from everybody else. If I'm not mistaken, we'd need five. Us, K-State, and Baylor are pretty much givens. We need at least two out of KU, Mizzou, Tech, and Texas to stick around... assuming A&M to SEC and OU/OSU to Pac are done deals.

Then we bring in whoever we want with that money as a nice bonus.

We can use our share of it to pay off our capital projects debt (that people have been railing on us for having) with the anticipation of a future dip in TV revenue.

At the end of the day, the amount of BCS conferences will likely shrink from 6 to 5... but it looks like the casualty will be the Big East, now.

The only issue *might* be paying our coaches what they deserve at that point (with lower TV money)... especially if Rhoads and Hoiberg keep winning. It's great that they're both local guys, though - they have reasons for being here.

Good way to approach it, I think. Makes as much sense as anything I've heard.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Ok, time for logic 101. Athletic conferences should have some form of regional geography to them as well as similar Athletic and Academic features. Because of this, here is what makes sense if they are all going to 16.

B1G - Adds ISU, KU, MU, ND - ISU fits in the B1G mainly because of....wait for it..... WRESTLING. Now that NU is gone, ISU needs a solid Wrestling conference and the B1G is it. All of these schools get in on academic merit and MU, ISU, KU, ND drastically improves basketball. MU, ISU add to the B1G wrestling tradition. If you talk about legendary wrestling programs, Iowa is King, but ISU has to be #2. Dan Gable and Cale Sanderson both wrestled here. I know it's a non revenue sport, no one cares, blah blah blah... bull ****! Remember it's about schools with similar athletic and academic goals. I think this makes the most sense. AAU schools with lots of regional rivalries. We get NU game back, no non conf game with U of I. MO/ISU telephone trophy, our stadium got it's name because MN killed a man on our team... seriously? That in itself is worth us coming back and kicking their *** every year! While they may not all be football powers, they add something. ND/U of M, ND/MSU become conf games. This just makes sense.

Pac 12 - I hate this, but BYU, OU, OSU, Boise State to Pac 16 Geographically it makes no sense for OU and OSU but it does for BYU and Boise and both deserve to be in a real conference. OU and OSU get taken because OU is a national football program and the Pac 12 has to go a long way East to find a real program that adds anything to what they have. OU and OSU will then suck because the SEC will own TX going forward due to the SEC stealing TX (see below)

ACC - Picks up Pitt, Syr, WV, Rutgers to get to 16

SEC - Picks up UT, TT, aTm, TCU (just because aTm and UT deserve each other and the TX legislature is going to step in eventually and the SEC will dominate football by owning the state of TX)

In this scenario here is who is left out... KSU - mainly because of academics, Baylor because they have 12 fans, Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, South Florida - The Big East can exist primarily as a basketball conference and it will be a lesser football conf with no AQ status that includes Cincy, Louisville, UConn, SF, Baylor, KSU, and a couple of others...

But what makes the most sense... is for the Big XII to pull their collective heads out of their ***** right now and save the conference. We stay together, who cares what the rest of them do because college football needs the Big XII teams. Half of our teams are in the top 25 and we may have 6 or 7 next week!

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Ok, time for logic 101. Athletic conferences should have some form of regional geography to them as well as similar Athletic and Academic features. Because of this, here is what makes sense if they are all going to 16.

B1G - Adds ISU, KU, MU, ND - ISU fits in the B1G mainly because of....wait for it..... WRESTLING. Now that NU is gone, ISU needs a solid Wrestling conference and the B1G is it. All of these schools get in on academic merit and MU, ISU, KU, ND drastically improves basketball. MU, ISU add to the B1G wrestling tradition. If you talk about legendary wrestling programs, Iowa is King, but ISU has to be #2. Dan Gable and Cale Sanderson both wrestled here. I know it's a non revenue sport, no one cares, blah blah blah... bull ****! Remember it's about schools with similar athletic and academic goals. I think this makes the most sense. AAU schools with lots of regional rivalries. We get NU game back, no non conf game with U of I. MO/ISU telephone trophy, our stadium got it's name because MN killed a man on our team... seriously? That in itself is worth us coming back and kicking their *** every year! While they may not all be football powers, they add something. ND/U of M, ND/MSU become conf games. This just makes sense.

Pac 12 - I hate this, but BYU, OU, OSU, Boise State to Pac 16 Geographically it makes no sense for OU and OSU but it does for BYU and Boise and both deserve to be in a real conference. OU and OSU get taken because OU is a national football program and the Pac 12 has to go a long way East to find a real program that adds anything to what they have. OU and OSU will then suck because the SEC will own TX going forward due to the SEC stealing TX (see below)

SEC - Picks up UT, TT, aTm, TCU (just because aTm and UT deserve each other and the TX legislature is going to step in eventually and the SEC will dominate football by owning the state of TX)

In this scenario here is who is left out... KSU - mainly because of academics, Baylor because they have 12 fans, Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, South Florida - The Big East can exist primarily as a basketball conference and it will be a lesser football conf with no AQ status that includes Cincy, Louisville, UConn, SF, Baylor, KSU, and a couple of others...

