"Big 8 Tournament" in Kansas City

Would you like to see a Big 8 Tournament/Classic?

• Yes

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Wouldn't you have to have at least one in conference game? It would be a cool idea, but I think the Big 12 still has a lot of ill will towards Nebraska and Missouri, so they wouldn't allow it.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Wouldn't you have to have at least one in conference game? It would be a cool idea, but I think the Big 12 still has a lot of ill will towards Nebraska and Missouri, so they wouldn't allow it.

Games would be pre-determined so it'd be more of a "Classic" than a "Tournament." Mizzou has played OSU and will play KSU at Sprint; KSU has also played TAMU. Kansas played Colorado at Allen Fieldhouse two or three years ago too.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It would be awesome if all the teams agreed to it but like Chuck said, the Big 12 would probably pressure the schools to not do it in spite of kNU and Missouri. Nobody cares about Colorado.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Games would be pre-determined so it'd be more of a "Classic" than a "Tournament." Mizzou has played OSU and will play KSU at Sprint; KSU has also played TAMU. Kansas played Colorado at Allen Fieldhouse two or three years ago too.

I get that. But if you have 5 teams from the Big 12, one from the Pac 12, one from the SEC and one from the Big Ten, that means two teams from the Big 12 would have to play each other.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

But you'd still have one matchup of current B12 teams as five of the eight teams are still in the B12.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
NO. I am against giving free press and (access to a B12 stronghold city), to schools that abandoned the conference. If you're willing to throw away 100 years of tradition, then you don't get the opportunity to benefit from your past affiliations.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I get that. But if you have 5 teams from the Big 12, one from the Pac 12, one from the SEC and one from the Big Ten, that means two teams from the Big 12 would have to play each other.

You'd have to do it as a 2 or 3 game format and have some sort of rotation in place. If you really wanted to have the whole footprint of the old Big 8 represented, you could just have KU/K-State and OU/Okie State alternate years. Or more likely, because I doubt schools would want to be locked into the event every year, you could play 2 games every year and rotate it so every Big 12 plays 2 out of 5 years and every defector plays 2 out of 3 years.

The idea has potential, but I don't really ever see it happening.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hell will freeze over before Bill Self agrees to play Mizzou.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You'd have to do it as a 2 or 3 game format and have some sort of rotation in place. If you really wanted to have the whole footprint of the old Big 8 represented, you could just have KU/K-State and OU/Okie State alternate years. Or more likely, because I doubt schools would want to be locked into the event every year, you could play 2 games every year and rotate it so every Big 12 plays 2 out of 5 years and every defector plays 2 out of 3 years. The idea has potential, but I don't really ever see it happening.
Or just scrap it. There isn't any way to make it into an event. Piecing it together with multiple teams being on a year/off a year just ends up being a mish-mosh of random games. And KU isn't going to play Mizzou again any time soon so it shrinks the available games even smaller.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I doubt that it would ever happen, but I live in KC, so I'd be all for it.

Honest question: Would it be that hard to have conference foes face off in the non-con and just not have it count towards the conference schedule? Couldn't it just be treated it as another game? I'm not sure of the NCAA rules, I guess.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
Hell will freeze over before Bill Self agrees to play Mizzou.

one thing bill self and i agree on completely. Mizzou gets to renew a rivalry while also screwing over the B12, yeah right. I hope ISU waits a very long time (10+ yrs) before they agree to play Mizzou or Nebraska. Colorado fits better in the west, so less animosity there.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Or just scrap it. There isn't any way to make it into an event. Piecing it together with multiple teams being on a year/off a year just ends up being a mish-mosh of random games. And KU isn't going to play Mizzou again any time soon so it shrinks the available games even smaller.

Just trying to play out the logistics of how it might possibly work. Like I said, I don't think it will actually happen, animosity towards Mizzou being one of the sticking points (Was anyone ever mad at CU, or doing anything other than laughing at Nebby at this point?).

That being said, I don't think a 2 or 3 game event (depending on how game CU, Nebby, and Mizzou would be for being locked in every year) would be so bad. Certainly with the trend towards neutral site games, those 2 or 3 would have a better hook than most of them. It's probably a decent to potentially great game on everybody's schedule. Sprint Center would love it, and I'm sure they'd make it worth it for the schools financially. Basically it's a superior version of the Big 4 Classic.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I doubt that it would ever happen, but I live in KC, so I'd be all for it.

Honest question: Would it be that hard to have conference foes face off in the non-con and just not have it count towards the conference schedule? Couldn't it just be treated it as another game? I'm not sure of the NCAA rules, I guess.

West Virginia and OU played three regular season games in West Virginia's first year in the Big 12. One game was part of the Old Spice Classic that was scheduled prior to WV joining the Big 12. I believe a similar thing happened between Texas and Nebraska in 1996 when Texas joined the Big 12.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
West Virginia and OU played three regular season games in West Virginia's first year in the Big 12. One game was part of the Old Spice Classic that was scheduled prior to WV joining the Big 12. I believe a similar thing happened between Texas and Nebraska in 1996 when Texas joined the Big 12.

Didn't Memphis do this with somebody as well when they were transitioning to the AAC? I think it's more an exception made for previously scheduled events though, this would be a different situation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron