Big 8 was filthy nasty good - fact of the day.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
91-92 cyclones were 4 games under .500 in conference play and not only made the tournament but won a game and ran quite well against a monster Kentucky team in the second round. Never realized they were just 5-9 in Big 8 Play that year.

With the coaches in the league right now I can see the big XII getting close to back to this. Tubby, Lon Kruger, Huggins, Fred, Self, Barnes, Even Ford and Drew on the recruiting side lately and if Webber gets a foot hold, I don't see any league that will be consistantly better than the Big XII for the foreseeable future. I can see Drew's recruiting dry up and tcu might just be tcu forever, but outside of those 2. Dang.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
91-92 cyclones were 4 games under .500 in conference play and not only made the tournament but won a game and ran quite well against a monster Kentucky team in the second round. Never realized they were just 5-9 in Big 8 Play that year.

With the coaches in the league right now I can see the big XII getting close to back to this. Tubby, Lon Kruger, Huggins, Fred, Self, Barnes, Even Ford and Drew on the recruiting side lately and if Webber gets a foot hold, I don't see any league that will be consistantly better than the Big XII for the foreseeable future. I can see Drew's recruiting dry up and tcu might just be tcu forever, but outside of those 2. Dang.

That's the year Orr told off Vitale. ISU was on the show with Lefty Driesell (can't remember where he coached at the time). I believe Driesell's team was on the bubble as ISU. The 5-9 conf record had some great wins vs #2 and #3 in nation, but some bad loses as well.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Weber is underrated as a coach, IMO. I really think K-State is a good fit for him and my guess is he'll have a lot of success there for years to come.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Weber is underrated as a coach, IMO. I really think K-State is a good fit for him and my guess is he'll have a lot of success there for years to come.

I don't think anyone doubts his ability to coach, it's his ability (or lack thereof) to consistently recruit skilled players. He's like the antithesis of Scott Drew.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What signs do we have that they won't? A couple of fluke wins in the last 2 years?

They have a good coach, and recruiting will pick up at least some now that they are in the Big 12. Not to mention I think they've had some problems with injuries the last couple seasons.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
IIRC, Driesell was coaching at James Madison at that time; helluva coach, took Davidson, Maryland and James Madison to the NCAAs during his career.

Back to this thread's theme, yeah, the Big 8 during the 80s and 90s was a great MBB conference. The pinnacle, IMO, was 1988 when OU and KU played for the national title; that game made the legend of "Danny and the Miracles."

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What signs do we have that they won't? A couple of fluke wins in the last 2 years?
A coach that has had success with out of getting more out of less, plus a ton of local talent. They return their best players next season and will be better.

KSU with Weber is gong to always be near the top of the conference. He is a perfect fit for them.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
One thing they brought up during the game is how deep the Big 12 is in terms of coaching talent. Self, Weber, Huggins, Tubby, Kruger and Barnes have all taken teams to the Final 4. Makes you appreciate Fred even more for winning games in this conference.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
One thing they brought up during the game is how deep the Big 12 is in terms of coaching talent. Self, Weber, Huggins, Tubby, Kruger and Barnes have all taken teams to the Final 4. Makes you appreciate Fred even more for winning games in this conference.
Yes, between the coaches in this league and the talent in the state of Texas, it is going to be a bloodbath every year.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I don't think anyone doubts his ability to coach, it's his ability (or lack thereof) to consistently recruit skilled players. He's like the antithesis of Scott Drew.
How did he turn around SIU then? He knows how to spot talent and put a team together, which is perfect for KSU. The recruiting thing is largely a myth that resulted from people thinking the coach of the University of Illinois should be recruiting on par with the bluebloods. Only Self has been able to recruit to Illinois at the level many expected Weber to U of I.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
How did he turn around SIU then? He knows how to spot talent and put a team together, which is perfect for KSU. The recruiting thing is largely a myth that resulted from people thinking the coach of the University of Illinois should be recruiting on par with the bluebloods. Only Self has been able to recruit to Illinois at the level many expected Weber to U of I.

He turned them around because he's a really good X's and O's coach? Like I said? I'm one that thinks great coaching with decent talent will always overcome decent coaching with great talent. But it's a lot harder to do that in major conferences as opposed to mid-majors. I'm not saying he won't be successful at KSU, and I hope he is because I like him, but that's the difference between success at SIU and not at Illinois.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The new B12 reminds me a lot of the Big East 4-5 years ago. There are a lot of teams that can beat each other up.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He turned them around because he's a really good X's and O's coach? Like I said? I'm one that thinks great coaching with decent talent will always overcome decent coaching with great talent. But it's a lot harder to do that in major conferences as opposed to mid-majors. I'm not saying he won't be successful at KSU, and I hope he is because I like him, but that's the difference between success at SIU and not at Illinois.
He turned them around because he is a good recruiter and a good X's and O's coach. If you are getting decent talent to SIU, you are a good recruiter. The recruiting Weber did at U of I would be good for most major conference schools.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Yes, between the coaches in this league and the talent in the state of Texas, it is going to be a bloodbath every year.

That was the point to my OP that I meant to emphasize more. With the fraternity of coaches in this league, If they stay for the long haul, I think there is no way any league keeps up with the Big XII over the long haul. And I meant to say, I really believe that the league is headed back to he hay day's of the 80's and 90's. Its gonna be tough, but I hope its gonna be awesome.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
That's the year Orr told off Vitale. ISU was on the show with Lefty Driesell (can't remember where he coached at the time). I believe Driesell's team was on the bubble as ISU. The 5-9 conf record had some great wins vs #2 and #3 in nation, but some bad loses as well.

[video=youtube;1SfWN1AleyI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SfWN1AleyI[/video]

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
yes they will. they're terrible. Tech is not gonna be at the bottom for long.

After Ejim's 2nd alley-oop in a row, I thought this guy is the worst coach in the conference. And then Melvin proceeded to do it again... and then kept on scoring.