But what makes the most sense... is for the Big XII to pull their collective heads out of their ***** right now and save the conference. We stay together, who cares what the rest of them do because college football needs the Big XII teams. Half of our teams are in the top 25 and we may have 6 or 7 next week!

Yup, your point lost any credibility at wrestling. I'd cut the program today if we were assured a BCS home, and wrestling doesn't matter at all to anyone in charge.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I've had a merger in the back of my mind for a while, even before the recent ACC talk. I also thought of hooking up with BYU and New Mexico, because M-West has dwindling numbers, too.

I have no idea who's going where at this point. If KU/KSU didn't head to Pac-10 (or somehow Missouri doesn't go SEC) then there's still merger potential even w/out UT, TT, OU, OSU, Pitt & Syracuse (and probably WVa) ... although having at least one of that Big-12 pairing would help from numbers standpoint.

Could get a core unit just out of this bunch:

ISU
KU/KSU/Missouri
Baylor
TCU
Louisville
Cincy
UConn
Rutgers
South Florida (I could see USF going ACC'ing)
Also the possibility of picking Houston from C-USA if UT/Tech go west.

I left the BE basketball-only schools off for now -- too hard to figure out how that might work.

Since no one knows what's going to happen, this might not work at all -- at least worth thinking about.
We definitely want Rutgers because they are AAU.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
If we aren't with Texas or OU, be prepared to get left behind in the money race. We will look like UNI money compared to the "superconferences."

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

This post sounds like an old man not an old wise man.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An interesting thought I had following news of Pitt & Syracuse applying for ACC.

It seems to suggest one of two things:

1. B1G does not intend to expand (at least not to 16)

2. B1G will expand, but not in the manner commonly speculated.

3. B1G is considering expansion, but Pitt/'Cuse aren't getting a vibe of inclusion (or are keeping options open)

I would guess if B1G wanted to go supernova (er, superconference), since it needs 4 more schools, Pitt would be one of those (it makes sense from a regional balance w/ Penn State).

Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College were mentioned in some of the 1.5 million blogs & stories since realignment talk began last year.

So if Pitt & 'Cuse are out — assuming Notre Dame still would never join/receive invite ... who else remains that might fit the Big Ten blueprint? Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas ... isn't that about it?

Note: I have no idea if Syracuse fits B1G profile ... I assume Pitt does ... i'm sure others know more about this than I do (but didn't Nebraska partly break the mold anyway?)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An interesting thought I had following news of Pitt & Syracuse applying for ACC.

It seems to suggest one of two things:

1. B1G does not intend to expand (at least not to 16)

2. B1G will expand, but not in the manner commonly speculated.

3. B1G is considering expansion, but Pitt/'Cuse aren't getting a vibe of inclusion (or are keeping options open)

I would guess if B1G wanted to go supernova (er, superconference), since it needs 4 more schools, Pitt would be one of those (it makes sense from a regional balance w/ Penn State).

Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College were mentioned in some of the 1.5 million blogs & stories since realignment talk began last year.

So if Pitt & 'Cuse are out — assuming Notre Dame still would never join/receive invite ... who else remains that might fit the Big Ten blueprint? Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas ... isn't that about it?

Note: I have no idea if Syracuse fits B1G profile ... I assume Pitt does ... i'm sure others know more about this than I do (but didn't Nebraska partly break the mold anyway?)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I don't think the B10 is going to expand near term even if everyone else does.

Will likely consider it again when their Tier 1 is up in 4yrs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My opinion, with the Big East in the same spot as the Big XII, the Big XII needs to reach out to Louisville and West Virginia. If we get those two, might as well add BYU to build up the conference, and Notre Dame since the Big East will no longer mean anything in basketball...UCONN as their only major team remaining.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
B1G sat at 11 while everyone else had 12. No reason to think they won't sit at 12 with everyone else at 14 until they feel it's worth it for them financially to expand.

Cyclonefarmer

Mar 23, 2006
rural se North Carolina
It's really a shame to look at our (the B12) beginning for this FB season and believe we should implode. It ought to be several other conferences in panic. This crap is so stupid, as several have said,the leadership of this conference and some of the members need to pull their head out...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As far as football goes a move to the Big East would be a blow because you'll dry up that Texas pipeline since we'll no longer play in Texas every year. The current Big 12 is far superior to the Big East and it's not even close and considering football generates most of the revenue you want the Big 12 to stay intact and even add some teams. As far as basketball goes both men's and women's would benefit because now you have pipelines to the East coast talent and the Big East is definitely a tough basketball conference too. I think the women's program could benefit a lot, you can sell the opportunity to beat Gino at UConn and Vivan Stringer at Rutgers. Add BF to the conference and there is some pretty big names in women's basketball all competing in the same conference.

Ultimately I hope they find a way to get keep the Big 12 intact and even improve it by getting back to 12 teams by adding some good programs. I'm sorry but the Big 12 schools need to fire Dan Beebe ASAP because this is some terrible leadership to allow this thing to fall apart again just after a year everyone said they were united about keeping it together.